Recommendations for cigar smoker

(37 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by cauffrey
  • Latest reply from tomgreen
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

cauffrey

Login to Send PM

Hello to all-

Just bought my first couple corn cobs & looking for a suggestion on tobacco. I am a cigar smoker, mostly Dominican & Nicaraguan leaf / brands. Read somewhere that the mild aromatics would not be so good for me. True? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers-

Chris

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

cauffrey

Login to Send PM

Oops, sorry for double post. Poor first impression........

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

First off two major points, one- everyone's taste buds are different and two- there is no pipe tobacco that is similar to cigars.

Having said that I will note that from what I've seen in the pipe world it seems that more often people who come to pipes from cigars tend to get more into the English/Balkan blends.

My advice to anyone though is give every style of blending a try. Pick up a straight Virginia, an English, a Balkan, an Aromatic, a Burley, and a Virginia Perique. Don't give up on the pipe before trying each style. You can find sample packs at the various online vendors who are sponsors here.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 5 years ago #
  4. gray4lines

Gray

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey,

I am a cigar smoker too! You just may enjoy aromatics... pipe tobacco's are pretty different than cigars. I enjoy mostly virginia's (Virginia flakes, Va's and perique...) and they are generally regarded as being mild(er) and sweet.

What are some brands of cigars that you like?

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. northernneil

northernneil

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Being that cigars tend to be natural tobacco, no additives, you might be right by assuming that you won't like aro's because those are usually loaded with varying additives. English style tobaccos would be a great place to start. One specific recommendation I would make is the MacBaren HH Acadian Perique. To my tastes, very similar to a cigar in that the natural tobacco flavor is the highlight of the blend.

Welcome and enjoy the ride!

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. johnnyiii

johnnyiii

Login to Send PM

Yea, but as a cigarette smoker I absolutely love the change to something like an aro. Like the amaretto amore tasting so creamy and coffee like, or simply nuts smelling soooo good in the bag. And your room or house actually not smelling like a88. The first time I puffed on something that tasted like chocolate, I said yummm for half an hour. Cant get that from a cigarette or cigar.

Others would say this is wrong though, but I say toss the cobb and atleast get a dr grabow from the drug store to try. They are cheep there, and to me at least give you a better tasting smoke no matter what tobacco you try. When I had only two pipes and they got wore out from over smoking, I tried a cobb as a tide me over. I bought it, packed and smoked it on the way home, and it is now as far as I could chuck it from my front door to my woods. Tasted like cob with ever puff, and not a true representation of pipe smoking in my opinion. Many though here will disagree.

I humbly reserve the right to post an intuitive thought here ... When ONE comes to mind.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

cauffrey

Login to Send PM

Thanks, great advice. I will have one pipe dedicated to just smoking cigar tobacco, though. I roll my own and have lots of scrap.

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. onepyrotec

onepyrotec

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have been rolling and smoking cigars for years and smoking a pipe for almost as long. If you want a pipe, why would you want it to be like a cigar? You will be pretty limited in tobaccos to pick from. A pipe is a pipe, enjoy it for what it is. Putting cigar clippings in a pipe, you will be truly disappointed IMHO.

At Johnny...yes you can get some of those flavors out of cigars.

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would say go straight for the Newminsters Superior Round Slices. You can thank me later. My fav cigar is Alec Bradley's Black Market.

Also when I get the urge to smoke a cigar I always try to keep a corn cob with me because the small bowl size fits most of my cigars perfectly. So when the cigar is down to the butt I shove it in the pipe and enjoy the rest of the smoke. Once you put it in a pipe it lasts much longer. I got 45 minutes or so out of the butt of my cigar after I've already been smoking the thing for 40 minutes.

I'm not crazy I swear. Been enjoying the pipe hobby for about two and a half years now. I think everyone who smokes cigars should try shoving the butt into a corn cob and continue smoking it at least once.
    If you're too embarrassed then you will have to wait until you can enjoy it amongst true friends who you can be a bit wacky with.

Happy smoking and welcome to the forums. This is truly a great place, if you dont mind the crazies.

