PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

geo3rge

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2013
As a Britisher, I try and buy home-made pipes as much as I can afford. Two makers in the last year have stood out for me - Chris Askwith (Askwith Pipes) based way down South in Plymouth and Ian Walker of Northern Briars, based in Cheshire. Both these gentlemen create very fine pipes indeed and I have three by each of them. Each pipe is sturdy, well built and smokes perfectly. There is a wonderful attention to detail and finish. I can heartily recommend these makers and their websites show a wide range of shapes, prices and finishes. Also, Blakemar Briars and Invicta pipes are very good manufacturers. These are simpler designs perhaps than the aforementioned, but good, no nonsense pipes that carry a good provenance and reputation and, again, smoke perfectly. Their prices are very well within reach too. It is good to be able to support these industries and buy locally made pipes that will provide years of pleasure and service. As I write I'm smoking an Askwith bulldog, small, but perfectly made and it delivers a great smoke. Another manufacturer I'd like to mention is Alan Chestnutt of Reborn Briars. He buys up estate pipes, cleans, restores and sanitises them and sells them at very affordable prices. Again, I have now four from him and it is great to have some pipes that have been around for a while and show a bit of history. Based in Northern Ireland, he delivers first-rate service and he is very firmly on my list for further purchases. Recommended again. I'm pleased to support these British makers; I would like to see their efforts and skills applauded and so commend them to your browsing here!

Steve

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
I agree with all you say. I have two Askwith Morta pipes that are superlative. One is a straight bulldog with a Celtic silver band which was commissioned to my design.
I have bought at least 30 renovated briars from Alan's web-shop and have never been disappointed. I also use Alan's skills to restore any pipes I buy from eBay. In fact I would never bid on a pipe without knowing Alan was there to restore it. Some of the restorations he has done for me are featured on his website blog. Alan has a very wide and deep knowledge of British and Irish pipes and I often seek his advice before bidding.

yorkshirepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
Rather embarrassingly I haven't had one of Chris' pipes, yet! I met him recently at the British Pipe Smoking Show/Competition and has some beautiful pipes on display - I will certainly get one at some point, just at the moment with monetary limitations I'm focusing more on my tobacco cellar!
Alan at reborn briar again has some great pipes, he was also at the show and I bought a Stanwell from him (first I've had from him) and it's a beauty! Some very good makers indeed - yet to pop my Blakemar, Invicta and Northern briar cherries but I certainly will when I can!

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
Thanks for the write up.
I would also mention and look into Larrysson pipes.
They are made by an expat American named Paul Hubbart. He moved to England and started making pipes. I think he lives and works in Cornwall.
Many of his pipes are not traditional shapes but he does do some traditional shapes as well. I don't personally own one of his pipes but I have heard very good things, and he is on my list.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
If you want a Larryson you may want to hurry. I think I read that he had either some kind of accident or carpal tunnel flare up, and may be ending his pipe making career.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I am a big fan of many British pipes (Ashton, Ferndown, Askwith, etc). I can't pick a single favorite but I sure can say kudo's to the British pipe and tobacco makers who have contributed significantly to our great hobby for over a century.
Pipestud

geo3rge

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2013
Chris Askwith has recently added a second dimension to his pipe range, called Askwith Pioes (as opposed to his handmade ones). These are just as well made, but cheaper in price and, for me, more affordable. I have two of them at the moment and they smoke great.

Larrysson pipes is, yes indeed, another pipe maker based in the UK. I have a lovely Anse by him. You are correct in thinking he has sustained aninjury to his hand which curtailed much of his pipe production, and I understand that he is now working for a local company that engineers rifles and/or guns. I'm not sure how his pipe business is affected by all this, but I think he still makes them, albeit in a more limited amount.

I've not tried an Ashton pipe and wouldn't know where to get one, to be honest, but they must be around! They sound very good indeed, if that isn't an understatement!

I too was at the UK Pipe Show - a wonderful event - and saw Chris and Ian Walker there and it was a real privilege to meet them personally after buying their pipes online. I hope, together with Alan Chestnutt, to be able to continue patronage for a good while to come.

Steve

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The grand old names of British pipes have been mentioned in part. I'd put in a plug for the working mans' pipes

at lower prices too. Britannia, Parker by Dunhill, Hardcastle and others offer some fine smoking, even for those

who have cultivated their appreciation at higher price levels. I have occasionally found basket pipes that are stamped

"Made In London" that have turned out to be superlative smokers, and pretty pipes too. I wouldn't buy a pipe just

because it claims to be made in London, but if the pipes looks good otherwise, chances are it is. I always look in the

pipe shop basket to see if the Brits have sent anything good my way.

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
I'm a big fan of Chris Askwith's work, I have two from him my first was a commission for a chubby Rhodesian and the other was his first Devil Anse pipe. He's great to work with on commissions lots of communication. The craftsmanship is second to none.

Status
Not open for further replies.