Real Dumb New Guy Question

(61 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by shikano53
  • Latest reply from jpmcwjr
  1. shikano53

shikano53

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My journey so far has only been 5 months. Thanks to everyone on this forum I have and am, learning by leaps and bounds. Sometimes it is a one step forward and two steps backward kind of learning process. Anyway here is my question. A forum member who I highly respect suggested that I try, "pushing the smoke out through your nose."
    I have no idea how to do that. I was wondering if someone could at the least, try and explain although it is probably something you have see and attempt to emulate. I've never smoked anything previous to starting my pipe smoking journey. I have watched a few videos of someone pushing the smoke out through their nose but so far my attempts to try it have only resulted in a coughing fit.
    My apologies for such a crazy question.

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can't help you here. I've been smoking a pipe since 1974, and when I inhale, I still cough like a beginner. Inhaling isn't necessary to the enjoyment of pipe or cigar smoking. If it bothers you, just relax and enjoy the taste from puffing.

Posted 3 years ago #
  3. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Damn

Nate @ Moody AL
    Posted 3 years ago #
  4. fmgee

fmgee

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No inhaling needed. Take the smoke into your mouth and expel it through the nose. Great way to get all the flavour profile. I imagine if you don't do this at least occasionally it is kind of like eating a meal with a blocked nose... you "dampen" the potential flavours.

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. fmgee

fmgee

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh I should have said I cannot do it with the pipe in my mouth... I have not figured out that part yet. Bit of smoke in, all the smoke out... no coughing.

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. bonehed

bonehed

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Google 'retrohale' for explanations

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. oldreddog

oldreddog

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's not very necessary to pipe smoking enjoyment and perhaps overrated.
    But if you wish to persevere,sip some smoke, close your throat and exhale through your nose.
    Keep in mind that your taste buds are not in your nose or lungs however.

Killing me won't bring back your apples.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  8. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

He's not asking about "retrohaling."

Keep the smoke in your mouth and exhale through your nose. It's akin to swallowing, your tongue will, in reflex, seal the teeth but your throat will close. The smoke will be sucked out of your mouth, into your nose and out.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  9. pcr1

pcr1

Login to Send PM

I can do it by swallowing with my tounge against my hard palate.

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

But, your sense of taste is closely tied to your sense of smell. Ask anyone who has lost the sense of smell. The ability to taste is severely diminished.

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. yaddy306

yaddy306

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

He's not asking about "retrohaling."

Yes he is. See https://www.famous-smoke.com/cigaradvisor/retrohaling-the-nose-knows

Keep the smoke in your mouth and exhale through your nose. It's akin to swallowing, your tongue will, in reflex, seal the teeth but your throat will close. The smoke will be sucked out of your mouth, into your nose and out.

That's retrohaling - "pushing" smoke out your nose.

Posted 3 years ago #
  12. tarheel1

tarheel1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You can only tast 4 things with your tongue Aweet, salty, sour, and bitter. Your nose is what allows you all the other sensations of taste.

Posted 3 years ago #
  13. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My apologies, I thought retro was pushing the smoke out the mouth and sucking it back through the nose.

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. tarheel1

tarheel1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You are thinking of french inhale. Warren

Posted 3 years ago #
  15. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thank you. Confusion reigned for a few minutes there. I hate getting old, but the alternative is even less attractive.

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. oldreddog

oldreddog

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tarheel one can indeed taste those taste those 4 taste differentials on the tongue,and to my mind or tongue at least countless nuances in between.
    I think the nose or mine at least works best with tastes coming in rather than going out.
    Interestingly in ancient Greece, Athena I think it was that a punishment for adultery was the removal of the nose as it was considered a sexual organ.

Posted 3 years ago #
  17. shikano53

shikano53

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I will give this a try. If I pass out or swallow my tongue though I'm holding you guys responsible and will demand full restitution.

Posted 3 years ago #
  18. shikano53

shikano53

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Damn

Nate, could you elaborate please?

Posted 3 years ago #
  19. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's a purely individual decision, whether to exhale the pipe smoke through your nose. I don't think it's necessary to get full enjoyment from a tobacco pipe. Once you get the habit, you'll likely always smoke that way, so make your choice to suit yourself.

Posted 3 years ago #
  20. jkrug

jkrug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It sounds tricky but it's not that hard to catch on to. Draw the smoke into your mouth, remove the pipe and close your lips then exhale. The smoke has nowhere to go but out your nose. Exhale gently. Burns sometimes till you get used to it and some blends will vary. Good luck.

Posted 3 years ago #
  21. perlasca

perlasca

Login to Send PM

Draw smoke into your mouth. With your mouth closed, exhale through your nose.

It is as easy as that. Good luck.

Posted 3 years ago #
  22. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's easier for me to exhale and then draw the smoke back through the nostrils. That's what I thought retrohaling was, but clearly I am clueless here.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

vink

Login to Send PM

But if you wish to persevere,sip some smoke, close your throat and exhale through your nose.

