PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
I know, there is a world of cigars out there, but I just want a recommendation for one good one to try on my next pipe tobacco order. I am currently eyeing Arturo Fuente Hemingway Maduro.

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
Arturo is very good brand. A few others are Pardon, La Glorial, and Onyx if you like maduro. However my favorite and the one that is always in my humidor is Dolice Vita. It has this awesome coffee infused flavor and mind you I am not one to like flavored cigars like Acid cigars but this one is just so smooth and the coffee flavor is so light that it is just an after thought so it does not take away from the actual tobacco flavor. One thing I have noticed over the years with cigars is that price and name brand does not mean it is actually a good cigar. The cigar world (the communities that drive the pricing) is all about flash and show. So if a cigar gets deemed worthy the price will go up and every body will buy and rave about it just to show off what they are smoking. That being said don't over look the brands some times you'll find an awesome cigar at a fraction of the price. A lot of times your paying for the band and not the actual cigar.

Aug 1, 2012
Rocky Patel Vintage 1992. That has to be my favorite readily available and affordable cigar. The Churchill or toro are my personal favorites but the robusto is quite nice as well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most Dominicans will give you a fine smoke. I like them better than the Cubans I've smoked.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
Thanks guys. I would also be interested to hear the cheapest way to keep a half dozen cigars humidified over say 6-12 months.

woopigsooie

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2014
The Rocky Patel that captainsouise mentioned is my favorite cigar, I also really like the Rocky Patel American Market Selection and Romeo Y Julieta Reserva Real. I prefer robustos.

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
Rocky Patel Edge Sumatra. I find it to be an excellent cigar with a rich but not overbearing flavor in a good strength. For $7-$10 it's an easy favorite.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Tupperware. No joke.
Definitely!
The Arturo's are great ... another fantastic stick is Ashton VSG.

I'm also a big fan of the Padron 5000's.
On the value side I'd say Bahia Maduro and Sancho Panza Double Maduro.
If you like Latakia, you must try the AJ Fernandez Spectre.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
+1 troutface
I second the Tupperware (Tupperdor as they are referred to). Get a Boveda pack and you're good to go, but make sure the container is the one with a rubber lip and it has locks to keep it tight. As for a stick, I recently had a La Aroma de Cuba - Mi Amor that was really good. Good consistent burn and flavor.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I know, there is a world of cigars out there, but I just want a recommendation for one good one to try on my next pipe tobacco order. I am currently eyeing Arturo Fuente Hemingway Maduro.
That sounds like a good choice, the short story natural made the top 25 cigar aficionado list last year.

Jun 4, 2014
+1 for the Fuente Hemingway Short Story natural, it is a great smoke. If you want something stouter Oliva Series V, Padron, My Father.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Yeah the oliva series 5 sounds great, that also made the list of best cigars of 2013.
These really peak my interest

http://kohnhed.com/2013/08/08/cigar-review-alec-bradley-american-sun-grown-blend/
And I have a box of Joya de nicaruaga antano 1970 robusto's coming which took the cigar world by storm when they were brought back

http://www.cigarinspector.com/joya-de-nicaragua/joya-de-nicaragua-antano-1970-robusto
All of these are under 100$ a box and made the top 25 lists. I just make a fake humidor out of a bucket and keep the cigars in the cases and it's like creating a walk in humidor. I have a box of Cohiba esplendido's and Monte Cristo #4, I just can't bring myself to smoke them more than once a year, so I'm getting into some cigars for a weekly treat.

wingsfan

Lurker
Jun 29, 2013
Lately I've been liking a Rocky Patel Nording, it's a cigar he made for Erik Nording as a gift.

curl

Apr 29, 2014
I've smoked a lot of Rocky Patel 2003 Cameroons, with the blue wrapper.

Also like Camacho cigars, the milder ones.

Connecticut wrapped cigars are my current favorites.

Status
Not open for further replies.