PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjeffie

Lurker
Mar 28, 2015
my first post!
I used to smoke pipes along with cigarettes and cigars until i had a rather eye opening heart attack in 2005. so all my pipes have been sitting in a shed out back and show the need for complete refurbishing. Now that i haven't inhaled any smoke in 10 years i find that i can enjoy a cigar and a pipe without inhaling.

I have about 40 pipes and plan on getting into restoring estate pipes as my knowledge and experience increase. It seems that a good buffing set up would be a good idea.

Your recommendations will be appreciated.

thanks

rjeffie

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I would recommend a variable speed, 1 HP, 10 inch setup. For your buffing wheels, Pimo has a great selection along with all the abrasives and waxes you will need.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
If you can find one-or two-- 110Volt,1725 rpm motors and a couple of arbors will make a good cheap buffer. Jestco buffing supply has nice arbors plus wheels and compounds. I use two, a 1/6th HP and a 1/4 HP.Both have plenty of power for buffing,drilling and sanding. I have several different arbors so that I can attach either a sanding disk,small Jacobs drill chuck or my buffing wheels.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I bought this but haven't even opened it yet. It's a bit of over kill but the 1/2 horse model is only one speed at 3450 rpm and now I don't need a VFD.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eastwood-1-HP-Buffing-Motor-and-10-Buff-Wheels-and-Compound-Kit-/231507521399?hash=item35e6ec6f77&item=231507521399&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
As ejames pointed out, try to get a motor with a lower RPM (1725 - 1800). Most motors for buffing are in the 3000+ RPM range which is too fast for buffing briar, and especially so when applying carnauba wax.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Mine runs at 1750RPM and I have no problems with the wheel "catching" the pipes...slower speed you have better control.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Two-speed (1800/3600 ) Baldor. Low speed for most jobs, high speed for fine tune up work AFTER you get the "hang of it". DO NOT buy a $50 bench grinder and convert it to a buffer, you'll do more damage than it's worth.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Amen to that! Take it SLOW until you get the hang of it and until you know full well how to apply the pipe/stem to the buffing wheel (as in PROPER angles). I used to make custom handmade knives and the most dangerous job was buffing! I once had a knife catch on the wheel and the point slammed through the outer tip of my shoe and left a 1/4" chunk in the cement floor! Even to this day when working with pipes I still use a face guard. Old habits and past experiences are hard to die and well learned. :wink:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Go over to your local electric motor repair shop and see if they have a rebuilt furnace motor (usually 1/2-3/4 hp @ 1725 RPM). Wire in a switch and get the Jestco arbor ejames mentioned. Out the door for around $75. But, that $300 dual arbor unit from Eastwood is sweet!

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I got it set up today and it is sweet, especially the 10" wheels. The price was $270 and free shipping for both a 70 pound box for the motor, and a second 9 pound box for the buff kit. I know it is overkill but it's a done deal and I'm happy.

literaryworkshop

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2014
Mobile, AL
When it comes to RPMs, remember that the actual speed of the surface of the buffing wheel changes with the diameter of the wheel, so a 10" wheel running at 1725 RPMs is running a LOT faster than a 6" wheel running at 1725 RPMs. Something to consider if you end up building your own.
Eye protection is a good idea while buffing. It will also help to mount the buffer on a proper stand rather than on a bench top, so you can get the pipe around the lower part of the wheel.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I bought a Foredom Bench Lathe, it's pretty small--easy to store, and the RPM's are continuously variable, slower for Tripoli, a bit faster for carnuba. Plus my wife can use it for her jewelry hobby. Finally Foredom has a large assortment of other attachments.

rjeffie

Lurker
Mar 28, 2015
Got a motor out of a HVAC system. Turns 1075 rpms. Thinking of getting the 8" Beall system for it and the Beall 4" kit for the 3475 rpm unit I bought. Comments?

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
1075 is slow for it, but I've never buffed at that speed so I can't say what your results will be. I know some guys will use the speed for a final buff to smooth the Carnauba, but they're not applying compound or wax at the speed.

I HAVE buffed at 3450, and it is a fantastic way to shoot a pipe through your wall in 2 or 3 different pieces.

Once my 1700 rpm motor stopped working when all I needed to do was finish buffing a pipe I'd just made.. I've had a couple catches over the years, and picked a pipe up off the floor with a ding in it. But at 3475, one tiny mistake and the pipe was done for... I still have both pieces of that pipe to prove it !

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
I own a Shopsmith and use it for many uses but for buffing pipes it's very nice as I can adjust the rpm's to any speed I want.
A good Shopsmith is a great machine with lots of bells and whistles and they are quality machines. A few pipe carvers use them to make pipes, ( Brian Rutherberg and him using his Shopsmith) http://www.briarart.com/aboutme.htm

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
When it comes to RPMs, remember that the actual speed of the surface of the buffing wheel changes with the diameter of the wheel, so a 10" wheel running at 1725 RPMs is running a LOT faster than a 6" wheel running at 1725 RPMs. Something to consider if you end up building your own.
This is expressed as Surface Feet per Minute (SFM). The formula is actually a pretty simple equation.
SFM = Diameter (in.) x 0.2618 x RPM
So, if your motor has a constant RPM of 1725 (as is most often recommended) and you are using, for example, a 8 in. wheel then you will have a lineal SFM of 3613. A 6 in. wheel will yield 2710 SFM and a 10 in. is 4516 SFM. So, if you don't have a variable RPM buffer you might consider keeping a few different diameter wheels around to match your needs.

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
image.jpg1_2.jpg
[/url][/img]I built this guy yesterday. A 1750 motor out of a defective RV air cond. (I work at a dealership), built a mount out of 2x6 material and wired it up to a old extension cord. Bought a 1/2 " arbor at ACE and mounted a 6" wheel to it. Works like a champ for under 25 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.