I don't think it's overratted at all and you can really taste a lot more flavors that way. No taste buds in the nose but olfactive sensors yes. To me it's a real game changer!

Posted 3 years ago #
  24. hawke

hawke

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a friend who tries to exhale out the nose as I have showed him several times. He just cant seem to get it. I wonder if some folks just don't have an open airway between the two maybe?

Are those Tobacco Brownies?
    Posted 3 years ago #
  25. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Retrohale: or exhausting tobacco smoke via the nostrils without first inhaling it into the lungs may or may not enhance the taste aspects or the olfactory aspects but is also a way to extract some nicotine.
    Wow! 5 months? We gotta skype!

Posted 3 years ago #
  26. jaydublin

jaydublin

Login to Send PM

If you practice without the smoke you will get it without having to worry about accidentally inhaling smoke. It is very easy to do. Worrying about the smoke choking you makes it seem unnatural. And I believe it greatly enhances flavor detection. My experience is that it enhances perique and Virginia blends the most and Latakia the least.

Posted 3 years ago #
  27. shikano53

shikano53

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jaydublin, It makes sense to me now. I've tried it without smoke and I understand. I'll try it tomorrow (Sunday) with my morning smoke.

Jim, thanks, made me picture it in my minds eye.

Mike, First coffee in the morning I'll call you on Skype.

Posted 3 years ago #
  28. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Well, as the culprit here, I respectfully disagree. Now mind you, my experience is somewhat limited. I've only been smoking a pipe for the better part of 40 years. But, despite that lack of practical experience and practice, I'm quite sure regarding what I am experiencing. Flavor is a product of both taste and aroma. Try plugging your nose and eating a food, then try the same food with when you have the ability to smell its aroma. The experience is quite different and generally you experience greater flavor. Anyone who has had a severe head cold knows that their sense of "taste" of the foods that they eat is diminished.

I am an outdoor smoker. The only time that I smoke indoors is at a pipe club meeting or when attending a show. So I'm not sitting in a room in an aromatic cloud of smoke. As an outdoor smoker I can't rely on the room to provide me with part of the flavor profile. Indoors, you are getting some of your flavor from that aromatic cloud of smoke around you. You're inhaling the smoke when you breathe in and smelling its aroma along with what you taste in your mouth.

Being an outdoor smoker also means that I've had to experiment with drying times and preparation to find out when a blend will provide me with the most intense taste. No help from the room and the cloud.

Outdoors, I get the aromatic part of the flavor profile from smelling the smoke as I expel it. No static smoke cloud to inhale through my schnoz. And even on those few occasions when I do smoke indoors, my experience of the flavors in the blend I'm smoking is further enhanced when I retrohale. I also get the occasional benefit of not having to smell some other guys choice of skunk weed.

Outdoors, the difference in the extent of what I experience in flavor when I expel the smoke through my nose is profound.

But your taste buds are only part of the receptors that allow you to sense flavor. Your olfactive sensors are in your nose and they contribute mightily to what you experience as flavor.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 3 years ago #
  29. shawnofthedead

Shawn

Login to Send PM

It's easy. Just take a sip, close your lips, and imagine you are pushing the air and smoke from you mouth into your nose. Breathe out through your nose.

Life would go on as it had always gone on - that is, badly.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  30. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't consciously retrohale and though I'm usually an outdoor smoker, I don't notice any benefit from it when I do. In other words, you might find you like it, but it does vary from person to person.

Posted 3 years ago #
  31. bonehed

bonehed

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I find this a good article on the subject.

Posted 3 years ago #
  32. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigpond

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Shikano,

You're not crazy. Snorking is not a natural reflex and it takes a little practice. Once you've got it down it will become second nature and you'll be amongst those above that say it's easy. You don't need a pipe to practice the snork. The trick is to treat the smoke like soda, not air. You can suck soda through a straw without inhaling, right? Same deal

Take a small puff through your open mouth, hold it there for a beat, then close your mouth and exhale through your nose. It can help to press your tongue gently against the roof of your mouth on the exhale.

Posted 3 years ago #
  33. shikano53

shikano53

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

First, thank you all who have responded and provided me with their comments. Well I just came in from the garage from smoking a bowl of Acadian Perique and the technique works beautifully. I don't know if Acadian Perique is the best blend to try this on first, but it was a new experience and now that I at least know how it works I am going to keep doing it. Sable, I smoke mostly in the garage and outdoors. I have found that smoking outdoors is exactly as you commented. Even the slightest breeze wafts the smoke away. As a new pipe smoker and having smoked through the summer and now into the fall and cooler temperatures, I have discovered another phase of smoking a pipe, at least in Canada where the temps change seasonally. The smoke from my pile no longer sinks to the garage floor and out the door. It rises quite quickly due to the much cooler temperatures now and there is much more condensation in the stem and bowl. Again, being a new guy I can only imagine what it will be like when the temps really bottom out. But it's all part of the curve. My wife thinks I'm crazy to crawl out of a warm bed, strip naked in the garage, shiver, and put on my smoking attire just to smoke a bowl of tobacco.
    Anyway all, thank you so much for enabling me to cross another milestone on my adventure.
    Kindly
    Chris

Posted 3 years ago #
  34. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A forum member who I highly respect suggested that I try, "pushing the smoke out through your nose."

