Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Yeah, after seeing it at a local smoke shop for a while and reading about it here, not being able to get Cotton Boll locally, I finally figured I would give it a try.
First, a little history. Lately I've been liking Burley a lot. I get whole leaf Burley and mellow it various ways, honey, pressing, lightly toasting. My favorite thing now is very lightly stoved Burley pressed, then with a little Bright Leaf (Virginia) mixed in. I even smoke straight, unaltered Burley here and there, which will put hair on your chest. So I thought I might like this straight Burley with a little molasses.
When I lit it up I started thinking, "Wow, cool, this is good". It definitely had a nice straight Burley taste. Upon further smoking another wild, not exactly rank but something like it, taste came through. It kept the Burley taste but the other was forward as well. I have had unaged, unfermented Burley and this was slightly similar (albeit much less strong, fresh 'baccy is unsmokable) but different. Maybe the tobacco wasn't completely aged and the molasses changed and mellowed the rankness some, totally a guess.
I really wanted to like this. At first, and throughout, there was a taste I liked. But I couldn't smoke this much, or even add Virginia. I'm going to try to moisten it and lightly stove and press it. If it tells you anything, I threw away what was left on the cutting tray.
Didn't know if I should resurrect one of the neco-threads on it so's there would be more data points, but just figured I'd start a new one

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
You have more inventiveness and good ideas than I have, that's for sure. I like reading about what you're up to. My adventures are limited to getting another jar of Dark Flake from the cellar, which is about 10 steps away. . .

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I’ve messed with blending from professionally manufactured components and discovered how hard it is. You’re working at an even higher level of difficulty. Hat tip to ya.
I like the idea of tweaking the processes rather than just throwing in more components. That seems more likely to yield something different and enjoyable.
My “secret weapon” was always to add some 5100. Now I’d feel guilty squandering my 5100 stash on my usually meh attempts.
Keep posting your progress. Reading about that kind of work is always interesting and educational.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
renfield-from Dracula?
I tried blending in 2002 and the results were so spectacular that I haven't tried again since.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Salted - yes. I’ve used that pseudonym for decades and still don’t know why I originally chose it. Probably something that would take a team of psychoanalysts to figure out.
I’ve had a couple home blends turn out decent but never anything spectacular. Do you still make those blends?

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The remnant of a mix of brown and black rope got smoked some years ago. I think I was messing with latakia, burley and VA long ago, and it never tasted how I thought it would on either the first or successive iterations. Eeek!

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Sometimes I wondered if my home blends needed some time to meld, probably so. With so many good blends already on hand it was hard to find a reason to keep making meh blends.
Ultimately I had better luck tweaking “pro” blends more to my liking and still do that occasionally. 5100 is like a magic bullet but now I have to ration my stash of that.
I’d really like to try playing with whole leaf as an excuse to build a steam press.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
I'm not exactly doing rocket surgery here ;)
I smoke whole leaf because I can't handle something added to commercial blends. To me, whole leaf is better'n boughten and a lot of people think so, but I could see it not being for everybody.
I used to smoke cigars and didn't like pipe tobacco back then. Coming back to smoking I found whole cigar leaf in a pipe to be an inexpensive way to smoke what I found to be decent quality cigar tobacco. I could smoke Dominican, Honduran, Nicaraguan, and such and compare.
My tastes are changing and I'm finding I'm liking good old Burley in a pipe. There are different was to mellow Burley, and Virginia mellows it and adds a nice flavor too. It's easy to mix a Burley and Bright. If it's too much Burley you can add more Bright and go on smoking and vise versa. It melds and changes noticeably overnight although it I'm sure it would change more over a longer time.
This forum has been a wealth of information for me, albeit I am prolly not the traditional piper. When they made me, the mold was already broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.