PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
I like squadron leader too, but nightcap is great!
Any recommendations close to nightcap so that I can converge on perfection (for my taste)?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nightcap was my first full strength blend, and I dove right in. First smoke was a real nic buzz, but

once I had a range on it, it got better and better. Some of the other full strength blends I like aren"t

even Latakia blends. Some of the C&D non-aromatic burleys are that same kind of full taste, like

Old Joe Krantz and Billy Budd. Nightcap is special enough, I don't like to group it with other strong

Lat blends, even the good ones. It may not be perfect, but it's one of a kind.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Bcharles123:
Nightcap owns me and has for several years.
It's the yardstick I measure by and I don't give a good flying damn if the new stuff isn't as good as the stuff from whomever the blender was ten, fifteen, twenty five or fifty years ago.
That said, I still enjoy C&D's ballsy Montford Point Marines, SPC's Plum Pudding, Craig Tarler's brilliant Low Country Black & Stimulus Package and P&C's Larry's Blend plus Black House and Magnum Opus.
If you want something lighter to hang a lip over then try the best selling Balkan Sasieni, P&C's lovely 10 to Midnight and my current fav C&D's Star of the East.
Lat burners get a bad rap because our smoke of choice is "monochromatic."
You know what? Get effed.
Some of us like a tobacco that fights backs and tries to take control of the wheel. I live in Kansas and when one more pundit spouts, "It smells like hay.... or freshly cut grass," I'm going H.L. Mencken, "...hoisting the black flag and slitting throats." I'm not looking to smoke a lawn, guys. But sometimes using mulch really shouldn't be the primary descriptor of your product.
Happy smokes, pard.
Fnord
P.S. Want a quality, bargain English smoke, Bcharles123? Buy some Peter Stokkesbye Proper English bulk. That stuff is just fine.

F.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As good as Nightcap is, it is also a fine picker-upper for other blends. A pinch will enliven many other

blends.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
C&D's - Billy Budd is a great smoke, and it's got a kick to it too, however it's very different from Nightcap due to the prominent cigar leaf in the blend. I enjoy it quite often.
My other favorite C&D blends are Mountain Camp, and Byzantium. Both are heavy in the Nic department.
I'm a big fan of C&D tobacco's. I find that one of the things I like about their blends is the rough cut they have on the leaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.