PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Interesting idea. Wouldn't have to be for logging in individual smoking experiences. Could be used a a scrapbook

for various smoking related items. Logging in has a sort of appeal to the obsessive/compulsive side, but pipe

smoking, to me, is more meditative and creative, so I would't want to overdo the record-keeping aspect. For

some, it might be a perfect addition.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Could also do molskin type books - this one just looked cool.
Incidentally I've setup a pipesmoking pin board on pinterst:

http://www.pinterest.com/pylorns/pipe-smoking/
There are some others:

http://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=tobacco%20pipe%20smoking&rs=ac&len=12

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I keep a small faux leather journal about my pipe smoking. Generally just thoughts on blends, ideas about what would be better or notes about blending.
Nothing too wild, just references for later when I need to compare thoughts and impressions.
Also, if the tins come with a card in them, I'll slip it in the journal.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
pylorns: where did you get the leather journal with "pipes and tobaccos" embossed on the leather? I might try to order one if it isn't too pricey.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I have a rundown of my pipes and how they each smoke as well as the tobaccos I've tried and my opinion of them on my Ipad.

Jan 8, 2013
Very cool :) I like your pin board by the way, especially the Norman Rockwell painting with the coffee instructions. I've developed a real love for Rockwell since I've started smoking a pipe.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
I think logging's a great way to develop your palate - I recently started keeping a little journal of tasting notes, and obliging myself to slow down and think about the smoke helps me detect subtleties and nuances that would otherwise have passed under the radar.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I used to keep notes on different blends, but then got tired of it. Eventually I developed a system in my cellar, where I have these different shelves, built into the back of the basement, and when I finish a tin, I'll put the best ones on the top shelf, lesser ones on the lower shelves, etc. After years of doing this, I can revisit the empties on the top shelf, and see what I want to reorder, in larger volumes. Works for me.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
I love leather bound books. They go great in my house which smells of rich mahogany.
nice anchorman reference :lol:
I keep track of my smokes in a regular composition notebook. Which tobacco in which pipe, packing method, flake prep if applicable, relights. Try to nail down some of the flavors, but most of the time it's just "good," "enjoyable," or not. Takes only a few minutes, and I clean my pipe afterwards. I'll jot down some other ideas in there about smoking if I have them.
Trying to find which tobaccos smoke best in which pipes. And what other factors make for a good smoke. Because I wouldn't be able to remember, since I only have a few bowls a week.
So, since doing this, I've already found that I much prefer my flakes either fully rubbed out, or cube cut. These I can keep lit more easily. So, for now, I'm prepping my flakes those ways until I can improve my smoking technique and keep a fold&stuff lit

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
@tennsmoker not mine, I came across the picture and re-pined it. But there are plenty of sites out there that do leather bound books that you can get writing on.
But, upon further inspection - I found that the item came from here:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/sorringowlandsons

Status
Not open for further replies.