PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
This is ridiculous: decided to bring my Brigham out of seclusion and had a half bowl this morn. Well, the mouthpiece is now greenish. :x
I know that vulcanite tends to oxidise and turn green, but I assumed it was after tons of use. Green after one smoke? Well, okay, that pipe has been smoked less than 20 times in its lifetime... but, still, seriously?
If this is the case with vulcanite I'm gonna avoid it like the plague now.
What do you do to return the stem back to black?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You have to remove the oxidation. Did you keep oil or wax on it while it was being stored?

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I know that vulcanite tends to oxidise and turn green, but I assumed it was after tons of use. Green after one smoke?
A couple of days in the sun will turn them quickly as will very hot water and steam.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Nope. It was just sitting in the rack.
I took it from the rack yesternight and the night before and put it in my mouth a few times but didn't smoke it (I needed to compose a letter and I think better with a pipe in hand or going through the smoking motions).

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
Some vulcanite seems to be worse than others. I have a Stanwell which turns a rancid greenish yellow if I so much as look at it whereas others can remain black for months. I have come to the conclusion that vulcanite will turn a nasty colour and develop an unpleasant mouth feel regardless of how I treat it during and after a smoke and the only real difference is how quickly this happens. I have given up keeping them jet black. It's like pissing into the wind. I have accepted a little colour on them but one thing I can't abide is the nasty mouthfeel some of them develop and this is removed with micromesh pads whenever it rears it's ugly head.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Mineral oil and chapstick work very well as a preventative. I know I've made folks sick with this image, but all that was used to clean the stem was Magic Erasers, Barkeeper's Friend and toothpaste.
20180613_180543.jpg

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Vulcanite is a real pain in the ass, but sadly, it's way more comfortable than any of the no-maintenance materials.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Chapstick works and obsidian oil is good too. Use your hand to rub it in, let it sit then rub with a soft cloth.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Just apply any of those and rub with a napkin?
The Magic Erasers take a little elbow grease, but thumb buffing is all that's required for the Barkeeper's Friend and toothpaste. My wife picked me up a GBD Conquest at a yard sale yesterday, may do a video of part of the clean up. Sometimes all that's necessary is a lighter and a wet paper towel.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
I like to soak for an hour or so in bleach, then rub with olive oil and let set for a daybor two, then olive oil again and then burts bees chapstick if I'm feelin waxy. Doesn't get a mirror shine but i like the deep black matte look it gets and I have one II did over the summer and still black w no reaplication. I use those supplies because they're what I have on hand and they work for me. With all that said I go w acrylic whenever possible.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Vulcanite comes in varying grades of quality, the cheaper grades having a higher sulphur content. Cheaper pipes, cheaper materials. I don't really have much difficulty with Vulcanite discoloration. I don't keep pipes in a rack where they're exposed to light. Mine are stored in fitted cases. And I wax the stems with Halcyon or Paragon acting as a barrier. Over a number of smokes the end of the stem may dull a little bit so when I do a deep cleaning I polish the stem and renew the wax coating.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I hate acrylic. I'm a clencher, but I've never had a problem with vulcanite.
That's me as well. Once cleaned up and maintained, I have pipes in my collection that have remained oxidation free for years.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I'm acrylic all the way. And I'm a clencher as well. It's much more comfortable to me. I need the tougher material, as I could chew threw a vulcanite stem in a month.

kimbiker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2014
I was a bit apprehensive regarding vulcanite but I have recently purchased a Peterson Dublin and the vulcanite mouthpiece has not lost it's shine one jot.

Status
Not open for further replies.