PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beerzombie

Lurker
Mar 1, 2015
Quit cigarettes in '97. Around 2010, discovered I can smoker cigars again without regressing. (had an occasional pipe throughout college '88-'92)
Would prefer the LOWEST nicotine reasonable.
I'm a craft beer geek so I tend to like the sharp, citric, cat-pissy (in a good way) flavor of hops but also appreciate the dark, brooding flavors of stouts: cocoa, roastiness, leather, oak. I also like bourbon. I tend to drink it neat. (I like to get slapped around a bit when I drink). I like the oak and vanilla notes.
I do not think I would like aromatics (though I could be wrong) as I don't, typically, like sweet things: no White Russians, no daquiris though I do like Oreos and a chocolate cake now and then.
Can you recommend a tobacco to get me back into the game?
I need 2 options:
1) from the world's best tobacconist

2) from a tobacconist who has a VERY limited inventory (for now ;))
Thanks in advance!

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I have found that the blends with the most flavor are strong in nicotine. Maybe it is just what I am drawn to.
Tangy try Hal o the wynd.
Woodsy try solani aged burley flake.
Leathery try quiet nights.
Or not. They all pack a decent wollup.

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
You may want to give the McClelland Royal Cajun series a try. The tobaccos are primarily Virginia or Virginia/Dark Fried Kentucky. The strength is mild to medium and it has a pleasant semi-sweet/smokey flavor with just a little bit of spice thrown in to balance it out. There are three different tobaccos in the series and they are not outrageously expensive.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
McClellands bulk, you might try 5100 Va Red Cake. Highly recommended by Forums members, McClelland tinned Dark Star, though I can't recommend because I'm still aging a tin, per members' suggestions.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
If you like tangy and citrus, I would suggest trying a straight Virginia. Freibourg and Treyer's Cut Virginia Plug comes to mind. However, keep in mind that Virginia tobaccos tend to burn a little hotter as they have a slight natural sweetness, so they require good preparation and smoking technique to truly enjoy.
Since you also like stout beer, the heavier flavors of an English blend (with latakia) would be good to try as well. Maybe Frog Morton Cellar would be a good place to start.
As far a nicotine content, I tend to just smoke what tastes good to me, and to smoke smaller bowls if it happens to be high in nicotine. The world's best tobacconist? That is a contentious criteria. Esoterica makes some of the most in demand and hardest to get blends. If you want something from them I suggest getting Tilbury and Margate, as the most popular- Penzance and Stonehaven are going to be near impossible to find, and are probably best for a more seasoned pipe palate anyway.

beerzombie

Lurker
Mar 1, 2015
Thanks for the advice!
The world's best tobacconist? That is a contentious criteria. Esoterica makes some of the most in demand and hardest to get blends.
Sorry. What I meant was: what would you get if your tobacco store was super top notch and probably had a lot of high-end choices vs. what you might find more commonly (like from a hole-in-the-wall that has a modest selection and is just starting to grow its program).
As a new pipe smoker, I agree that the subtleties of the really good stuff will be lost on me for now. :)

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
To my palate, English blends are the stouts and porters of the pipe tobacco world, and VaPers the India Pale Ales. My tastes are either exactly like everyone else's, nothing like anyone else's, or somewhere in betweeen, but as a beer-drinking pipe smoker, that's how I read it. Try any Dunhill English (there are several), and maybe start out with a milder VaPer, like Peterson's Irish Oak. The more perique, the more tangy (hoppy?). Oh, and after that, try every other pipe tobacco in the world, just in case. That's my goal.

misha66

Lurker
Mar 10, 2015
My only recommendation is don't drink and Imperial IPA right after a bowl. They don't seem to go well together. I too am a craft beer geek. I find that dark beers seem to go better with pipe smoking myself. As far as tobacco blends, I'm still getting my feet wet.

misha66

Lurker
Mar 10, 2015
My only recommendation is don't drink any Imperial IPA right after a bowl. They don't seem to go well together. I too am a craft beer geek. I find that dark beers seem to go better with pipe smoking myself. As far as tobacco blends, I'm still getting my feet wet.

beerzombie

Lurker
Mar 1, 2015
I wonder how a rauchbier would pair? I haven't developed a taste for the smokey beers but it would be interesting to see if they two would be any good together.
Thanks for the suggestions!

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
what you might find more commonly (like from a hole-in-the-wall that has a modest selection and is just starting to grow its program
In my experience, places like this typically have nothing or almost nothing that I would buy at this point. My local 'tobacconist' only has basic bulk blends, no tins, and most are syrupy aromatics. The only way I can get good pipe tobacco is to shop online.

Status
Not open for further replies.