PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

walt24

Might Stick Around
Jan 12, 2015
I was cruising e-bay and stumbled across this item # 401256224665 it is said to be a Upshaw xx in the finest tradition.

Now I own a unsmoked boxed XX that I got from Tony Soderman "Mr Can" I simply cannot believe this is a XX. Maybe I miss read!
Walter

bentbob

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2015
I think the XX refers to the length of the shank not the grade of the briar.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
Yes, this Upshall is marked XX due to the length of shank. This was after my time with James Upshall and I don't think it is a very helpful stamp to put on a sandblasted pipe. XL EXL or something like that would have been more helpful. It could be that it was the quickest way to mark the shank extra extra long, as the XX stamp die is sitting there with all the other stamp dies.

walt24
Now I own a unsmoked boxed XX

I would love to see a photo of your James Upshall XX grade. This was James Upshall's highest grade and very rare in my opinion.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I don't see the XX anywhere?
Unfortunately this is a seller that has not proven trustworthy.
Pbarkestsq62w1.JPG

bentbob

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2015
I think the seller is now Moti's widow and I suspect she isn't as knowledgeable as could be hoped for. It might be me but I think the prices of some of the pipes she is selling are becoming a little more reasonable. Whether she is just trying to get rid of them or can't shift them because nobody is buying from JU due to past misdemeanors (Moti didn't commit and offence as far as I'm aware, at least in the UK) I couldn't say.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
Only one photo on the eBay listing? Maybe I have the wrong link.... (and/or: Al, where did your photo come from?)

jpmcwjr this is the link.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LARGE-1990-JAMES-UPSHALL-BARK-X-X-LONG-SQUARE-PANEL-SITTER-FREEHAND-MINT-/401256224665?hash=item5d6cbc1799:g:gGwAAOSwjDZYci7y

It does not seem to be stamped XX it was only in the title to describe the length of the shank.

like t-shirts I suppose XXL etc. Could be a cunning ploy to grab the attention of people.

You need to scroll down to see the other photos

I don't think I have seen that James Upshall stamp before i.e. without the logo

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
I think she is only indicating it is a very long pipe. Most people frequenting that site would likely not be aware that it could be a special grade of Upshall. I bought a pipe from her and was very pleased with the quality of the pipe and it was at a very fair price. And I should point out I am very aware of the suspicions floating around some time back that Moty was buying old beaters and refurbishing them to sell as NOS or whatever.

bentbob

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2015
"I am very aware of the suspicions floating around some time back that Moty was buying old beaters and refurbishing them to sell as NOS or whatever."
Yes and it caused some outrage at the time! However, I do seem to think that under English law, as he owned the brand he was selling the re-stamped pipes under, he had a legal right to do so. I'm no solicitor though and can't remember the details.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
I am very aware of the suspicions floating around some time back that Moty was buying old beaters and refurbishing them to sell as NOS or whatever.

I am quite saddened by that as I heard this too and to think he had one of the best craftsman around and apparently some really good quality plateaux (which was sold as a job lot some four months ago) and chose to strip and refinish cheap pipes. Why? I really do not understand the logic.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
Things changes. I got a modest brochure (100 x 230 mm - 4 pages,nothing on the back) from Tilshead Pipe Co.Ltd

14 Keys Chequer Salisbury - an very early one.

" at Tilshead, we do not try to hide these tiny imperfections,because we want the smoker to know everything.........

so we will never use filler ".

On the front page there is a drawing of a dublin.I made a drawing of that and sent it to the Co. asking if I could get such one at a resonable price. 2 or 3 months later a parcel arrived,invoice:25 July 1986,customers order,letter

1 naturel Tilshead pipe £ 25 plus 1 for the post.

The pipe,not exactly as the drawing but better,a pot dublin with a wide bowl,straight grain with only 2 small flaws on the shank.I was in a hurry to send Kennedy the money.

In october I saw one of these selling out Tilsheads,dublin shape,dark colour.Some days after it arrived I would look for the flaws- no flaws but a group of putty fills.

The pipe is fine,the price were fair and I like it.But things have changed.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
Jensen: I am really moved reading this message. I still have one of these brochures and immediately wanted to photograph it for this thread but it is covered with hand written ex-factory prices for each quality which I do not want to exhibit at this time. Yes, 14 Cross Keys Chequer was my father's shop in Salisbury and he used to pack and post small special orders from there. This brochure is very rare I think and it may be a great one for James Upshall pipedia.

Yes, things change. I just realised that one part of pipe-making that I have no idea about is filling. I have never seen it done and don't know anything about it and I am happy with that.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
The Pipe Monk
Just curious, who owns the Upshall Brand Rights now?

Karen Ezrati, who is the widow of Moty, has the James Upshall name although production stopped quite a while ago.

The factory/workshop still has a lot of the original machines and tools still there, which she apparently wants to sell. The tradition of hand made English pipes is starting to fade although there are one or two small workshops making limited numbers.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
Karen was in negotiations with someone about 5 months back and not sure if it went anywhere. The rights to the name and factory might still be for sale. If interested I am sure you could contact her.

Status
Not open for further replies.