"I was born to lose. So I'll die to win." -Breaking Benjamin
    Posted 5 years ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

dd50

Login to Send PM

I have been a cigar smoker for nearly 20 years and still love my full-flavored maduro wrapped Nicaraguan blends, and I almost exclusively smoke aromatic pipe tobacco. I can't stand latakia, so all those "stronger" blends are out for me. It has been recommended by other cigar smokers on the forum to try a VA/Perique blend like Escudo, which has been described as having a spicier taste, but I have yet to try any of these blends because I love my aros so much, haha.

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. redbeard

redbeard

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You may like to try a blend that has cigar leaf as one of its ingredients... If I'm not mistaken there are a few Mc Clellland blends that have just that.

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. tanless1

tanless1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I also smoke cigars,and really enjoy GLP key largo. I'm still searching for that blend that most closely resembles a padron....but no luck yet.

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

cauffrey

Login to Send PM

I'm not looking for a pipe blend to replicate a cigar, just pointing out that I will pipe smoke the scraps of my cigars.

I believe I will get a wide range of samples as recommended & go from there. Appears pipe tobacco, like wine, is a personal taste thing. Wish I could remember what my Dad smoked long ago, it smelled so wonderful.

Just picked up some Lane 1Q & RLP-6 from my local store. Let's see where this takes me.

Cheers!

Chris

Posted 5 years ago #
  14. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

First thing first ... welcome to the fray!

OK, secondly, do NOT dismiss the cobs. A good Washington or Country Gentleman from MM will treat you right.
    Does the first or second bowl full have a slight "cob" flavor ... maybe. I actually enjoy breaking a new one in but, then again, I was raised surrounded by corn fields.

As for the tobacco, what has been said already is true. Your not going to get a cigar experience from a pipe. That's why many of us still maintain a small humidor (tupper-dore in my case). I just nubbed a Sancho Panza yesterday while working on a freehand pipe.

The 1Q and RLP-6 are a good start and both aromatics. I highly recommend picking up a pouch of Carter Hall or Prince Albert and getting to know the pipe first. Learn how to pack it properly, how to sip instead of puff, how to lightly tamp at the right times and keep that bowl going for up to an hour. CH and PA are both Burley blends and have a nice nutty / cereal type of flavor without so much sweetness.

Good Luck!

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. trucha

trucha

Login to Send PM

I would second what LOTPR said above. Try one of each genre and see what you like. That being said, I have tried a few cigar blends. Mostnofnthhem seem to contain Latakia which You may or may not like. If you want one without much Latakia I would recommend H&H stogie. It is by far my favorite blend containing cigar leaf. And is the only one I've tried that I would purchase again. Also if you do smoke cigar blends you REALLY have to sip slowly because any hard puffing will sour it immediately. I've smoked all mine in a cob.

Posted 5 years ago #
  16. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You might want to try sampler packs. 4noggins.com has good sampler packs that offer 1 ounce
    portions of each tobacco, so you don't end up with quantities of tobacco you don't like.
    As an aside, I used to smoke cigars and thought the Dominicans were the best, better than the
    Cubans I was able to try outside the U.S. I'm not sure I'd recommend your trying tobaccos with
    cigar leaf, in making the transition from cigars to pipe. However, the most interesting blend I've
    seen that includes cigar leaf is the Indonesian tobacco Tambolaka which I've only seen offered
    at 4noggins, that features cigar leaf; it's really strong (I think) so might not be a great choice for
    a new pipe smoker. Maybe later for that.

Posted 5 years ago #
  17. branzig

branzig

Login to Send PM

I am fairly new and haven't tried a ton of blends yet, but as a cigar smoker I have found that nothing comes close yet to Sam Gawith Full Virgina Flake to that pure tobacco flavor, and if you are a fan of sweet med-full body cigars (thinking CAO, Cru-Royale, etc) then you will love this flake.

Leaves that wonderful, unadulterated tobacco taste in your mouth and has some real sugar to boot.

Posted 5 years ago #
  18. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Key Largo! It's excellent.

http://www.glpease.com/Tobacco/Heirloom/index.html

"I said NO camels, that's FIVE camels...can't you count?!"
    AJHvibes.com
    Posted 5 years ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

andmer

Login to Send PM

Definitely agree with the Key Largo posters. Its fantastic. I'm a cigar smoker too trying to get my bearings in pipe world and its a fantastic smoke.

