PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
I was rummaging around in the garage yesterday and found a few old "worthless" pipes I bought a few months ago. I looked at one in particular, a Red Dot Bulldog. Worthless as far as any collector value. Just a cheap pipe. Even the stamping is almost worn off. But it didn't have a single bit of chatter on the stem, stummel looked good so I figured why not. I polished and waxed the old dog up and now I think I may have a new go to work pipe. It's lightweight, clinches great, and feels great in the hand. So all this to say give those old beaters a second chance, even if it is a no name worthless pipe. You may end up with a trusty friend.
48FAD02F-9701-4B3A-8B31-765647FC242D_zpsj8ulp9kw.jpg

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
Found an old Meerschaum this week, among some ten year old tobacco. Going through drawers here is like going shopping.
Got two bulldogs from eBay coming. EGR playing an editor smoking one of these comes to mind.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
"Old beater" is in the mind of the beholder. Some of these old factory pipes, the result of good and consistent well-rehearsed patterns on the assembly line, often manned by good crafts people, can come up terrific smoking tools. With a little passage of time -- like old cars from the 1950's and such -- the elegance and brilliance of their design also surfaces. You have to clear you mind of the enchantment of expensive pipe (which I certainly appreciate and share) and believe your own eyes. After a while, these old car and shop pipes may creep into your quality pipe rack and be seen in a whole new way.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Wow that pipe looks too good to be a beater pipe.
I wish I could find pipes in my junk drawer.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
Than you. It spurred me to hunt for a pipe that ended up in a bedroom closet. An old friend.
uno.jpg

dos.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Back to the original post photo, those are among the deepest bead lines I've ever seen. They look almost like those pipes with grooves all the way down the bowl, for dissipating heat. I think that adds to the charm of design on this pipe. I have no idea what nation or what make produced this pipe. It doesn't remind me of anything else in look or materials.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"You know, these cheap pipes can smoke just as well as a pipe for which someone plunks down a good four figures."
How so true Jesse, I have many 'low to mid end' pipes that are absolute crackers in the smoking department. I also have a sole (estate) Dunghill pipe that smokes like a pig inasmuch as the bowl heats up so much I can barely hold the damned thing :roll:
Regards,
Jay.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
Red Dot was American made, apparently by Whitehall. That all the info I could find. But your right MSO, the grooves are very deep.

Status
Not open for further replies.