Recent purchase from eBay (Vintage? Missouri)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennyjo

Might Stick Around
Feb 20, 2012
Recently saw that on eBay.

sl271207.jpg

It was very nice and cheap, so I bought it.

Today, after I open the parcel, I find out that this pipe is....strange.

sl271209.jpg

sl271211.jpg

Can someone please tell me what kind of filter is that and why is this corncob pipe looks so strange? :worship:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I believe that is called an inner tube type filter, not sure what it is doing on a cob, never seen that before. I am sure someone will be able to answer better than me.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
First off, is there a label on the bottom of the pipe? The reason I ask is that 45-75 years ago, there were quite a few companies still making corncob pipes, and the competition caused some manufacturers to make some extremely high quality pipes, including MM at the time. My guess is that your cob is from the 1940-1960 era. Is the filter washable or replaceable? Possibly Sunday Cobs, which was in Canada, borrowed an idea from Brigham Pipes, which is also in Canada.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Not sure but it is a nice looking cob. It definitely looks older as stated above.

kennyjo

Might Stick Around
Feb 20, 2012
Thanks everyone.
There is a marking under the pipe..

t2ec16he9s2fdwrybqgzzmy.jpg
(image from seller)
I like this pipe (although I have smoked it yet...), but I am very interested in that.. filter.

It seems like that are some small carbon block inside the tube.

very very strange....
Also, it makes me feel that the history of corncob pipe is way more interesting than I thought (like there may be a revolution in its design)..

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
There looks to be some sort of trademark stamping on the stem. Got a close up of that? It's possible someone has replaced the MM stem with one from another pipe.

I have one old MM cob that has a vulcanite stem with a stinger and a vulcanite ring on the shank which is cork lined.

Status
Not open for further replies.