Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
yeah, I found those but not for $18 shipping.
evidently I need to make a road trip to Canada.

May 31, 2012
There was a brief time I spent looking for good strike anywhere matches and it's nearly impossible for an American to get them anywhere it seems. I had grand plans of getting myself a nice old match-striker...

unball63.jpg

...but it'd be useless without the proper matches.
It's incredibly frustrating trying to find them, I ended up watching auctions for Ohio Blue Tips, but the prices they were fetching were insanely high --- it seems there's alotta demand for a simple reliable strike-anywhere match!
Buying old matches is a gamble also, as they may have degraded over time, getting crumbly puffy heads, I guess it depends on the conditions they were stored in?
This is the most viewed "strike anywhere matches" video on youtube, with 590,019 views. Redbird matches are used and they look to be the real deal, a shame we can't get 'em in the States...

:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfKnuWc_DDI#t=24

:

The 2nd most viewed, 470,795, is a DIY method, but it seems very labor intensive!

The abrupt cut of the ending is kinda funny, he chose to strike the match under his chin, but looks like it burned a bit!

:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi5vq-YVqrs

:

When I was looking for them I ended up visiting alotta survivalist forums, but not much luck finding a source or alternative for true strike-anywhere matches. Of the pipe-smoking world where i read about 'em, many people seemed to think the old Ohio BT's were the best, regarding both reliability and taste transfer.
I gave up on my search.
I did find 2 brands, both made in Chile, possibly made by the same maker? That seem to be available to USA, I never got any so I can't report on their performance...
UCO

http://www.industrialrev.com/strike-anywhere-matches.html
Penley

http://www.amazon.com/Boxes-Penley-Strike-Anywhere-Matches/dp/B009SASN6Q
The Penley brand has very mixed reviews.
I wouldn't doubt that the UCO matches are the same, just marketed for the outdoors crowd?
If you do find a source for the Redbirds, please pass it along,

I'd still like to have meself an old match-striker!

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I use these matches exclusively! If you feller's in the US are unable to get them, I would be willing to throw a couple cases in the mail. And I'm positive I can keep the shipping cost below $18.
PM me if interested.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I bought a case of the Penley's last year and they are OK.

I do love the Redbirds. I buy a few boxes every time that I go up to Algonquin Park.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I've used these for years. Does this mean we actually have something in Canada that you can't readily get in the U.S.?? 8O

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Around here it's nearly impossible to find any kind of "strike anywhere" matches! I finally found a few at a local sporting goods store a while back, just Diamond brand kitchen matches but they do the job.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Pea meal bacon, .303 ammo, Cuban cigars, Redbird matches.

A fella could have a pretty good weekend in the bush with all that stuff.

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
photo5-600x450.jpg

Americans cannot get the strike anywhere matches anymore (something to do with the shipping of the dangerous materials or something like that). I only use theses matches and I make sure I stock up by the case when I get a chance. It helps that Canada doesn't have any restrictions on the chemicals used in the matches, however, you cannot ship them through the regular mail system (it qualifies as a dangerous good). If you ask around American shops, everyone has a different answer: The Chinese are using up all of the chemicals, the 'formula' has changed, the shipping and manufacturing is too expensive for these matches etc. Whatever the reason, I think you can only find them in Canada and Mexico, so if you go by car, stock up if you can. One of the many benefits of being a Canuck.
Shutterbug

Dec 24, 2012
I use these matches often too. They are sold at my local grocery store.
However, I can't find Ozium up here. Luckily I live 30mins away from NY state, so I stock up on Ozium at the walmart in Lewiston NY. Don't know why Ozium isn't found up here.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Good to know on the Ozium Peck, I'm heading to Buffalo next weekend so I'll see about picking up a couple of cans at the Walgreens near my hotel. I've been looking for this stuff to no avail, I guess that explains why! Who knew that matches would be such a problem. I have a few boxes of them but rarely use them unless I'm smoking in doors (which is rare).
And I'm crossing in Lewiston as well, maybe I'll stop at the Walmart on the way to the Buffalo hotel. I'm hitting up the Smoker's Haven in West Seneca, they have some really nice bulk tobaccos and I have people bringing it back for me so I should be able to buy a pretty decent quantity.

Status
Not open for further replies.