PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tygh

Lurker
Sep 21, 2016
I just received a Peterson rusticated 301 pipe, in unloved shape. What is the easiest way to strip the finish off the outside of the pipe so that I can redo it? It appears some of the staining has come off the front of the pipe.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
To judge by some of the reports I've seen posted, smoking it should do the trick. :wink:
Seriously, though, I would start by trying isopropyl alcohol. Usually drugstores carry the 92%, which is pretty strong.

May 4, 2015
I just stripped a pipe last night with 151 rum, because it's what I had on hand. I'm sure higher-concentration isopropyl would work better though.
Murphy's oil soap apparently can do a good job of cleaning everything up, provided you don't get it inside smoking chamber.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I've used acetone and a stiff tooth brush or something like that and some rags. (do this outdoors, it's very flammable) After it drys, then I soak the bowl in at least 91% isopropyl alcohol for a few hours. While wet from the alcohol use the brush to work around the rustication. Wipe it all down with alcohol and let it set for a day to dry. It may not get it 100% depending how deep the rustication is, but when you get it pretty well stripped down, us some 0000 steel wool to make it all smooth. Re-dye if you wish and buff and wax it. Also, check out Reborn Pipes site for some info too.

Good luck and post some before and after pics, telling us how it went. :)

I believe that it was Rick Newcombe, in Searching for Pipe Dreams, that I had read that he soaked all of his estate pipes in acetone overnight before restoring them. And, as Orley suggests, you can re-dye it, but I would suggest using an alcohol based dye, as used by leather workers. Please post pictures. We love to see pipes in transition.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
I believe that it was Rick Newcombe, in Searching for Pipe Dreams, that I had read that he soaked all of his estate pipes in acetone overnight before restoring them.
Eeeekkkk!!! 8O
I can see using it on the outside of the bowl, but I'm not brave enough to actually submerse a stummel in acetone. Even if it was all in my head I would always imagine I tasted it.

Status
Not open for further replies.