PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Over a year ago I began a search for molasses flavoured pipe tobacco and I received very few leads.
I did, however, learn that chewing tobacco is often prominently flavoured with molasses. Especially Red Man.
I was curious, but I put it on the backburner because I didn't want to play with fire and get addicted.
Last week, I decided to give it a shot AND make sure that I never formed a habit in the process.
Enter Red Man Plug - the only chewing tobacco I can procure locally.
The 40g plug was smaller than I imagined, though of course it is quite compressed.
The flavour was not quite as molasses-forward as I hoped, but it was nice enough with a strong taste of raisins.
It was obviously sweet and sticky and one dimensional.
First problem: incredible burning sensation the first time I tried a small bit... I spit it out and decided to try again later.
I cut off a small amount of some plug the next day and popped it into my mouth before I went for a walk. There was no burn this time and the experience was pleasant enough. It wasn't long though, especially as a nicotine lightweight, before the nicotine made itself known and I was feeling a hearty buzz.
After awhile the flavour was gone, my heart was beating pretty fast, and the chaw had been thoroughly crushed by my jaws so I spit it out and finished up my trek. I wasn't nauseous but I was well aware that I had consumed a lot of nicotine.
I had another small portion before I began work on some outside chores. Again, the experience was alright - nothing too extreme but I was definitely feeling it!
That evening I had a few drinks. That was probably where I got too big for my britches. I had two or three generous helpings of chew after I had finished consuming my alcohol - generally I chewed the flavour out of it and reloaded over the span of several hours. I never got too dizzy and I never got sick, but I basically sprung out of my alcohol buzz with a large dose of nicotine... (FYI I am a 1-2 bowl per day pipe smoker, with days off)
So my experience with Red Man Plug was fairly decent. Until the next day.
Can you say dry mouth, irritability, anxiety, irregular heartbeat, slight dizziness, and a general fatigue?
It wasn't terribly intense, because I functioned all day but it was unpleasant as hell.
Guess what? It carried over into the next day...
48 hours after touching any chew, I'm still reeling from the withdrawal. Is that to be expected? I didn't think I was being moderate, by any means, but I didn't think that it'd have such a strong lasting effect after a day's use. I'm going to fire up my pipe now, and hope to ween myself off this slightly sick feeling...
Anyway, I've shown myself that chew is no joke and that it is pretty tough to use recreationally unless you've got nerves of steel and you can limit yourself to occasional taste once a month or something like that.
The thread discussing addiction somewhat compelled me to post, because unless you are smoking super strong blends at a frequent basis then it is pretty hard to make pipe tobacco as addictive as chewing tobacco... I'm glad that I tried it, but I wouldn't especially recommend it and I would rather stick to my pipes any day. (Even though I enjoyed the novelty of it - I would never want a habit that made you this sick after a day's use and was so rough on your mouth)
I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on Red Man Plug (or loose leaf) and the effects of chewing tobacco in general. No judgment from me on whether you like it or hate it - I can see the reasons why people would be attracted or repelled by it - I am just curious...

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
I use skoal 'dip' on a if that makes sense lol When i first started using i felt the same as you did the next day. i would say you were very intense in how much you used being a first time user. I use when im outside doing yard work or something similar. its my one guilty pleasure i keep from my wife because she HATES it. I figure if thats the worst i do then i guess im not too bad. I still get the occasional buzz from it every now and then even though i dont use frequently. I wouldnt say i was addicted to it, but i VERY easily could be. thats why i try not to use it very much. I have never tried traditional chew though but i assume the sensation would be similar. from what i know, the nicotine enters your bloodstream much much faster than with smoking, especially if your not even inhaling your pipe.

deithial

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2012
As a chewer/diper and big Vitamin N advocate. The nicotine enters the blood slower than say smoking a cigarette. What gets you is the nicotine stays in your body on average about 20 to 30 min after your have stopped chewing/dipping. With smoking with lung contact the nicotine spikes and then falls just as fast after you have stopped smoking.
Sounds like you where experiencing some nicotine withdrawals. You have to keep in mind though that "plug" form is alot more concentrated than say loose leaf redman mainly due to the fermenting process. If you are at all curious about some others notherner .com is a good site for some variety. But, all in all, only ones worth a damn imo is Redman, Levi Garrett, & Lancaster are all great. Stokers is king for quality
Happy chawin.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I definitely went overboard - my plan was to keep it small initially but I decided to push my boundaries a bit.
I can't see ANY woman approving of chew or dip, so I'd say that's a smart idea to keep it from her! It's not a big sin to have and if you don't get addicted it'll be your little secret indulgence every once in awhile.
I can definitely see how easy the addiction can take hold. The physical power of it is enough to make you addicted right away, let alone any habits or psychological factors at play...
I inhale occasionally with my pipe, but I've been trying to cut it out. On the whole though I am pretty sensitive to nicotine so I guess it's not too smart to experiment with such potent forms of tobacco. I'm glad to have experienced it, though, so I can judge for myself rather than relying upon heresay.
It definitely doesn't take long to notice - I'd say some people will feel its effect in seconds.
I'm smoking my pipe now and its unfortunately not providing any relief. It tasted more pleasant for a few minutes but now it is just making things worse. I was hoping that it'd take the edge off my discomfort. Looks like I'm going to be feeling the aftereffects for another while instead!