Posted 5 years ago #
  20. chops

chops

Login to Send PM

Spartan, I will have to try that cigar-in-the-cob thing. I have always been disappointed at the end of my cigar smoking that I have to throw away all that tobacco.

Posted 5 years ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

redstar

Login to Send PM

I was a cigar smoker and looked for a similar experience when I started smoking a pipe. Funnily enough I very quickly settled on pipe blends that were nowhere near the cigar experience.

Nowadays I smoke a nice Havana when I fancy a good cigar. In my pipe I prefer virginia and English blends!

Posted 5 years ago #
  22. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you like English Blends and also like cigars you should really try the new AJ Fernandez Spectre.

Posted 5 years ago #
  23. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

C&D's Milk and Honey, smoking it right now. I can see cigar smokers liking it, as I smoke cigars as well.

Posted 5 years ago #
  24. 4nogginsmike

4nogginsmike

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've never smoked Key Largo, but I think it would complement the flavor of the cigars to which you're accustomed very well.

But what about taking an entirely different tack? Pipe tobacco is more variable than cigar tobacco. VA, VA Perique, burley, oriental, latakia and all the mixtures of these main categories. If I had started with cigars, not pipes, coming to the wide taste differences that pipe tobacco affords, I can see myself being in a wonderland of taste. Why not smoke something that is completely different than cigars, which I would say is straight VA. You might love it!

Posted 5 years ago #
  25. sean81

sean81

Login to Send PM

I'm a former cigar smoker (although I still light a stick now and again). When I was smoking cigars, I enjoyed the more full bodied smokes. However, as a pipe smoker, I have found that I like the aromatics more than the english blends. My point is this. Try several. Ask people to suggest different blends (both aro and non-aro blends) then try those out. Most of the tobacco that I smoke regularly was suggested by either a friend or through this forum. Pipe Tobacco is fairly cheap, typically less than $3/oz when bought in bulk, or $6-$10 for 1.5+ oz tins (see Sutliff Privite Stock, their 1.5 oz tins are about $6 and are really good blends). Some tins can cost more, but by the time you are buying those, you'll probably have a pretty good idea what your particular tastes are and what you want to smoke.

Good Luck!

A universe with a God would look quite different from a universe without one. A physics, a biology where there is a God is bound to look different. So the most basic claims of religion are scientific. Religion is a scientific theory.

We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  26. fadingdaylight

fadingdaylight

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Im gonna go with the herd on this one and say that you definitely want to try some various blends to just see what you like. When I started off I bought a handful of aromatics, then I went back and bought about an ounce each of a few other, English and Va's mostly. In the end, I mostly smoke aro's, as my wife seems to be more tolerable of the smell.

- Jason
    "Lost in thought and lost in time... While the seeds of life and the seeds of change were planted... Outside the rain fell dark and slow... While I pondered on this dangerous but irresistible pastime..."
    Posted 5 years ago #
  27. deuce26

deuce26

Login to Send PM

I'm a new pipe smoker coming from cigars. I started with two (I believe) VA/PER's Escudo and Orlick Golden Slices. I also tried C&D Bayou Night (English Blend) and Frog Morton On the Town (another English blend). The VA/Per's I am really kind of struggling with. My problem right now is I can't pack the damn pipe correctly and I keep smoking too fast. I think I am expecting smoke volume like a cigar, which you just don't get. I'm having a lot of trouble learning to just sip slowly. Because of that, although the taste of the VA/PER's isn't bad to me, they bite/burn my tongue and mouth.

The english blends although I have to relight ever 30 seconds are much better tasting to me. The Frog Morton On the Town is really good. Creamy and med-full. I really want to try some aero's but I would like to learn to smoke a little better before I do.

I initially bought to cobs, a General and a Country Gentlemen. The General definitely had a cob taste at first and its so big I struggle with it. The Country Gentlemen didn't have that cob taste and really smokes great. I then bought a cheap briar and my first smoke with it was horrible. Couldn't keep it lit, it got real moist at the bottom of the bowl. So, back to the country gent for now.

Work in progress.

