PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
The first is a Kaywoodie. From my research, this pipe is a pre-1935! Looks to be in excellent shape. Paid $26.00 which I think is fair.
kaywoodie.jpg

The other pipe is a Peterson "Natural" Killarney. From my research into this pipe, it dates between 1948-1959. The grain looks incredible and I am really looking forward to fixing it up.
Paid $29 - which I am really happy with.
killarney21.jpg

Both of these are Dublins, which I am becoming increasingly fond of.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Hey Six, I just traded a pipe for a Kaywoodie that looks just like that. I've smoked a few bowls of Three Nuns in it and it is a great smoker. I love how light it is. Nicely done!

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks br - that's great to hear. This Kaywoodie is on the small side - 5.5" long, with a small bowl (so many from that era seem to be). However, as I often only have time for a short smoke, that should be okay.
Really curious how both of these pipes will smoke.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
The one I traded for was from Pruss and he had his dated to 1929 and it is that exact shape and colour. I don't have it in front of me to check the nomenclature but it is on the smallish size but I've been able to get a good hour smoke out of it with the Three Nuns. I love that size of pipe, for me its perfect and easy to clench. Hope it smokes great for you.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
he had his dated to 1929 and it is that exact shape and colour
Very interesting. This one is dated between 1925 - 1935. So it's even possible it's from the '20s. I have a soft spot in my heart (or is it my head?!) for these older pipes.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
six, don't know how I missed these. Both are great looking classics. I am partial to Dublins as you know so those are both in my wheel house. The grain on that Pete should pop when you get it cleaned up. Let us know how they smoke for you, congrats.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hey lads.
I'm with Harris, totally dumbfounded how I missed this thread the first time around. Nice pick-ups Six!
The Dublin which I traded brdavidson for was had the following Pipe Marks: KBB - Kaywoodie - Drinkless - Synchrostem - Pat App For - Aged Briar - 7708
As far as I could tell, the period of time which the "Pat App For" stamp appeared was 1929 - 1931. So I'd ball-park it in there. It really is a sweet little pipe. I'm thrilled to see yours Six, because the one I traded Brian was my first attempt at a re-stain. I think I came pretty close to the original: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/first-attempt-at-staining-an-estate-pipe-kbbkaywoodie-drinkless
Congrats again Six. Looking forward to seeing how the Pete turns out.
-- Pat

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Great pick ups and very acceptable prices, Number 6. I would gladly have either of those in my rotation. Except for my recent Pete Ebony Killarney, I've been sticking to new pipe purchases. Haven't found/bought a fixer-upper in quite some time.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks guys! I haven't rec'd them yet - should be this week tho!
The grain on that Pete should pop when you get it cleaned up.
My thoughts exactly.
As far as I could tell, the period of time which the "Pat App For" stamp appeared was 1929 - 1931.
That pipe is a beauty. I think mine is a little newer, but definitely from the '30s at least.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Those early Kaywoodies are super pipes! Made from century old briar that was carefully air dried and cured, KBB was sitting on a mountain of the finest quality briar available in the late '20's thru early '30's. If your pipe has a Synchrostem stinger, it dates to 1928 or later. If the pipe has "patent app for" stamped on it, or on the stinger, it's pre-1933. Kaywoodie received its patent for the Synchrostem in 1933. If the pipe has a KBB enclosed in a shamrock stamped on it, then it's pre 1932 as that was when Kaywoodie set up its own factory and dropped the KBB from its stampings. If the pipe has either "Aged Bruyere" or Grecian Briar stamped on it, it's pre-1937. Kaywoodie started stamping the term "Imported Briar" on its pipes instead in 1937.

It's unfortunate in the extreme that the Kaywoodie Compendium is no longer available online. Dennis Moore's article on dating a Kaywoodie is by far the best one available for this brand and the list of pipe numbers accompanied by images was an excellent resource. I hope that it will reappear someday, but until then, Kaywoodie fans will be living in the dark ages when it comes to information.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks guys - much appreciated. They arrive today, can't wait to get started on them.
And thanks @sablebrush52 for that primer. Very good to know!

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Have you had a chance to smoke the Kaywoodie yet Six? I had another bowl of Three Nuns out of mine last night. It is a gem of a pipe.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Have you had a chance to smoke the Kaywoodie yet Six?
Good to hear! I should receive it today. The clean up may prevent me from trying it until the weekend. I will report back. :puffy:

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
I've had my eye out for a Kaywoodie of that vintage, having heard a lot of good things. They're out there, and affordable. Sable's post is a great guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.