PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmyh

Lurker
Feb 6, 2014
Evening.
I've recently felt the need of a dress pipe but having a hard time finding one so I'm hoping for a few recommendations.

Something stylish for when out and about at night.
I have a budget of 200 usd and looking for something smaller, group 3 preferrebly
Regards,

Jimmy

May 4, 2015
I was also going to suggest Savinelli. Their Venere line and their Caramella line are both very sharp looking.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
What constitutes a 'dress' pipe? Anything other than cob?
Good question. What on earth is a 'dress pipe'?

I've been smoking a pipe off and on since the 70's, albeit lately mostly at home now, but I've never noticed anyone paying close attention to what my pipe looks like (not that anyone would know one pipe from another), much less giving a rat's ass. Years ago I happened to drop in by Iwan Ries and the only pipe I had on me was a cob. I purchased some tobacco and a few cigars and then decided to go to their smoking lounge and torched up my worn and charred cob without so much as a second thought, and I seriously doubt that anyone in the lounge noticed, much less cared.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
A dress pipe would be a straigt black pipe ment to be smoked while wearing a tuxedo. I know Dunhill and Castello offer dress pipes, using a specific brand name of course. But in essence, a straight black, smooth pipe would, in my mind, be considered a dress pipe.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
A dress pipe to me has that look that says "I belong to a gentleman." It has classic lines that goes with a tuxedo or three piece suit.

Of course that is just my opinion.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
002-386-2281.jpg

A Castello Perla Nera aka: dress pipe

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Right... the next time you're at a formal black tie event you must take the utmost care to have an accompanying and proper black tie pipe less people take notice and talk behind your back as to how improper your full attire is. Give me an f'ing break! :roll:

Reactions: smsnider.ns
May 4, 2015
Dressing conventions are silly as it is. Expecting a black pipe isn't any more ridiculous than the tuxedo itself, really.

sailortodd

Might Stick Around
Nov 2, 2011
Black, small, simple lines. A discrete silver band is permitted, but that borders on gaudiness.
I would propose a discrete white band fits the tuxedo better.
But really, is a pipe not an opportunity to add a little flair to a formal outfit? Something loud and bold suits better, a piece of art, a conversation piece, not a cookie cutter straight black billiard. My semiserious $0.02

jimmyh

Lurker
Feb 6, 2014
Thanks for the recommendations so far, I really like the Perla Nera but unfortunately it is a bit to expensive.
Why is it that silly to have a pipe for special occasions for when you dress up and want a pipe to go with the outfit?

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Why is it that silly to have a pipe for special occasions for when you dress up and want a pipe to go with the outfit?
It's not.
Here's a nice looking pipe.. Not hardcore dress but nice

2121.jpg

Reactions: smsnider.ns
Status
Not open for further replies.