Received my T. Polinski XXL Poker (Review)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I have been eyeing one of these for a while now but hadn't been able to get the winning bid on one. Well, just about a week ago I won the auction. After a 10 day wait it arrived.
photo-22-450x600.jpg

The pipe fits well in my palm and it isn't small. There are bigger pipes out there, but this poker is now my biggest hunk of briar. I could fit my thumb in to the chamber just past the first joint.
So, how does it smoke?
It smokes just fine. I stuffed it full of some Lane RLP-6 and was able to get some really good puffs out of it on the initial break in. I will note that I did leave in the filter that came with it, something I do if a new pipe comes with one. With the filter in I can imagine the draw will be even better without it.
I wanted to give a good run down of my initial impressions as I have seen little conversation on the forum and what I had seen seemed placed because all the positive comments were from users who had no posts prior to it. Luckily they haven't shown to be false other than they were surely product placement. "Polinski PAD" post
photo-12-450x600.jpg

I really like the grain on this and the mottled rustication. For the size, quality and price, I would say it is a sound investment on a pipe that would command a much higher price from a more well known maker. Polinski is a direct eBay seller (or at least his pipes are, from House of Pipes in Poland), with the option to bid-to-win or Buy It Now on his pipes.
Obviously since I received it today and managed to only burn one bowl in it thus far I can't say with absolute certainty that this is a true winner, but I don't forsee any problems after the initial smoke based on its draw and craftsmanship. It appears to be very well made and built to last.
I would recommend it.

werebear

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2014
Beautiful pipe, and I wholeheartedly agree with you about the grain.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I have been admiring his pipes for a long time. One of these days I will win one.
Winton

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Yeah, this isn't my usual kind of pipe at all, but I fell for this one the moment I saw it.

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
Great post. I have been eyeing these frequently on the bay because I love the rustication so much. Congrats on the new pipe.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I follow House of Pipes on ebay and I'm always checking out the Polinski pipes, but I've yet to purchase one. There has been a few I've been interested in, but the pipe purchasing budget is shot at the moment and has been for a while.
Enjoy the new pipe!

jackd016

Lurker
Jun 9, 2014
Hi! I am a newbie here. And had a Stanwell bulldog with me. But i am bidding T.Polinski poker pipe on ebay as well!!

I am impress of his work and hope for my luck! cheers! Can wait to get one. :D

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
UPDATE: I totally forgot how much of a chore breaking in a new pipe can be. I think I'm going to smoke the hell out of it for a couple weeks. Now I remember another reason why I almost always buy estates.

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
Haha I feel you buddy. I hate breaking in new pipes. I imagine someone around here could make some good money breaking in pipes for other people.

Dec 24, 2012
I have looked at pipes from this carver as well - he has a definite style about him. That thing looks like it holds an entire tin at a time. Congrats.
As for breaking it in, I agree with you. I love buying new pipes but hate breaking the bastards in.

marine33

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2014
That is one nice pipe. If you want send it me and ill smoke 2-3 bowls and send back. You know to help you break it in. Bhahahah

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
@peck, the chamber is deep and does hold quite a bit. I really dug his style, especially this one. It was calling me and I figured I'll probably never buy a top dollar pipe or one of those wild and expensive freehand/artisan pipes ... this will probably be it and for a good price to boot.

Dec 24, 2012
I am assuming at the angle of that bend, plus being a filtered pipe, that there is no way this thing passes a pipe cleaner (sans filter of course)?

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Ya know Peck, I hadn't thought of that. I don't run cleaners through my pipes but every once and awhile. I'll have to check when I get home.

Status
Not open for further replies.