Recommend me some tobaccos (novice pipe smoker asking)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars
36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
6 Fresh Castello Pipes
24 Fresh Rossi Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewalrus21

Lurker
Jul 26, 2014
Hey so I have been a pipe smoker for about 6 months now, and I really want to try it all. My favorite is probably Petersons University Flake. I bought one perique blend but haven't dared to try it yet. Currently I have tried:

7 Seas Regular and Royal Blend,

Savinelli Black Cavendish,

Peterson University Flake, Sherlock Holmes and Nutty Cut,

Mac Baren Vanilla Cream,

Capstan Gold Navy Cut.

I do prefer Virginias over Aromatics, I haven't tried English yet but I am super exited to try it.
Could you recommend me some pipe tobacco, your favorites and the ones "you have to try"?

No house blends though, I live in europe and customs is a pain.
Thanks a lot,

TW

catyrpelius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 9, 2014
New Jersey
Mac Baren Old Fark Fired is one of my favorites and I think everyone should try it. You can't go wrong with some Prince Albert or Carter Hall in my opinon.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
If you are in Europe, I would say you must try some Sam Gawith flakes- Gawith St. James Flake is one of my favorite tobaccos. Full Virginia Flake is a famous blend from them too. You should definitely explore the Germain offerings too. I would say definitely try Penzance if you can find some. You will hear a lot of people on this forum poo-poo it but it really is an excellent English blend. If nothing else it will give you a good starting point to compare other English blends too.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Escudo. Sets the bar for VA/PER blends IMO.

Dunhill 965. Yea, its not the same as the "old" blend, but a damn fine English that's forgiving, easy to smoke.

+1 Highplains-- Penzance if you dare....... you'll be hooked and the search will be on!! LOL!!

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
I'd recommend Dockworker by HU Tobacco, a German Blender and any of the Irish Plugs, Condor, Warrior and Mick McQuaid are all superb.

bulletsnbriars

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2013
Nashville/Williston
Hey Walrus! This is @concerningthetravisty, weve been swapping likes on IG for a while now, welcome to the forums!
Seems like youre a fan of Peterson, since youre looking for an english, try Old Dublin by them, it is quite tasty and easy to find in europe. Also give Early Morning Pipe and Nightcap a try; they are classics of the genre.

Status
Not open for further replies.