Reddit's Pipe Tobacco Market Has Been Closed

(49 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by cigrmaster
  • Latest reply from brian64
  1. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just read this on another site and figured people here might want to know. Sounds like someone from their legal department decided they shouldn't expose themselves to the liability associated with tobacco. I wonder how much business was actually being done there?

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. markthelad

markthelad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I never actually bought any tobacco from Reddit, but I did get a few blending recipes that were posted there.
    Hell, I didn't even know they sold pipe tobacco there... dammit, missed out again!

"I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself."
    Johnny Carson
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. woopigpiper

woopigpiper

Login to Send PM

It was a VERY active market with a significant amount of buy/sale/trade activity daily.

WooPigPiper
    u/feernot
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

FB has a lot of buy/sell/trade activity as well - I wonder how long until they pull the plug.

"We have an unspoken, mutual understanding to ignore the things we hate about each other so we can continue to enjoy the things we love about each other."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Too bad tobacco production isn't the lifeblood of some socially marginalized group of sexually fluid tri-racial non-cis-gendered advocates for an endangered species of rodent in Tibet, cuz then they'd be all for it.

As it is, though, tobacco is an evil plot to take over the world by a Hitleresque cadre of sadistic hypercapitalists who exploit the underclasses, so it must be categorically rejected and condemned in every way.

Dogs live such short lives... and spend most it waiting for us to come home
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

FB has a lot of buy/sell/trade activity as well - I wonder how long until they pull the plug.
    They already did.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. woopigpiper

woopigpiper

Login to Send PM

Do not be mislead. This is something that is going to affect the whole interwebs. There are negative repercussions for the SESTA/FOSTA bill that just passed today.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is something that is going to affect the whole interwebs. There are negative repercussions for the SESTA/FOSTA bill that just passed today.

What does tobacco have to do with sex trafficking?

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

What does tobacco have to do with sex trafficking?

Clearly you haven't smoked aged Haddo's

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ah. Everything makes sense, now...

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ok boys and girls, no talking about the sex bill that was just passed. That is an issue for a different thread. Let's please keep this tobacco related.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

cfreud

Login to Send PM

I liked where Sable was going with Haddo's Delight, though.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. thomasw

thomasw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the chuckle George and Sable; not only is Sable the Bard of the Barlings, but also he is the Bard of The Inscrutable.

After some time he felt for his pipe. It was not broken, and that was something. Then he felt for his pouch, and there was some tobacco in it, and that was something more. Then he felt for matches and he could not find any at all, and that shattered his hopes completely.

The Hobbit
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are people buying and selling tobacco all over Facebook, still.

They may not allow it in community sales pages, but in tobacco groups, it's alive and kicking.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Is there a way to look at facebook without having an account? I ain't joining for nothing. I am in hiding and I can't have people know where I am.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Is there a way to look at facebook without having an account? I ain't joining for nothing. I am in hiding and I can't have people know where I am.

Not for the purposes you'd want it for - all the buy/sell/trade groups are closed and you have to join them to see any content.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Tom, maybe I will get one of my kids to let me use their account.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Tom, maybe I will get one of my kids to let me use their account.

To be honest, there isn't a whole lot to see in the groups when it comes to tobacco. At least as of late, it's mostly people trying to offload tins of Frog Morton for $45/bucks each and then everyone else bitching at them for it. It's much more useful for the occasional nice pipe or accessory.

Trading is fairly easy to do on that platform though. Just don't expect to see 2000 Westminster or anything like that on there.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldgeezersmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is not good news for any body. Never used Reddit though I looked at it. The pressures around sales of tobacco just keep mounting. Suppose a web hosting company or two or three decide they don't want to carry (insert your favorite on line vendor) any more. Won't take long before they all follow like lemmings

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The pressures around sales of tobacco just keep mounting.

It would not shock me to see all mail-order tobacco shut down within 5 years.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The only way I don't see that happening is if the cigar lobby buys enough support to keep that from happening. Hell maybe it will end up like the Cuban cigar trade where we have to buy from over seas vendors and take our chances with US customs. I did that for a lot of years back when I was heavy into cigars. I had sources in Spain, Gibraltar, Lebanon, Switzerland, Australia and Hong Kong. I had around 4 or 5 seizures over the years but my sources always covered the loss.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I use the FB method a fair amount. Works well...so far..

