PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
It’s a dirty old day in Dublin today, foggy grey drizzle and a low oppressive sky. Work has a very low interest rate.

I made an order back in August from the States, before I joined this site and when I assumed I could bring in 250g of tobacco and not fall foul of import duties. I belatedly found out that all tobacco from outside the Eu must march to a €199 per kg tune of duty.

So I dug in and waited for the parcel to arrive.

Then I waited some more while checking the tracking number daily, to much finger drumming and heavy sighing as the parcel slowly moved from South Carolina on to Florida, seemingly by camel caravan give the length of time it took.

Eventually the parcel left Florida on the 28th of August, Hurrah says I!! I’ll be expanding my smoking repertoire withi n days, or so I thought. Wrongly.

I checked the tracking online daily, well a number of times a day actually. No change, no movement.

As of this morning the only information was that the parcel was in transit to the destination. No change to the update of the 28th.

I was starting to wonder had my leaf sank to the bottom of the ocean or was some pirate puffing away on it. Or worse still a customs officer was weighing up to the cent the amount of duty to be squeezed from my turnip shaped wallet.

Ho-ing and humming to myself and trying to tamp down my impatience to try the new and wonderful tobacco that was by now probably in the belly of a whale, I shuffled off to coffee break.

When I got back to my desk, someone had left a small brown box on my desk, assuming it to be work related I pushed it to one side and continued to await the caffeine kick.

From the corner of my eye I saw the USPS logo on one side of the box. No I thought, couldn’t be surely the internet tracking was accurate and the parcel hadn’t even arrived in Ireland. So I opened it,and,yes, the smell of leathery tobacco started to escape as I slit the sticky tape open!!!!

Finally almost a month for ordering my tobacco was here.
No duty demanded!!
50g of Orlik Golden Sliced

50g of Frog Morton

50g SW Full Virgina Flake

2oz Mississippi River

Plus a sample of Gaslight

Now I have decide which to smoke first when I get home. That’s my kind of pipe smoking dilemma :puffpipe:

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Glad things turned out for the best. If you're a latakia lover then Gaslight will be a most pleasant experience. Just remember to pack your pipe loosely for the best results. Happy smoke rings.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Really pleased for you oldreddog! What a great feeling that must have been! I've had two of my last three overseas parcels seized by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs, with no recourse to reason or payment. Ironically, the two that were pulled were from within the EU, whereas the other was from the US. I occasionally fall foul of of the new, ludicrously low UK mailing value limits that are being rigorously enforced by HMRC, but that's small potatoes while they don't seem to look inside the parcels. Everything in your haul is a favourite with me, especially the Mississippi River and the Gaslight; enjoy!
Andy

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
Thanks fellas!!!
Andy that's a pain having your parcels seized, I hope your US haul was huge :)
I think my cellar is now going to be a longer affair to assemble than I naively first assumed......on the bright side that leaves more time to obsess and research tobacco!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ah, I loved my time in Dublin. St. Stephens Green and the Liffey. I like the modest size and feel

of the writers museum. It's a great city for pipe smoking. No wonder Ireland has a sort of national

pipe in Peterson. Glad your shipment of leaf arrived at last.

Status
Not open for further replies.