Tags:  No tags yet. 

Red Cake May Be A Thing Of The Past

(54 posts)
  1. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Per Jiminks from another forum.

Sad news for fans of this blend. Smoking Pipes said there's no more 5100 Red Cake. Apparently this years crop of Carolina Red Virginias were not up to McClelland's standards, so when it's sold, it's gone. They don't know when more may be produced.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think it will be back, it's too big of a money maker for McClelland. At least McClelland is keeping up with their standards which I appreciate.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigpond

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Don’t know when it will return is a far cry from will never return. It will be interesting to see the blowback this has on microblenders for which 5100 is the foundation of so many blends.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

derekflint

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What about next years crop ?

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good for them, upholding their standards.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. bluegrassbrian

bluegrassbrian

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Kinda glad a local shop just got a big order in. I haven't had any 5100 in about 6 months, so I'll be sure to stock up.

Tobacco's a help because it clears the mind
    But like all your friends it is vilified
    They always say, the right amount's fine
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Captain Black Grape has been dethroned.

5100 is the new Penzance.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Was it sold out everywhere before he made the post, or after?

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. gecko13

gecko13

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ok, I have 8 ounces.....starting bid $75.00?

"To Learn Who Rules You, Find Out Who You Can't Criticize" Voltaire

"The pipe draws wisdom from the lips of the philosopher, and shuts up the mouth of the foolish; it generates a style of conversation, contemplative, thoughtful, benevolent, and unaffected..."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. theloniousmonkfish

theloniousmonkfish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ok, I have 8 ounces.....starting bid $75.00?

That's funny, the only shop I know that carries it charges 7.50 an ounce, you might need to up the starting bid.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I'm on a red Virginia roll right now. I sort of cycle through flavor profiles over a course of time and red is currently in the pipes. On its own, 5100 may be the single most boring blend on the face of the earth, very light in flavor when fresh. So I have it jarred in the hope that it will develop into something more interesting over time. It's a great component for blending and its interruption may have a ripple effect on the wider market. I would be surprised it it just disappeared. I suspect that it will be back, hopefully next year.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

5100 is an old favorite. True, it's a simple experience, but it always satisfies a certain yin for Virginia, and nothing else. I'll look forward to its reappearance when a suitable crop is available. It's a great condiment tobacco for home mixes, but, to me, always pleasing as a single leaf when the mood strikes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. weedsnager

weedsnager

Login to Send PM

Sold out everywhere online !

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I hope this doesn't also affect some of my favorites like their Fragrant Matured Cake and their Old World Classic.

"These are ghosts that are more at home in a girdle-filled drawer than one of my pipes." Quote by Neil Archer Roan on lakeland ghosts
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tobacco isn't what it used to be as a cash crop in the tobacco belt, but it is still a huge and profitable base for many farmers. Sold mostly by contract rather than auction these days. A suitable crop should appear next year, or soon. Otherwise, there's something else going on.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

A suitable crop should appear next year, or soon. Otherwise, there's something else going on.

Hints of ominous developments on the horizon? Could this be the beginning of the end of McClelland?

(Settling down with my popcorn to watch how the geezer network reacts to this unfounded rumor)

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

P&C doesn't have very many McC Bulks listed. They must be getting ready for inventory.
    Red Cake is a very good Virginia, and if you are focusing on Virginia flavor without perique or sweet casings, then 5100 has a lot of flavor. You just have to have the right palate for it. It's a "you can't taste the flavors in tea if you've been drinking coffee," sort of thing.

But, if you've been smoking Red Cake for flavor, there are lots of diversity among the McC tinned red Virginias. But, if you merely wanted it to fill up your cellar cheaply,.. then oh well.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeh, I've grown weary of tales of doom and gloom.
    Red Cake is a blended red Virginia.
    This year's crop would have just come out if the flue a month or so ago, pending where it was grown. Unless the whole cure process was botched by a farmer, but I can't imagine a whole crop getting botched. I wouldn't have wanted to see that farmer's face... But, usually it takes two or three sweats to bring out the flavors, which means there could have been something that has been slowly going awry on McClelland's end.

If we speculate wildly enough, maybe Mike will come on and correct us. Getting the popcorn...

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm not mostly a Virginia smoker, but when I shop for VA, I think immediately of McClellands. They seem to have some of the most sophisticated and nuance blends, and the greatest variety, similar to what C&D does with burley. There are many superb Virginia blends from others, but McC's seems to be the one-stop shop for Virginias.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. piffyr

piffyr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

P&C doesn't have very many McC Bulks listed. They must be getting ready for inventory.

I wouldn't doubt it. PA (P&C's home state) put a new floor tax on tobacco products within the past year or so. The return and payment is due annually at the end of December.

