PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

colcolt

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
I was looking over some of the Sherlock Holmes pipes on CupoJoes and wondered what the term Red Spray was in the description of the Sherlock Holmes Original Pipe Fishtail. They have several with that description to include the Rathbone and Professor series. I hadn't seen that before in a description of those particular pipes...sprayed with something red?
http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/spgm?dpt=H&srch=KW&item=petshorigdf

Aug 14, 2012
I am not crazy about the red spray finishes. The finish is an important factor in the taste of a pipe. Many pipemakers, being taste deficient, ruin otherwise good, and often expensive pipes with the wrong finish. That did not happen with red spray, but it has a dull taste which will be overcome with extended smoking. If you want to try it, I have a Peterson red spray billiard with silver spigot that I would be willing to sell.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
I received this just moments ago.
"Thank you for your email. The "Red Spray" description just refers to the red finish of these pipes. They are stained red instead of the soft brown on the "smooth" series. Please let me know if you have any other questions or if you need anything else in the future."
How can the finish reflect that in the taste? Surely it doesn't penetrate to the inside bowl/shank areas I wouldn't think. I don't know if I could tell the difference if it did.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
You're right; it does not affect the taste, although time will tell if it holds up to the heat. As long as you are satisfied, that's all that counts. I know people who have that series and they are very happy with them. Good luck.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
If you want to try it, I have a Peterson red spray billiard with silver spigot that I would be willing to sell.
I wouldn't mind seeing pics of this. I have been thinking about a spigot for a while now.

mrdoody

Might Stick Around
May 3, 2012
MA, USA
"red spray" picture courtesy of CupOJoes:
srrathd.jpg

doody

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
Red or brown it just sounds like a different stain pigment.

I won't think there would be a difference.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
What's hard to understand is why there's a $200 difference in price between the Rathbone Red Spray and the Rathbone "Natural", the Natural being the more expensive one. I don't think there's any dimensional differences, only the finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.