PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
Went to try to place an order from P&C and they do not have ANY Prince Albert of any kind. Seriously how does this happen?

How hard can it be to keep an OTC as popular as PA stocked? :twisted:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've been puzzled by the difficulty of buying brands of OTC. It's easier to track down tins of Dunhill blends

than either a tin or pouches of Granger, for example. One of the chains of smoker shops has gone nearly

entirely to their house tobaccos, a kind of economy generic. You can get some OTC, but it's no selection.

Groceries and drug stores in these parts often carry no pipe tobacco at all, although they still maintain a

heavy revenue stream of cigarettes. When the smoker shops have OTC's, 14 oz tins are priced about ten dollars

higher than online or discount places. The pipes and pipe tobacco business seems to be struggling with

distribution in general. The only place I know that has a real rack of Dr. Grabow's is a big discount outfit

on I-95. Pipes shops, drug stores, Walmarts, etc., just don't carry them. Apparently, we're a niche market

that is mostly accessible online. But it's a really quirky business, with much uncertainty all around, it seems.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
nsfisher, I placed my last 2 orders with 4noggins after the fiasco at P&C but wanted to give them another shot and share the wealth among site sponsors. The way it looks though Rich is going to be getting my business full time shortly.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
I've been extremely flustered during my physical search for some OTCs in various physical entities around the city. I've been trying to spot Velvet and regular Sail at around six CVS drugstores, two Safeways, and one Harris Teeter with absolutely no luck. It seems that all they ever have is Buggler, Top, and Drum. I've seen one pouch of Troost.
I never been able to find Velvet...

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
Try Smoker Friendly if you have them in your area. They have all the OTCs it seems like. Funny this topic should come up. I just tried Captain Black again and remembered I can't stand it anymore. Just doesn't taste good. I am curious about Prince Albert, Carter Hall, and Half and Half. It'd be nice to find something easier to find for cheap that I like...

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
Try Smoker Friendly if you have them in your area. They have all the OTCs it seems like. Funny this topic should come up. I just tried Captain Black again and remembered I can't stand it anymore. Just doesn't taste good. I am curious about Prince Albert, Carter Hall, and Half and Half. It'd be nice to find something easier to find for cheap that I like...

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I guess I beat the rush on the McClelland brands. My order got shipped last Friday. The only downside being that I went with the free UPS shipping. I'm hoping it gets here by the end of this week. Hope all your orders come through soon. As far as OTC blends they were trying to get rid of a lot of Captain Black judging by the discount; although doesn't really help if you want some CH or PA.

Dec 24, 2012
Don't forget they are in the midst of a MAJOR transition.
I don't buy this major transition excuse. Many companies go through significant transitions - and those transitions have to be managed so they don't impact the customer. This transition is being managed extremely poorly by all accounts. That much is obvious.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
I wanted to buy a pipe from P&C, I had some questions that the representative could not answer. My phone number was taken down and I was told I would be called back. I waited over a week then I called another business and bought from them. I do not like poor customer service.

Dec 24, 2012
Yeah, they never got back to me recently either. It really is a shame. As I said, I'm sure their competition are getting a bit of an uplift.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
Don't forget they are in the midst of a MAJOR transition.
I don't buy this major transition excuse. Many companies go through significant transitions - and those transitions have to be managed so they don't impact the customer. This transition is being managed extremely poorly by all accounts. That much is obvious.
Yeah, I think the other online vendors are making hay while P&C implodes

+1 peckinpahhombre
I have been signed up to be emailed when something comes back in stock that was supposed to be "5-7 days" and it was back in stock about 3 weeks later and it was over a month before I got notification.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
We are receiving in a lot of product every day, and are increasing our stock levels to avoid problems in the future.

I'll be the first to admit that there have been a lot of mistakes made by us during the move. Our customer service people have been working hard to keep up, but, frankly, they've been overwhelmed. Our buyers are placing big orders to catch up.

I know that I've been asking a lot for people to try to be patient. We've worked hard for a long time to earn peoples' trust and this stretch has damaged that. I've been seeing progress, but it's certainly taken longer than I had hoped.

We'll be back on track shortly, and we'll be putting great deals out there to make it worth your while to give us a chance to make it right.

In the meantime, if you have a problem that needs to be addressed, please feel free to email me directly at russo@pipesandcigars.com and I will personally deal with the issue. For those who have been upset, I can only apologize and hope that, at some point, you'll give us a chance to earn your business again. For those of you who have stuck with us and have shown extraordinary patience, I thank you and promise that there will be a payoff for your faith in us.
Russ

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
Thanks for the update Russ, I guess I have just been very disappointed with the less than stellar performance during and after the move thus far. I had done ALL of my online purchases with P&C prior to this and had gotten used to the fantastic service I had received and was/am a bit disappointed with the way things have gone. I have not completely given up yet and am hoping to see the fine service I was used to from P&C in the past.

Thanks again for chiming in. :D

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Frankly, I'm more displeased than any of you that things haven't gone smoothly as I have to address these issues between our customers and our company. The best comparison I can make is what I'm dealing with personally. I've moved to a new area, don't know where to go for most of my needs, am trying to find a place to live and don't know anyone here, except for my co-workers. I'm getting used to the region a bit, and people have been more than willing to help me, but it's a bit like being in a strange room with no lights. I completely understand and apologize for the problems, but I'm doing whatever I can do to get things back to normal (as if things here are ever "normal").
Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.