RESPECT THE PIPE!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

jitterbugdude

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

but it is still a huge and profitable base for many farmers

Absolutely not! Big tobacco rips off tobacco farmers every chance they get. It works something like this: The farmer and big tobacco sign a contract for x amount of tobacco for which big tobacco will pay a measly $1.99/lb ( not sure the current rate, might be a few pennies higher). Then when the crop comes in, big tobacco has a thousand reasons why it isn't the grade of tobacco specified in the contract so big tobacco offers the farmer considerably less money.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tobacco definitely doesn't bring in as much money as cotton, corn, or soy does per acre, but for the soil conditions of these regions it's grown on a large scale, it has its merits penny to penny per acre. What you gain in money for the crop for fruits and veggie, you lose in labor, storage, and shipping costs. Tobacco affords you the luxury (like cotton) of setting aside a crop for a few years for prices to rise.
    Virginias are a little more touchy, because of the cure. But, different pipe tobacco companies probably have different relationships with farmers.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cosmic, interesting report on the relative markets in crops, comparative costs, ability to store a crop for price increases, etc. Factors us city boys don't always observe. Both my late wife and my wife, and my dad's family, were involved in farming (my dad just summers), so I have more exposure than most, but this detail is illuminating.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have to weigh the market before planting and decide which cooperative to join. Unfortunately, I have no contacts to switch to tobacco.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I once aged a pound of Red Cake for ten freaking years hoping the age would stop the acid burn I was getting on my tongue. After ten years it still burned my tongue so I traded it away. I had no idea that it was the red virginia tobacco that was burning my tongue at the time because I would not have traded it for other blends that also had reds in them. As far as (I am concerned red virginia tobacco can go to hell and stay there for it is the devils weed.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  26. gecko13

gecko13

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How do you really feel Harris?

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What a delicate little tongue you got there, tuff guy, ha ha.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My tongue is not delicate, just ask my last girlfriend.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldgeezersmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@cigrmaster, there are others that share your problem with red Virginia's. Fortunately I am not one of them. For me I think Cosmic hit the nail on the head with this:

Red Cake is a very good Virginia, and if you are focusing on Virginia flavor without perique or sweet casings, then 5100 has a lot of flavor. You just have to have the right palate for it. It's a "you can't taste the flavors in tea if you've been drinking coffee," sort of thing.

I also like 5105, which is different from 5100 but doesn't impress others as a flavor bomb. I think it is too often viewed as a blender only, but it is delicious on it's own. 2010 bulk is also under appreciated, as is tinned #22. All worth trying if you grow tired of heavily cased and/or topped so -called "straight" Virginias. And all great for the first half dozen or so bowls in a new pipe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I could never understand all the fuss about 5100, then lost interest.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm always happy when others don't like what what I like. It means that there's one less person snagging that last tin of Blackjack off the shelves. Every time I have found a tobacco that I think repulses me, I start finding redeeming qualities in the damn stuff. I need to find a way to become more exclusive and staying that way.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. User has not uploaded an avatar

gnarlybriar

Login to Send PM

One of the problems - for not only 5100 and similar - but other Virginia tobaccos for pipes (we are the connoisseurs, you know) - is that tobacco isn't being harvested as it use to be - by pulling leaves as they ripen - leaving the unripe leaves to be pulled later (which takes a tremendous amount of hand labour therefore, $'s. Now, the entire plant is machine harvested, taking ripe and unripe leaves at once. The consequences of that are that we will see little of the quality of leaf that McClelland (and others) specified/searched for/paid dearly for - so that we could enjoy superb quality pipe tobaccos.

Save your Confederate money boys - the South will rise again - someone said.

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One of my all-time favorite blends that I put in a few Mason Jars about 15-years ago and am now down to less than 50 grams -

One part McClelland's 5100
    One part Rattray's Black Mallory
    One part Five Brothers

I call it Mallory Brothers 5100. The Black Mallory offers a gentle Latakia flavor with Oriental spice in the foreground. I get added sweetness from the 5100 and strength from the Five Brothers. I have to go now. I'm off to pop the top on that Mason Jar and load up!

Pipestud
    Posted 1 year ago #
  34. brightleaf

brightleaf

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been watching P&C for awhile waiting for 5100 to be restocked, it didn't go out of stock due to this thread. I will hold out hope for the reasons piffyr mentioned.

POSSIBLY, contentment is not only the chief element of life, but also one of the very foundations of society. If this be so, then as Tobacco is the enemy of malice, friend of virtue, and a direct cause for content, its use should be encouraged. -J.W. Cundall 1901
    Posted 1 year ago #
  35. weedsnager

weedsnager

Login to Send PM

I emailed smokingpipes.com
    Here's their response-

"Until further notice, McClelland has discontinued 5100 Red Cake. They have been unable to source an essential blend component, and instead of releasing an inferior product they have decided
    to discontinue it until they can produce it to their standards."

