Reconditioning an Old Pipe. Before/After (pics)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2014
wv
Here is an ongoing project I just finished up. It's been a while since I've been able to work on any of my own pipes. These LHS Sterncrest push stems are great old burners. The before pictures show that the previous owner thought so too.
Upon arrival: Charred, beaten, and severely out of round.
l6uRuvMl.jpg

I started out by putting it on the topping board until I reached fresh briar.
AHSDhMpl.jpg

Next I set out to correct the bowl chamber. It's not perfectly symmetrical but looks a little better now. The chamber had a few deep gashes from what I guess was a pocket knife. It would later receive pipe mud and a carbon coating.
IctQaSGl.jpg

I beveled the rim, then steamed and sanded the dents scratches. After the briar repairs I worked out the tooth chatter with heat, needle file, and wet sanding.
tBQiKG4l.jpg

Once all the repairs are complete, it's time for the fun stuff. I mixed up some Fiebing's dark brown and added a touch of oxblood for the stain. Finishing with a coat of carnauba and adding the carbon bowl coating.
l6uRuvMl.jpg

x4sZCuAl.jpg

KQCutlLl.jpg

cbux3ZEl.jpg

kvIv7zPl.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Nice work. The "angled rim bevel" a la GBD especially so. :clap:
If you have a suitable heat source, try straightening the now-slightly-upturned stem a smidge. It's unevenly cut (not your fault), but the lopsidedness can be minimized with some creative heat, I think.

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
Excellent work and I really like how you tapered the rim. Beautiful.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Excellent job Dave! As always. Since I'm probably most of the reason why you haven't been able to work on your own pipes. Amazing! :worship:

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Thanks everyone. This was a fun project. It's nice when they turn out better than expected. I love working on the briar part of restorations. Stems? Not so much.
George, thanks. That means a lot coming from the master. I may have put the stem in upside for the pics, but I'll give it a heat and bend if that's not the case.
Jpm, if you put the pipe in the freezer overnight it will usually make removing the band a bit easier.
Al, yes I do everything by hand with the exception of a few minutes on the buffer for wax application. (Sandpaper and lots of free time)
Scrooge, yes it's all your fault. Lol.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Wonderful restoration Dave! I happen to favor beveled rims on smooth pipes, but don't always do it for some reason. (just lazy?) I take it the band was not a repair band, and I also thought the stem might be upside down too. Love seeing these restorations, keep em coming! :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.