PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

backwoodsjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2015
Central Minnesota
Hello,
I am looking to try new mixtures with out latakia.
I love latakia, but would like to branch out into more burley or oriental mixes.
What blends do you recommend without latakia but still have a huge flavor punch?
I am really enjoying H&H blackhouse right now, is there anything without latakia that has big flavor?
Thanks,

Joe

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I just fired up some Gawith & Hoggarth Brown Irish Twist X that just arrived in todays mail. Not very complex but very bold. It's certainly not short pure tobacco flavor.

Mar 1, 2014
Do check out the McClelland Grand Orientals series. Some of them have Latakia but it's basically a breakdown of all the popular types of leaf from that area of the world.

backwoodsjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2015
Central Minnesota
Thanks guys,
DF Kentucky I will definitely give it a go.
Probably ODF, HH BK, and orlik DSK to start.
Sounds like you smoke the HH BK a little slower than usual.

jaydublin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2015
Also check out G. L. Pease Cumberland. Kentucky, Perique and Virginias. Definitely not a dull smoke.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
If you're looking for burley, C&D is right where you want to be. Five O'Clock Shadow for a nice Va/Per and DFK crumble cake. Big N Burley is stout as well, it has lat in it but it's so far in the background you barely notice it's there. Many like Pegasus as well.
Pease's Triple Play is awesome, and I hear good things about Jackknife Plug too.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
derfargin +1; Big N Burley is a pleasant surprise. Full strength, but to me, without bite. Also, Triple Play, a real treat.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I forgot about 1792, that's a great one. Mind you it has a tonquin topping so just FYI. I don't smoke 1792 often, but when I do it's usually many bowls over a short period of time.
Also don't forget The Royal Yacht.
Now keep in mind that I'm assuming you're looking for tobacco with a high nic content.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
In addition to the great suggestions above, I'll add SG FVF and Peterson's 3P's to the mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.