PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I'm sitting at the B&M smoking some Black Woods Flake and we are having a discussion about Virginia tobaccos. The old guys have never heard of Red Virginia Tobaccos. I know what it smells like, looks like, and tastes like but wasn't sure if it is itself a strain of Virginia or if it gets its ketchup tangy taste and profile from a curing process of regular Virginias. So what is Red Virginia?

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Funny you should ask. I was just reading this, from the C&D website:
"Virginias are primarily classified by their color, and while the exact nuance of hue lends itself to a vast array of categorizations, for practical purposes, think "Red" and "Bright". The relative location of a given leaf on its stalk is what ultimately determines its color; the Brights come from the middle of the stalk and the Reds occur from higher up to the tips. While all Virginias are sweet, the further a leaf moves toward the lighter side of the color spectrum, the sweeter it becomes, but along with that sweetness comes additional acidity and hints of citrus-like tartness. As we move towards progressively darkening colors, along with an increasing depth of flavor comes a taste that shifts to something akin to baking bread."
http://cornellanddiehl.com/about-our-tobaccos.cfm

Reactions: sparker69

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
I have been curious of this also, that's for the info woodsroad.
As for the Blackwoods flake, by my understanding the "ketchup" taste is usually known in McC blends. I have tried both Blackwoods and dark star and the dark star has more of that to me.... I absolutely love the stuff though!! I think it is due to their curing process.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Woodsroad, that's a really helpful excerpt. Thanks for sharing it with us. Dave, thanks for asking the question. It's interesting to me that Reds affect some folks so negatively, especially given that Reds and Brights appear to be harvested from the same plant. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that with flavour differences there are likely differences in biology and chemistry that could cause adverse physiological reactions.
-- Pat

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
The ketchup thing is a McClelland uniqueness. Red Virginias are sweeter in comparison opposed to Brown, Lemon and other varieties. The tang IS Virginia however and Red Virginia delivers on that.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am one of those people who cannot smoke Red Virginia. As soon as the smoke hits my tongue I get a burning sensation like acid hitting my tongue. This is due to a body chemistry thing. I have tried smoking almost every Red from Mac and Rattray and it sucks I cannot smoke them because I do love the flavors. I spent a couple of years trying and I had no idea what was causing the burning. I eventually found plenty of Virginia's that did not contain any red and now have 28 blends in my cellar that have no bite.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
I've tried several straight red Va. and after sometime now I don't care for them much. Mixed with other Va. or other tobaccos and I love what it has to offer but straight? No. I've taken the reds I've tried and blended them with bright Va. and it is much better. Can't wait for them to age more together.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
McClellands Virginia Red Cake 5100 is perfect for mixing but smokes fine on its own. Subtle,

but flavorful and interesting, to me.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
5100...Is there anything that it can't do?
Serendipity is so...serendipitous.

I was perusing the new C&D site, and had just finished reading the Tobaccos page when I tabbed over and saw your question, Shain. I thought "Hey, for once, I have a pertinent answer. As opposed to the usual impertinent answer.
Further serendipity is that I have a 10 pound bag of whole leaf Red Virginia sitting next to me. It makes me feel...like Victory. Now I just have to learn how to use it.

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
I'll give you a pertinent answer... Red Virginia does not taste like "ketchup". Talk to C&D and give them a try. I know the "ketchup-taste" problem with McClelland blends and I don't like it, either! The "late Craig Tarler" smoked exclusively a Tarler-Pease Blend called "Two Friends - Heritage". It is one of my favorite blends that is not of my own origin. I do suggest that you give it a try! It is Red and Lemon Virginia with brown and black Cavendish plus large burley flake for body. It has a miniscule amount of plum, rum and maple topping to bring out the sweetness of the red Virginia. This is not an aromatic tobacco blend. I highly recommend this Tarler-Pease Two Friends Blend! It is one of my favorites and smoked often in rotation with Capt. Bob's Blend that I created with Craig Tarler. If I were on a deserted island I would choose Capt. Bob's Blend and Two Friends - Heritage for my stash.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
bob, Two Friends is a brand that people really do not talk about but they should. When I smoked English blends their Deacons Downfall was one of my favorites, right up their with my favorite Penzance, it had a real creamy component like the Penzance. When I kept trying to smoke red virginia's I loved the flavor of their Redwood which is a vaper and put up with the burn because I loved it so much. Their pricing is reasonable for a high quality boutique brand and people should really take some time to explore their offerings.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
(Ditto Harris on the Two Friends' blends.)
I just opened a 3 yr old tin of F&T BlackJack -- a ready-rubbed red Va flake. Amazing stuff. Maybe the best red I've ever had.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
If you want some more info from a couple of articles right here on PipesMagazine.com, check these out -
1st Q&A here:

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/ask-g-l-pease/ask-g-l-pease-january-2013-volume-21/
About Virginia tobaccos in general:

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/put-that-in-your-pipe/virginia-tobacco-not-from-virginia/

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Here's a necro-bump to provide a relevant illustration I just found. (I hope the fine print is still readable.)

d8961d65-c710-4058-922e-6408aa5f0423_zpsc19a563c.jpg

Credit for the picture goes to N.Carolina St. Univ 2013 pdf image

Status
Not open for further replies.