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
deithial, didn't see your post until the last one was submitted...
Thanks for the information. I'd heard of Levi Garrett but the others are new to me - the site, too I will have a look around northerner.
As I said, I'm no nicotine bigshot so you are right about the withdrawals.
I'd be curious to try loose leaf to test the potency difference but honestly I don't know how often I'll be buying this stuff! Probably not very much. I didn't think about the effect fermentation would have on plug, though, that is a very good point. I was just thinking of it as a different format...
I see how this stuff is popular in the great outdoors where smoking can be too complicated. It certainly provides a rush, too, if one is ever in need of a pick me up! But for my purposes the effects appear too strong for casual use so I'll be happy with very occasional experimentation I think.
PS: Hawk, I've considered it but I'm going to try to do without it tonight and see what tomorrow brings me! Thanks.

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
Red Man is my favorite chewing tocacco, I always buy the loose leaf. I could never tell a difference between the loose and the plug as far as flavor and strength is concerned. I have always enjoyed the taste of it, much like you decribed about the raisin type flavor. It does produce a burning sensation when you first load up, and that is part of the experience. I will chew when I mow the yard, and other activities when smoking is not practical for me. I chew once in awhile at work, and mostly chew when I'm by myself. The only time the nicotine has ever really made me sick, is when I first had a good long chew when I was 15 years old, needless to say I threw up my guts, after that experience it really never bothered me any more. If it happens to bother me, it is usually because I have not eaten in a good while. The effects of nicotine can be very unpleasant and even dangerous, But you should be on the mend now, and that nasty feeling should be going away. :puffy:

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Since I was way younger than I care to admit, I've enjoyed about every form of tobacco at one point or another. I've smoked, puffed, sniffed, dipped, and chewed. From my experience nothing delivers the punch of the N more than chew. I had quite the fondness for Lancaster loose leaf and Levi Garrett Plugs. For smokeless, the chew was by far my favorite although I did keep a can of Copenhagen or Kodiak Wintergreen around from time to time.
If my wife wasn't so grossed out by it, I would still be chewing today. Fortunately, it's probably better that I don't and I'm more than content with my cigars and pipes so I have no reason to complain at all.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Well I haven't come close to throwing up yet so at least I'm that far ahead. ;)
I think I'd prefer the loose leaf as it'd be easier to handle straight from the pouch.
I've been hesitant to try stronger pipe tobaccos lately so I figured if I could survive the Red Man than I'd be able to smoke a small bowl of something more potent than I am used to...
yohanan, how long will a pouch of Red Man last you? (And how much do they contain?)
msandoval, what does Levi Garrett taste like? What is the predominant flavour?
I must say that dip doesn't appeal to me at all, despite the fact that it is similar. (Or snuff)
And I repeat, chewing tobacco doesn't seem very high up on the "things women will tolerate" list. :lol:

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
it might be high on the non tolerable list, but my wife cant tell when ive been dipping at work, but can smell the pipe on me if ive smoked at work. so less tolerable yes, but also easier to hide. one of the things i like about it is that once i get rid of the pinch, the smell and taste is gone.

mangers

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
My brother chews Redman and talked me into giving it a try. Well just a few minutes after I put it into my mouth I turned green and was hugging a tree emptying my breakfast all over the lawn. Never again!!

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I guess if you took enough out of the blue then that could easily happen! I'm glad I never tried it before now because I don't think I would've handled it very well.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Say it with me: M O D E R A T I O N...
"Excess on occasion is exhilarating. It prevents moderation from acquiring the deadening effect of a habit." -- W. Somerset Maugham
Actually, I agree with you ohin3...but I couldn't resist...your comment made me think of that quote.

juvat270

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2011
I used to love the taste of Redman. Unfortunately its not a very discreet way to chew and seeing as how I was using chew as substitute for smoking when I was unable to do the latter, I stuck with Skoal and Copenhagen for the most part. I agree though, if you want maximum nicotine, chew is the way to go.
First problem: incredible burning sensation the first time I tried a small bit...
Its like battery acid poured on your gums! I used to like it when it would do that. :D

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Honestly, from my point of view, every time you chew tobacco it will be excessive because that rush will be just as intense unless you learn to tolerate that level of nicotine.
The only way to be "moderate" would probably be to restrict your usage such as Hawk has done and I plan to do. (For as long as the rest of my Red Man lasts anyway)
I am skeptical that moderate pipe smoking can prepare one for chewing tobacco, for example, unless one regularly enjoys ropes/plugs/twists et cetera.
Good quote Brian. "Everything in moderation, including moderation."
I was aware that I was taking things too far when I opted to chew several times, I just underestimated the fallout.
Perhaps I can indulge in a few weeks or a month and just have a small amount without any dire consequences!
Juvat: When I initially tried it, I had just been drinking a hoppy beer and I think that is what accentuated the strong burn! When I tried it later, it was noticeable but not as caustic as the first time!

Status
Not open for further replies.