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

cerfer

Login to Send PM

It's a shame. I used that forum all the time. I've been smoking a pipe for just one year come April, and I've sampled more tobaccos through that sub than I really have a right too. And, not being as loquacious--nor near as humorous--as Sable, I'll never get to 100 posts here before 2021. Quick and easy, and I even got four ounces of Haddo's Delight from 2004. I think its about eight years too old, but still, there's no way I was going to get samples like that retailers or B&Ms. As a result, I've got a cellar full of tobaccos I love.

I will miss it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

It wouldn't shock me, but it would surprise me. What would not surprise me is a ban of on line sales. In this day of internet based sales, mail order catalogs are like the horse and buggy, but then again, if the various carrier services refuse to ship tobacco to end users, we'd have to rely on, gasp!, B&M's. Remember them?

At least as of late, it's mostly people trying to offload tins of Frog Morton for $45/bucks each and then everyone else bitching at them for it.

People will be people, even on Facebook. Even these groups will likely be forced to cease their activities due to increased oversight of Facebook being suggested in the wake of their latest scandal.

Support your pipe shows! They will become a more important venue for finding goodies in the years ahead unless they don't get support from the community and are forced to close.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What would not surprise me is a ban of on line sales.

Tis what I meant; not mail-order.

if the various carrier services refuse to ship tobacco to end users, we'd have to rely on, gasp!, B&M's. Remember them?

I wouldn't mind relying on B&Ms if the markups and taxes weren't as they are, particularly here in WA. If my ability to order tobacco online went away, I'd probably just not buy any more or at least VERY little comparatively.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

jesse,

if the various carrier services refuse to ship tobacco to end users, we'd have to rely on, gasp!, B&M's. Remember them?

When I first moved to Sarasota(2003) I was thrilled to see I had a real b/m to go to. Bennigntons has been around forever and when I first walked in, I was in heaven. I could buy tins of Penzance or any number of other of my favorites and life was good. Then Florida decided to fuck us pipe smokers with an 85% wholesale tax on pipe tobacco and a tin of Samuel Gawith Best Brown flake shot up to 22.95 a tin. I could buy the same tin online for 9 and change so I couldn't justify buying locally anymore. The poor guy cut his selection of pipe tobacco by 3/4's and now the only people who buy it are tourists from countries with even higher prices.

I still bought a few lighters, pipe cleaners, P&T magazines but I felt bad going in there and not buying tobacco anymore. I would also give him pipes to refurbish for me from time to time, but eventually I stopped going in at all. I don't need anymore lighters and I send my pipes to Walker for ozone or whatever else I need. He does a great cigar business so he is still very successful, but for us pipe smokers, it just isn't viable.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

...but for us pipe smokers, it just isn't viable.

Viable or not, that may remain the only option. When I quit cancer sticks in the early '80's, a pack of cigs was 75¢. Today, the average cost of a pack is a little over $6, and people are still buying millions of packs. We adjust one way or another.

We've had it pretty good price wise in the US, perhaps too good for the tobacco growing industry to continue to produce the kind of leaf used in making pipe tobacco using traditional labor intensive methods that add to the cost as well as the quality.

We all knew that prices would increase, one way or another. How much, remains to be seen.

Access to buying pipe tobacco will be made less convenient. Count on that. So social media outlets will be under attack. On line sales will probably be banned or at the very least tracked and taxed, which may be the only thing that saves them. At some point pipe smokers who haven't been building up stocks will be faced with deciding what it is worth to them to continue with this wonderful filthy habit.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. crimsonrat

crimsonrat

Login to Send PM

We got crunched on the market sub. Still trying to think of a fix...

That place averaged about 1500 unique visitors with 15k or so page hits/day. It was a really vibrant place. Other "marketplace" type places got shut down as well... i.e. /r/beertrades, /r/gundeals. It's the risk you take when it's someone else's sandbox I reckon.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. greider

greider

Login to Send PM

I really liked the scene at reddit. Lots of changes just piling up in the hobby.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The full scope of what is going on with control of the web right now goes far beyond tobacco.

