PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

glober

Lurker
May 20, 2018
I smoked a lot of Dunhill's Nightcap, Mixture 965, Early Morning in the past because they were readily available at my local shop. But I'm thinking of trying out some new blends from online shop for the first time, so I was wondering if anyone could help recommend some exceptionally good Virginia and Blakans? (something that's more renowned and generally considered to be the top of this category)?
Preferrably something that's at least at medium strength when it comes to nicotine strength, and something that perhaps tastes and smells great.
Balkans, I have never had the pleasure of smoking, so it's more due to my curiosity.
I'm looking to order 3-4 virginia and 2-3 balkans. Anyone have any recommendations?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
First, if you really like those Dunhill blends, stock up while you can as they will all soon be gone. That said, there's really not a big difference between English and Balkan blends except for marketing. For the sake of something new to try though, here we go.
Balkan/English

Meridian

Gaslight

Quiet Nights

Presbyterian

White Knight

Balkan Sasieni

Balkan Supreme

Plum Pudding
Now, with the demise of McClelland and their amazing Virginia blends, here's some still available.
Virginia

Salty Dogs

Full Virginia Flake

Marlin Flake

Newmister Superior Navy Flake

Luxury Twist Flake

Luxury Bullseye Flake

Escudo

Capstan Blue

Union Square

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/search?BlendType=Straight+Virginia&Rating=Highly+Recommended&ReviewCount=50

curl

Apr 29, 2014
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/search?BlendType=Balkan&Rating=Highly+Recommended&ReviewCount=50

curl

Apr 29, 2014
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/search?BlendType=Virginia%2FPerique&Rating=Highly+Recommended&ReviewCount=50

spartan99

Can't Leave
Mar 10, 2017
Virginia:

Peter Stokkebye: Luxury Navy Flake

Solani: Virginia Flake - 633

Solani: Silver Label - 660

Cornell & Diehl: Yorktown

Gawith Hoggarth & Co.: Best Brown #2
Latakia:

Lane Limited: Crown Achievement

Cornell & Diehl: Stratfordshire

Cornell & Diehl: Crooked Lane

G. L. Pease: Westminster

Rattray's: Black Mallory

cwarmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2017
I'm with Chasing Embers and his selection and I second Spartan99's recommendation of Westminster Blend. Add 10 to Midnight t and Peterson Irish Oak to the English list and Erinmore Flake to the Virginias.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
You know what I love about pipe tobacco, is no matter how many times a question is asked, about what is the best in a certain family, it really comes down to how your taste buds react. With that being said, I do enjoy most of the Virginia's mentioned here, and I often find myself cruising tobacco reviews to help with my next purchase. Opening night, union square, Marlin Flake, PS LNF...all good.
As for Balkan based blends, while not my favorite, I do find that many of them taste very similiar without smoking them back to back. I have a few in my rotation, but nothing like that Virginia.

franklyn22

Lurker
Aug 10, 2017
For a pure Virginia, GLP Union Square is my new favorite of currently available yet easily obtainable (in stock) tobaccos.

9mmpuffer

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2018
Balkan: Black House

VA: Full Virginia Flake, Marlin Flake, if you can get some, try some McCranie's Red Ribbon or McCl Aurora

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Caveat: I lack the wisdom borne from decades of pipe smoking that others here have. I'm a relative neophyte.
That out of the way I've been enjoying some of the tobacco on offer here in Germany. Notable are HU Tobacco and Dan Tobacco. Hamborger Veermaster from Dan Tobacco is a nice Virginia and for Balkan my initial impression of Old Ironsides is good. HU's Director's Cut is a nice blend that is heavy on Virginia.
They are doing some strong work with some blends here on continental Europe. A little funny to buy from Dan Pipes "American History" line of Tobacco with the US Revolution History themes.

Status
Not open for further replies.