PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I was waiting on a pizza the other day, (no delivery out where we live) and I decided to go to a discount tobacco store a couple of doors down. This one was fairly new, and I had only been in there once right after they opened about 2 years ago. Here in the south, these stores usually cater to cigarette and small cigar smokers so there's usually nothing I find too interesting in them. I was really surprised to see all the tobacco products they carried here though. They had all kinds of little cigars and cigarettes for sure, but they also had a lot of snuff, a ton of loose tobacco in various bags, quite a few different pouch tobaccos, some MM hardwood pipes, an old rack with new Kaywoodies, Yello Boles, Medicos, and some cobs of the cheap variety. Man this place was stocked to the gills with tobacco stuff, vape stuff, and what not. Right away I saw they had Prince Albert tobacco, something I hadn't seen in the local shops in some time. I used to smoke this when we first moved here about 14 years ago, and I kept telling myself I should get some more someday. But I never seemed to see it around here anymore, and I always forget to add it to any tobacco order I make.

This was like rediscovering an old friend, I totally forgot how nice this was to smoke! I know a lot of guys think it's like smoking nothing, but it was so easy to smoke and it just gave me a comfortable feeling, nothing complicated or thought provoking, just sit back and relax and smoke and read my book. I'll probably be buying more as soon as this is gone. I had an old PA tin so I stuck the pouch in there just for kicks too.
I was smoking the Prince Albert in a recent cob I bought, the bent Mark Twain pipe. My one complaint with cobs is I don't like the plastic stems too much. If I clench the pipe for any length of time they get chewed up pretty quickly, and they just feel cheesy too. I know a lot of you like the Forever stems, but they are a little expensive. I know I'll probably get one someday, but when I ordered the Mark Twain cob, I decided to get the replacement stem for the free hand cob to use with it. It was less than $8 and is made of vulcanite too. Ok, this is a rather crude stem as you receive it, it needed a lot of finishing to make it look and feel good in the mouth, and also to fit the pipe better. So I ended up spending about an hour sanding and polishing it to a decent fit and shine, and then relaxed the bend in it a little as it seemed too much of a bend for the shape of the pipe. The results were very satisfying though, the looks fit the pipe and it's very comfortable to smoke.
Ah yes, just another day in the wonderful world of pipe smoking.... :puffy:

img_00066-600x449.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
PA is a comfort smoke for me. Yeah, I enjoy the high end stuff, but nothing beats the Prince in a cob with a good cup of coffee.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
It's hard to beat the classic American OTCs in a cob. Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Sir Walter Raligh, Sir Walter Raligh Aromatic, Half and Half, Granger, and Cherry Blend are all great in a cob.

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
PA is a comfort smoke for me. Yeah, I enjoy the high end stuff, but nothing beats the Prince in a cob with a good cup of coffee.
Well said, and I couldn't agree more.

bloodwood

Might Stick Around
Nov 2, 2014
Puyallup, WA
That's a great story and find Orley.

There's nothing like discovering gold especially when you're not looking for it.
I'm on a heavy Codger blend run right now.

Both PA and C. Hall have been my go to blends for a few weeks now.

Regardless of price, I'd still have them in my cellar.
Smoking Sugar Barrel as I type this...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Sugar Barrel is another gem. Too bad it's no longer in production. H&H's Sweet Cask is a great match for it though!

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Sounds like an awesome day and that stem looks great on your cob!! :puffy:
How was the pizza by the way?

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
Great story! I like the PA tin, it's good seeing the vintage tins, really adds character.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Yeah, I've got to try some more codger blends. They're the one tobacco I've kind of ignored for years, and I think they have something different to offer, as long as you don't go in with great expectations. Kind of like comfort food, not fine dining, but very satisfying none the less.
jkrug: pizza was as good as you can expect from Pizza Hut. Again, not fine dining, but better than frozen, and man, sometimes I just want some pizza!

Mar 1, 2014
I bought a freehand stem with my last Cob order, definitely worthwhile.

It's a big improvement to the General.

(remember it only fits on filter compatible pipes)
Some extra finishing is necessary but just to get it working you only need a few minutes of sanding (or carving if you have the right blade).

Status
Not open for further replies.