PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I ran across this listing from Valitchka for an "Early Make" Comoy's. Based on the "C" inlaid in the stem, I am wondering if this actually a fairly recent production pipe. Thoughts?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Comoy-s-DE-LUXE-22Kt-Gold-Plate-Mount-Full-Bent-in-Nice-Shape-/391026306977?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b0afbefa1

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Methinks we have an older bowl with a replaced, or fixed up mount. The combination of the arched Comoy's logo and the circular Made in England suggests that this pipe dates to the mid to late 1940's and possibly slightly later. What catches my attention is the 22kt gold plate semi spigot. It just doesn't match the bowl. Logo is a different era from the bowl and gold plate is a cheesy grade. Why do that when 9kt, 14kt or sterling were basic standards for bling when this bowl was made?

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I wondered about that. The briar looked much older than the rest. The loss of some the plating does not help that gold semi-spigot.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I believe that pipe is from the Cadogan era, made after 1982. Comoys ran some anniversary pipes with 14k gold fittings and that looks like one. I sold a straight Billiard Deluxe a few years ago that was unsmoked and came with the box, which was a modern box.

I believe Comoys brought back some of their old stamping, to confuse the issue! The arched "Comoy's" (1930's) and round "Made In London" with straight line "England" (1950's)were from two different eras. The arched Comoy's was typically used with the round "Made in London" only stamp.
$_57.JPG

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Al, Comoy used the arched logo as late as the late '40's so the two stamps could have co-existed for a short time, but I like your explanation better.
I've seen a few Sasieni 8 dot reissues that have been promoted as pre-war. I don't think that it's always a case of deliberate deception on the part of the seller. Sometimes I think that the seller doesn't know the difference.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That's a guess. The briar does have a pre-WWII look to it for sure. Re-looking at that stem fitment, it doesn't seem to fit. Someone could have cobbled it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.