PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
Have been enjoying several tobaccos in my new Peterson Aran. Break-in hasn't been too bad.
Also have been reading on here extensively and contemplating another pipe purchase.
Opinions and recommendations requested. Have read that the bulldog pipe with its thick walled bowl offers a cooler smoke (bowl does not heat up as a thinner bowl might).
Also have been reading kudos abot Peterson System pipes. I've seen a Billiard style, with the 2 holes and metal insert, but much more, I see the bent apple style. This also sounds like it could be a next good purchase as I chase "the ultimate smoking experience."
Which, in your opinion, would be the best choice? And is there a vendor who makes the best bulldog shape?
LOL I know I'm opening up a can of worms here, but I do respect and consider all of your opinions, that have, for me, been 99% spot on... :)

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
For the last year and a half I've been a huge fan of Savinelli pipes. They're reasonably priced, are well made, smoke great, and are durable. I just ordered my 4th on yesterday.
As for the best bulldog, well that answer will vary from person to person. I've got a Peterson Sherlock Holmes Squire Bulldog and its a great pipe.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I like my bulldogs but the small bowel size always dictates how often I smoke them. Of course you can find bigger ones, but you catch my drift.
I have a Savinelli Milano bulldog that is one of my favorite pipes, small bowl and all. It just fits perfect in my hand and the stem in the most comfortable in my humble collection.
As far as system pipes, I really don't notice mine smoking any cooler or drier. Mine don't accumulate any liquid but they do get a lot more condensation in the well and also a little dirtier. It's nothing major.
I have noticed those that the calabash/bell styles of Petersons can get warmer where they "curve" and the bowl gets thinner. But it's never been a problem.
If your chasing thick walls at a factory pipe price I'd check out Joh's and Nording freehands. Maybe Neerup or Luciano nose warmers?

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Just my two cents, but I don't believe a bulldog will offer that much of a cooler smoke.
Thick walls helps, but even a billiard can have thick walls. My recommendation would be to go for the style that you like most - otherwise you won't be as likely to use it/smoke it.
I have to say that I like Petersons, even though one could persuasively argue that Savs or Stanwells are more reliable in the low-end range, I still think Petersons offer a solid pipe for the money.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
Petersons are excellent. I have some older Barlings that smoke very cool and aren't bulldogs. And I too have recently been getting into Savinelli pipes. They're priced right, and they deliver an exceptional smoke. I just got a new 677. Bulldogs are neat, I like the style of them. They don't always offer a cooler experience though. Buy something you really like.

Aug 14, 2012
Bulldogs do smoke a little cooler. The drawbacks are that they are shorter, so the smoke is shorter, and they are to some eyes, ugly. I have a bunch of Bulldogs and Rhodesians in the Peterson meerschaums, not one Bulldog in briar. As far as Peterson briars go, if you like the one you have, get another. Personally I find them hard to break in. Harsh smoking for quite a while. I believe this is from using less aged briar. Also from getting stain in the bowl and air passage. But they do produce a good pipe for the price. Two of my best late night pipes are Peterson bent pokers from the Sherlock series. One p-lip, one fishtail, otherwise almost identical. Filled with a good rich Lat blend they are perfect after midnight.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't find my non-bulldog pipes have much problem smoking hot. I like my bulldogs and Rhodesian just for

their traditional shapes. You can get big bowls; one example is Johs (Mogen Johansen, the Danish carver), but

he also does smaller bowls in these, so know what you are getting. Peterson pipes smoke well; I think the

System pipes cost a little more, and the expense probably doesn't bring much benefit. I'd buy one if the pipe

appealed to me at that price. The P-Lip bit is a specialty item. I have one, enjoy it on that pipe, but wouldn't

order another. It's good for one pipe, as a distinctive characteristic, but I'm careful about looking only at fishtails

for the future. Among Peterson pipes, I recommend the B11 shape, which is a bent brandy; some have even

called it a volcano, though it is not a big conical bowl. In my opinion, Petersons have taken a big step up in price.

You're pretty much into the mid-level and above. No big buys in the brand these days.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I enjoy the bulldog shape -- and the related Rhodesian -- but I've never encountered one that smoked any cooler than any other pipe. In fact, because the outside of the bowl tapers so much at the bottom, you're likely to find the bottom of the bowl getting noticeably warmer than a pipe whose bowl is even from top to bottom.
A Rhodesian might be a better shape bet for you. They are similar to bulldogs but rounder overall, with more wood on the bottom of the bowl than a standard bulldog. My favorite, though, is an estate Charatan, which may be outside the price range you were considering.
Bob

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I would say the coolest smoke you will ever find is from a block carved meerschaum pipe and I have seen some estate meers advertised as system pipes. I currently have two bulldogs that I smoke and they are nothing extraordinary; a WDC 1/8 bent and a straight yello-bole checker.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Or if you want to stick with a pete:
Meerschaum-Baskerville-B.jpg

This one is in there Sherlock Holmes collection; it's called the Baskerville... Lots of Bulldogs in that collection and meers to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.