PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatsteaks

Lurker
Jan 14, 2013
Why are you suppose to turn the flame adjustment all the way down before you refill a butane lighter? I do not notice any difference when refilling any of mine.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Rothnh
Is there no end to your infinite knowledge of everything pipe related?
Having sold lighters for many years, I agree 100 per cent
allan

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Is there no end to your infinite knowledge of everything pipe related?
LOL, that is just cool mate. Rothnh does seem to have alot of knowledge for a fact, which is good. Otherwise ya'll would be stuck with someone like me. Now, I also have alot of knowledge, but, unfortunately it is all wrong. hahahahah

pipe8

Might Stick Around
Jan 3, 2013
I use Dunhill Butane, It's very expensive, but know this doesn't always mean quality.

I have heard a few problems with Zippo Blu butane so I didn't get it.

Sadly here in the UK our butane is rubbish!
Anyone had experience with Dunhill Butane?
I guess it can't be bad, Dunhill recommend you use that butane with their £230.00 Old Boy style lighters here in the UK

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
Thank you, rothnh, for that great advice.

I looked over my can of butane and thought it was a local product (Hebrew writing all over) until I looked at the bottom and saw 'made in China."

Oh, well... :roll:

joshremy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
I had no idea there was this much to know about butane lighters!! Thanks for sharing the knowledge and wisdom!!

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Always use highly refined (3X-5X) butane fuel, such as Zippo, Calibri, Xikar, Vector. Cheap butane fuel will cause your lighter to foul/gum up.
It's really basic, the better grade of butane is going to keep the lighter out of the trash longer.

pipe8

Might Stick Around
Jan 3, 2013
Hi Rothn, I contacted both the companies you mentioned last time. I spoke to Lindsay and said she doesn't deal with butane and the other number, no one answered.

I have looked all over the sites and called numerous companies, none of which sell Xikar butane?

In fact Lindsay spoke to me as if I was an idiot!

pipe8

Might Stick Around
Jan 3, 2013
I have done many Google searches for Xikar butane UK etc and it's all American companies.

Where did you read they are a British company?

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
PipeB go to Amazon and get the Vector refined fuel, I believe I got 3 big cans for a little over 30$, it has been filtered 5 times, I gave one to Cajundad and I"m still on my initial can going back to Feb 2012, lasts a long time The old cajun

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Pipe8 here an out of the box suggestion, got any American military bases near you? PXs have butane, friend a military pipe smoker and Viloa , you got butane. The old cajun

pipe8

Might Stick Around
Jan 3, 2013
No Roth, you are a true gent, and I appreciate all the help you have given me, I will take your advice and persist via email.
In fact I will do that now!

Sadly not Brad, none that I know of!

pipe8

Might Stick Around
Jan 3, 2013
I can get my hands on, Dupont, Dunhill, Colibri and Newport,
I have heard bad things about Colibri, not much on Dupont and Newport.

I just chose Dunhill because of their reputation. At £4.19 ($6.57) for 90ml, YES 90ml! I hoped it wouldn't clog the Old Boy!

pipe8

Might Stick Around
Jan 3, 2013
We can also get Zippo Blu, again, heard poor reviews from the Americans, but us Brits don't care and use any rubbish. Pipe smoking isn't anything like it is in the US, most settle with matches or a cheap Bic.
Most people will use Swan or Ronson butane (the most common and well known butane in the UK), the cheapest rubbish ever and they don't mind if the lighter is a pig to light! Strange, but it would annoy me!

pipe8

Might Stick Around
Jan 3, 2013
This is all I get:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Visol+triple+refined+Butane+

Status
Not open for further replies.