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. balkisobrains

balkisobrains

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

El Fumador website says that they have some. That was the only place that I could find that claimed to have it in stock.
    I would definitely call ahead with them, since they have had incorrect tobacco inventory online before.

I have enough 5100 and want to make room for other blends, so I have some aged jars available in my sales thread, for basically what I paid for it. =)

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

this years crop of Carolina Red Virginias were not up to McClelland's standards, so when it's sold, it's gone.

wow- how often does this happen in any given industry? Not too often I'd wager. Good for them for sticking to their standards.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cosmic makes a good point about not tooting your horn when you discover something off the beaten path that you really enjoy. I might mention some of these in "what are you smoking," but no need to ballyhoo them. It can take years for a trend to catch a good blend, and some good blends never get the spotlight. More than several of the blends I thoroughly enjoy are never lauded online. So be it. Puff-puff.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Cosmic makes a good point about not tooting your horn when you discover something off the beaten path that you really enjoy

The rub to that, is if you like it, and a lot of it doesn't sell, it gets discontinued.

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I actually had some of this mixed with Prince Albert the other day. Old fella at the local shop had some, it was a pretty good combo. Might help you all stretch it out further too.

I know what I need, smoke, I can't recall the last time I tasted it....Gandalf in the mines of Moria.

"we shall have to share pipes, as good friends must at a pinch'....'I keep a treasure or two near my skin, as precious as rings to me. Here's one: my old wooden pipe. And here's another an unused one...He held up a small pipe with a wide flattened bowl, and handed it to Gimli. 'Does that settle the score between us', said Merry. 'Most noble hobbit, it leaves me deep in your debt."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  41. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The rub to that, is if you like it, and a lot of it doesn't sell, it gets discontinued.

We see how well that worked out with the orange flavored Rattrays that you like, ha ha. Now, every newbie with a bank account is scanning the sites for that blend. It was hard to find before, but now it's like Penzance level difficult to find.

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. User has not uploaded an avatar

headhunter

Login to Send PM

Goodness I hope not, my main smoke

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. zitotczito

zitotczito

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just checked the cellar and have a pound jarred up and with over two years age on it. Hmmm, I knew I was making a good investment.

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. brightleaf

brightleaf

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nothing like lack of supply to cause a feeding frenzy. Good luck catching gold.

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

We see how well that worked out with the orange flavored Rattrays that you like, ha ha. Now, every newbie with a bank account is scanning the sites for that blend. It was hard to find before, but now it's like Penzance level difficult to find.

Not if they call around. I have a source for that, and Blossom Temptation.

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Until further notice, McClelland has discontinued 5100 Red Cake. They have been unable to source an essential blend component, and instead of releasing an inferior product they have decided
    to discontinue it until they can produce it to their standards."

That shows outstanding integrity! Bravo McClelland!

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. weedsnager

weedsnager

Login to Send PM

I have a relative that found some at his local B&B if anyone is interested....not cheap thou...$79 a pound !

Posted 1 year ago #
  48. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

49. User has not uploaded an avatar

jitterbugdude

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Does anyone really know for sure what the problem is? I keep hearing that Red Virginia leaf is not available but then we have this..

They have been unable to source an essential blend component
    which tells me that it might be an issue with getting a certain casing, not leaf. I know that about 2years ago (maybe 3) that the Red Virginia crop was pretty dismal though.

Posted 1 year ago #
  50. btwes7

btwes7

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Have a pound in the cellar and just to be on the safe side, picked up another eight ounces at my local B&M today.

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm glad I finally read through this thread, just ordered the last 8 oz Mars had. I use 5100 to blend, so I have a back up plan.

Dave
    Duke Street Irregular
    Posted 1 year ago #
  52. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I know that about 2years ago (maybe 3) that the Red Virginia crop was pretty dismal though.

That makes more sense to me, as this year's crop would have just come out of the flues, and not have had time to even get in one sweat.

Posted 1 year ago #
  53. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well this news stinks. I'm only down to about an ounce of my 5100. I love this stuff. Was just looking to re-order some. So much for that. Crossing my fingers that it comes back.

Posted 1 year ago #
  54. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

metal, if you want to do the leg work, I would be willing to bet you can find pounds of it at the small mom and pops. Remember that most small places who allegedly make their own blends, actually use Mac tobacco to do so. I am sure they have pounds of 5100 stocked away to make their blends.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   georged, mikefu, sasquatch, ben88, olkofri, acidpox, ekert, ashdigger, cranseiron, derhammer, alsatmem, pappymac, catyrpelius, rdavid, bassbug