PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I am learning what I like and am attempting to identify the various components of blends as I try them. I know now that I like blends with Virginia, Latakia, Perique and 'Cavendish' in them.

I am trying to see which components are my favorites and be able to 'taste' them. Retrohale is helping I think.
So, recommendations for a straight Virginia tobacco? I know I like Golden Slice, Frog Morton Cellar and My Mixture 965 blends.

bosmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2017
I like McClelland's matured virginia series, No 24 and 27 are worth checking out. No 24 has a whisper of Basma leaf that I really enjoy.

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
I would recommend trying a couple of different styles of straight Virginia. Anything by McClellands is a good start. On the other end of the spectrum one of the meatier European style Virginias like Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake or Capstan are worth a try.

txpiper07

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 18, 2017
+1 for Capstan blue.

I’m also a big fan of Orlik Golden Sliced. I know it’s technically a VaPer, but the perique is so mild I can’t detect it in taste at all, only a little bit in the spicy mouth feel.

I’ve got some C&D Opening Night in the mail, it was on sale at P&C, and jiminks gave it a good review on tobaccorreviews, unfortunately I’ll be out of town and won’t get to try it until next week

64alex

May 10, 2016
[I would recommend trying a couple of different styles of straight Virginia. Anything by McClellands is a good start. On the other end of the spectrum one of the meatier European style Virginias like Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake or Capstan are worth a try.]
I second that. You should try American style with McClelland being the leader and the European particularly with the twin Gawiths (now back under the same roof). Difference is that American source American grown Virginia while The Gawith source from the former British Empire (mainly Indian and African particularly Malawy) so in some way they are different. Both great and worth to try.

64alex

May 10, 2016
[Black Twist XX]
I question I always had in my mind is if Black Twist is a true Virginia as my understanding it is the Brown number 4 which underwent steeming and the brown number 4 is listed as cigar leaf, kentucky and Virginia.

It would be interesting to see what is really.

bosmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2017
I have been smoking out of an 8 year old tin of Union Square recently and it has been excellent!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Another vote for Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake. McClelland's straight Virginias I find to be far too mild, the flavour is there but it has to be hunted out. FVF on the other hand is dripping with flavours from start to finish.
Regards,
Jay.

skydog

Jun 27, 2017
I've never detected any essence in FVF. Just quality VA's. I am a huge McClelland fan and Matured Virginia No. 27 and 40th Anniversary are both amazing but Blackwoods Flake is hands down my favorite.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I read all the advice and then dug in my 'cellar' and found Sutliff Virginia Slices. It is supposed to have 'light topping' but I didn't detect it. I am dedicating a virgin MM Little Devil Cutty to this project. First bowl was nice. I have learned to dry my tobacco before I try it. This sat for several hours and was still a bit moist in the little pipe. I am leaving the rest of the rubbed out batch out overnight.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
MCCRANIES RED RIBBON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Also:

McClelland 40th Anniversary

McClelland Christmas Cheer (any year you can find)

McClelland Stave Aged

PS Luxury Twist Flake (Very light vanilla/coconut flavor but still considered a straight va)

McClelland Fragrant Matured Cake

McClelland Old World Classic Cake

Status
Not open for further replies.