As I have commented before, and as have others, we have been living through the wild west days of the internet...soon to pass into myth.

There is no human vice more pernicious and damaging than control, imo.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  31. skydog

skydog

Login to Send PM

There is no human vice more pernicious and damaging than control, imo

That's the truth. I'd bought and traded pipe tobacco and cigars on reddit and am sad to see them shutting that down. The wild west days of the internet can't last forever though. As Mark Twain said, “Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.” It's always the children we must think of when freedoms are being squashed.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. tobaccojoe

tobaccojoe

Login to Send PM

This is depressing news. I’m not sure how much more I can handle!

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. azpipe

azpipe

Login to Send PM

It was a great place to buy, sell, and trade. It's a real shame that it's gone now. I frequent it just as much as I do here. Different communities but great in their own way.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. greider

greider

Login to Send PM

It was a younger scene, if that makes sense. Lots of folks finding their way in the hobby. I gave away a lot of stuff just because I felt I was passing the torch along.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"It would not shock me to see all mail-order tobacco shut down within 5 years."

Then the knock on effect would be the closing of this very forum!

Regards,

Jay.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  36. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Then the knock on effect would be the closing of this very forum!

Yep. But others, not commercial, would continue.

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldgeezersmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Jay,

Yep. No sponsors.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yup this blows. I used the various cigar subreddits as well for trades and box splits.

They setup a cigar market replacement on mewe.com

"These are ghosts that are more at home in a girdle-filled drawer than one of my pipes." Quote by Neil Archer Roan on lakeland ghosts
    Posted 1 year ago #
  39. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't even know what a reddit is, and I downloaded the app a year or so ago, and I still haven't figured out what it is. Bunch of hipsters!

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  40. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't even know what a reddit is, and I downloaded the app a year or so ago, and I still haven't figured out what it is. Bunch of hipsters

Also don't know what it is or how to use it. Sad to see that folks will miss it, though. Sounds like it was pretty cool.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. seacaptain

seacaptain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tobacco will eventually become like guns - Only ships across state lines from licensed dealer to licensed dealer. Then you buy from a licensed dealer, who will have your complete information and purchase history. Since the government has almost completely taken over healthcare, the insurance company surrogates will want that info to extract even more money from you.

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. greider

greider

Login to Send PM

Reddit’s tobacco group is trying to move to a new home. I’ll update when known.

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldgeezersmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Reddit’s tobacco group is trying to move to a new home. I’ll update when known.

And maybe publish a "(insert name of new home) For Dummies" guide?

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. curl

curl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Social media is becoming a more and more unfriendly place, anti-social to a lot of communities. Facebook and Twitter and YouTube and now Reddit seem to be actively culling the undesirables because shut up. Fortunately, there is plenty of room on the web for people to create their own communities.

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. freepancakesforall

freepancakesforall

Login to Send PM

It definitely was a huge hit. I bought and sold some incredible finds on the reddit market and made some great connections. I'm incredibly hesitant about the current workaround being discussed though: a new forum for all banned reddit communities. I don't want to facilitate deals on a website that also handles alcohol and firearms. It's just asking for trouble. Like putting all the eggs in one basket and attaching flashing lights and a siren. And that's coming from someone who smokes pipes, drinks alcohol, and owns a firearm. I just don't need all my hobbies at once. Like the one time the local gentleman's club had an early morning sushi buffet. Pass.

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Let's get all the folks who sold pipe tobacco over on reddit over to this site. Spread the word.

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

peck, lol...you are a shit stirrer extraordinaire.

Posted 1 year ago #
  48. curl

curl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Peck has a fine idea, but it should be a separate forum so we don't comingle the discussions with the trades.

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

shit stirrer extraordinaire

That would be the ultimate forum member title to aspire to.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   madox07, tkcolo, paulie66scandinavian, cigrmaster, acidpox, alaskanpiper, anthonyrosenthal74, greeneyes, jiminks, glassjapan, tbradsim1, spartacus, mrenglish, danimalia