PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2015
Had a hankering for a glass of red, so I picked some up. Also have time for a bowl.
Who smokes with wine, and what do you choose? Any particular blends or styles of blends that go with red?

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I choc think i have paired full red with bob choc flake at some point, but in general wine is with food for me, whiskey or tea with tobacco

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I like red wine once and a while. You might enjoy Comoy's cask #2 it has a port wine flavoring to it.

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
How did it go with Stonehaven? And which wine was it?
I don't often drink and smoke, but when I do it's usually whisky, sometimes a strong, dark beer like a stout por a porter.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
GLP Haddo's Delight & Port, Cognac or Armagnac.

Sutliff's Molto Dolce & Mead Honey Wine (almost too much honey flavor, but great as a dessert smoke).
I prefer Whisky, Rum, & Bourbon.

bostoneo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2016
Akron, OH
I really only drink cabs/pinot/red zin when it comes to wines w/pipe or cigars. I havn't had one non-aro that I havnt liked w/wine so....

May 4, 2015
How did it go with Stonehaven? And which wine was it?
I'll tell you - it was damned delightful. Stonehaven is pretty good quality stuff! I won't pursue it to the ends of the Earth like some, as I have plenty of other Virginia blends that are readily available to me, but I am grateful for the sample I received from a generous forum member. I look forward to the next bowl.
The wine was "Ménage a Trois," a pretty common-to-see blend of reds. It's good. Not great. But it WAS the first glass(es) of wine I've had in maybe 2 and a half years and was REALLY enjoyable with good quality tobacco.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Tom, I am glad you found a good pairing. That sounds pretty yummy.
Along the lines of a wine/food type pairing, I can imagine a good red with a smokey, BBQ style tobacco.

May 4, 2015
I would think a grassy Virginia would do better with a white, and as you mentioned, something BBQ-ey like a Dark Fired would go well with a red.
The Stonehaven did JUST fine with the red, though. I felt pretty luxurious sippin' wine and puffing on an Esoterica ;) My wife rightfully made fun of me, as she does.

Status
Not open for further replies.