PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjzerby

Lurker
Dec 10, 2014
I have tried some aromatics that I like quite a lot. The Sutliffe Chocolate Mousse being my current favorite (honestly, who can complain about that smell).
What I would like, is a good, non aromatic to try. I want something that tastes nice, smells nice, but isn't loaded with other flavors.
Where should I start?

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
If you're wanting English go Frog Morton most of those are great intro's to English,

If you're wanting VaPer - Escudo or Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture

If you're wanting Straight Virginian - Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake
Those are good places to start.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome, mjzerby. I think you will get a lot of recommendations, so I'll just offer one or two. Because you're a new

member, you say you are a new pipe smoker, I'm going to go with mild blends. Two mild non-aromatics that I'd

recommend are Mac Baren's Modern Virginia, in a tin,and the bulk blend Altadis Fox and Hound. Both these are

flavorful, mild non-aromatics, a Virginia and an English.
Also, I recommend that you spend some time perusing the tobacco pages at the online retailers listed among our

Forums sponsors, on the left side of the window, in red (these are linked, of course). Not so much for shopping as

for education, so you get a feel for the different brands, constituent tobaccos, blends, etc. etc. If you are a new pipe

smoker, I'd stick with the milder blends at first. Buy in small quantities (one or two ounces) so you don't end up with

quantities of leaf you don't like. Even if you do like it, wait to sample more before you buy anything in four ounces or

more, would be my suggestion.

mjzerby

Lurker
Dec 10, 2014
I will certainly take a look at what's been suggested. Thanks!
Not long after posting this I discovered the cigar and pipe store in town. I found a couple tobaccos that seem to be what i'm looking for. I can't wait to try them out! It was great to be able to smell a bunch of different types. I feel like that will give me a start in my search.
There's a lot of tobaccos out there. I feel like i'll need all the help I can get.

Mar 1, 2014
Eh, Frog Morton is good but it's still an aromatic (just the best English Aromatic out there).
A good non-aromatic to try would be Escudo or Samuel Gawith St. James Flake.
Almost any good Virginia is going to taste about the same as all the others, it's just what happens after you let the leaf ferment a bit.

mjzerby

Lurker
Dec 10, 2014
One blend is called "viking Fleet", the other is "Irish Cream". They may be aromatics. I guess the Irish Cream is. Don'the know about Viking Fleet. All I know is they smelled amazing!

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
@mjzerby
Don't buy into this whole thing that you start with aromatics and then graduate to English blends or straight Virginias. Each individual smoker has his own tastes and expectations when it comes to pipe smoking. Fortunately there is an endless array of blends on the market, and this makes the whole pipe smoking journey all the more interesting. Try out a wide range of blend types, but do it over a period of time. For now stick with a decent quality, such as any Dunhill blend and take some time to learn how to smoke that blend. If you are nicotine sensitive avoid the stronger blends. If you are looking to try a mild, non aromatic, I highly recommend Early Morning Pipe by Dunhill, but as I mentioned any Dunhill blend will be a high quality product.
Many have recommended the Frog Morton line and I couldn't agree more. Although they are slghtly sweetened, as are most pipe tobacco blends, they are well made and have a strong following; I for one love Frog Morton On The Bayou, but I'm sure all are tasty.
There are a good many high quality aromatics on the market(ie Mac Baren)but they do require some experience to really get the most out of them.
The recommendations for the so-called Coger blends as recommended by captpat and highlander is also a good route.
Which ever route you choose, just remember to take your time and get to know the blend before making up your mind whether you like it or not. There is a lot involved in getting the most out of a blend: proper moisture, pipe selection, loading skills, smoking cadence, tamping etc.
Happy sipping!

Status
Not open for further replies.