Posted 5 years ago #
  28. bluesmk

bluesmk

Login to Send PM

I'm predominately a pipe smoker but I smoke cigars through the week as well Punch,Diesel,Joya de Nicaragua,Hoyo,Nica Libre....the only pipe tobacco I've use that can measure up to that taste and body is Peterson's Irish Flake
    Dan
    Gabrieli Pipes

Posted 5 years ago #
  29. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My problem right now is I can't pack the damn pipe correctly and I keep smoking too fast. I think I am expecting smoke volume like a cigar, which you just don't get. I'm having a lot of trouble learning to just sip slowly. Because of that, although the taste of the VA/PER's isn't bad to me, they bite/burn my tongue and mouth.

The english blends although I have to relight ever 30 seconds are much better tasting to me. The Frog Morton On the Town is really good. Creamy and med-full. I really want to try some aero's but I would like to learn to smoke a little better before I do.

You're probably smoking the tobacco too moist, you do get huge plumes of smoke from a pipe, I find I get more smoke from a pipe than a cigar usually. VaPer's and Va's are more for experienced pipe smokers, I suggest you stick with english blends for the meantime. It takes awhile to get it down pat, usually a good 6 months, and then it's like riding a bike. Pack on the lighter side and tamp down, a good rule is fill the pipe loosely, pat it down to a 3rd, fill it again, pack it down to half, fill the last 3rd and slightly tamp it again. You should be able to pull air through the packed bowl as if you were sipping a straw.

Posted 5 years ago #
  30. deuce26

deuce26

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the advice!!!! This site is awesome

Posted 5 years ago #
  31. User has not uploaded an avatar

cauffrey

Login to Send PM

Well, here are my initial impressions-I seem to like everything I try. Have tried 1Q, RLP-6, BCA, Burley w/o Bite all from Lane, and Virginia Flake from Iwan Reis. I have a British Medium from Reis yet to try, as well as a cherry blend. I do like the pure tobacco taste of the Virginia & Burley. Someone suggested mixing the Burley with BCA, sounds good to me as well.

I have come to realize that smoking an aromatic is much like planting a tree-you do it for others as much as for yourself.

Cheers!

Chris

Posted 5 years ago #
  32. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Basically the tobacco shouldn't be crispy, when you pinch it it should be kind of spongy almost, plus blends like frog morton and anything by McClelland's requires a good amount of drying time, like I'll pop a tin and open it up every day for a week and put the top back on to let it breathe, or you can just take out a bowls worth and let it dry for aboutr 30 minutes usually does the trick. Just keep at it, alot of people I know are on the verge of giving up and suddenly it's like eureka!! I've got it!

Posted 5 years ago #
  33. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Been smoking cigars for over 20yrs...still enjoy a good cigar now & then, but pipe bacci offers SO much more....enjoy the ride brother, welcome

Some Suggestions you might enjoy...this list should keep you busy
    Solani's Aged Burley Flake, 660 and 633
    MB's Old Dark Fired
    C&D's Billy Budd
    C&D's Crooked Lane
    C&D's Bow-Legged Bear
    GL Pease's JackKnife Plug
    Dunhill's London Mix, Nightcap and Flake
    MC's Black Shag
    MC's 3 Oaks Syrian
    MC's Tudor Castle
    MC"s Frogs
    L.J. Peretti's Omega and Royal

Posted 5 years ago #
  34. User has not uploaded an avatar

cauffrey

Login to Send PM

Thanks for all the advice I'm smoking the bulks for now and very happy. I don't smoke all that much so it is a real treat when I do. Looking forward to some better weather & a chance to get outside with my pipe.

Cheers-

Chris

Posted 5 years ago #
  35. sallow

sallow

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I also smoke cigars,and really enjoy GLP key largo.

I also really like this blend. Every once in a while the hint of cigar sneaks up on you.

I also tend to go for the stronger blends like Haddo's Delight and Peterson's University Flake. I like short, fat cigars, just like me.

Posted 5 years ago #
  36. User has not uploaded an avatar

sabuj12

Login to Send PM

You just may enjoy aromatics... pipe tobacco. its different from cigar .i like personally Virginia flakes .

Posted 5 years ago #
  37. User has not uploaded an avatar

tomgreen

Login to Send PM

Thanks! that really usefull, though I still have struggle filling the pipe

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   redone, alexnc, jiminks, instymp, 3rdguy