Simple answer: shut mouth, blow gently through nose. This will draw the smoke up through the sinuses.

JimInks and I agree on this issue. Not only is it not necessary, but in my view, can mute your ability to taste flavors.

Unless you are smoking right behind the draw of a powerful fan -- blowing the other direction -- you will get some smoke floating around the nose, from behind or out the mouth. It's all you need.

I tend to prefer to taste with the mouth and ambient scent.

There needs to be a "transcendental meditation for pipe smokers" class that teaches meditative breathing. Breath control is the key to life after all.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 3 years ago #
  35. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If "retrohale" is expelling smoke out the nostrils, what the hell is inhaling it after expelling it from the mouth?

And is such a good practice? A waste of time? Only good for x type of mixtures? A joy? Work of Satan? Socially unacceptable? Irretrievably cool? Hipster?

Explain your answer, 250 words or less.

Posted 3 years ago #
  36. shikano53

shikano53

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Please let me clarify. I was curious about the technique. My preferred smoking method is to simply smoke, and once I have exhaled, enjoy the sensory feed from my nose as I lean into the smoke and taste.

Posted 3 years ago #
  37. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

If "retrohale" is expelling smoke out the nostrils, what the hell is inhaling it after expelling it from the mouth?

French inhaling.

I like coffee exceedingly.
    - H. P. Lovecraft
    Posted 3 years ago #
  38. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

39. fmgee

fmgee

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Chris try it with Margate as the olfactory senses really enhance the orientals in this blend.

Posted 3 years ago #
  40. tarheel1

tarheel1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As is said earlier and as singembers said it is french inhale.

Posted 3 years ago #
  41. shikano53

shikano53

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Scott, I always do. You're correct. It really does enhance.

Posted 3 years ago #
  42. tobyducote

NOLA Cajun

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Why do you want to do that anyway?

Posted 3 years ago #
  43. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is the part I am interested in:

Re: French inhaling-

And is such a good practice? A waste of time? Only good for x type of mixtures? A joy? Work of Satan? Socially unacceptable? Irretrievably cool? Hipster?

Posted 3 years ago #
  44. markthelad

markthelad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If this is just exhaling through your nose, why not call it that? It seems more expressive and descriptive for what is being done. Am I missing something here?

"I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself."
    Johnny Carson
    Posted 3 years ago #
  45. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigpond

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Umm...yeah...Retro is cool. Noses aren't cool.

Re: French inhaling-

It's not for dudes.

Posted 3 years ago #
  46. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

OK, I recall some old time movie star—Garbo or someone of her era— French inhaling and it was sexy as hell. Does that make it "not for dudes", or is there some other reason you think its effeminate?

Posted 3 years ago #
  47. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I suspect that someone saw it in a movie or some such and the name stuck. And, it sounds sooooo much more exotic than; "suck it it and blow it out your nose!"

Posted 3 years ago #
  48. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

You can only tast 4 things with your tongue Aweet, salty, sour, and bitter.

Make it 5 mate, your forgot umami.

Thank you. Confusion reigned for a few minutes there. I hate getting old, but the alternative is even less attractive.

Warren, when I started commenting on this forum a month ago, I hated you. Now you are my hero

Retrohale: Smoking into mouth, exhaling through nose.
    French inhale: Releasing smoke from mouth and instantly smoking into nose.
    Ghost inhale: Releasing the whole smoke from mouth in an instant move and smoking it into mouth again.

Javan
    Posted 3 years ago #
  49. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

I also smoke cigarettes from time to time and it is not difficult for a cigarette smoker to exhale through nose. However I find retrohaling very difficult while smoking a pipe. By difficult I mean if you try to exhale all the smoke through your nose, you will feel the pain and I think it is not healthy as it may damage capillaries and cause small bleeding. What I do is sucking the smoke to the mouth, releasing a little bit through mouth and releasing the left smoke through nose. You may taste tobacco better and feel small nuances which is almost impossible to feel why smoking through mouth only. However I do this only once or twice during one bowl smoke. That is enough for me to taste the tobacco, then I just enjoy my pipe with my mouth only

Posted 3 years ago #
  50. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigpond

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

OK, I recall some old time movie star—Garbo or someone of her era— French inhaling and it was sexy as hell. Does that make it "not for dudes", or is there some other reason you think its effeminate?

She rocked the hell out of a skirt and pumps too I'm not sure you could pull that off either ol' boy.

Posted 3 years ago #
  51. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It can help to press your tongue gently against the roof of your mouth on the exhale.

It definitely makes it easier to learn how to do if you push up with your tongue at the same time as you exhale through your nose forcing the smoke into your sinuses.

"These are ghosts that are more at home in a girdle-filled drawer than one of my pipes." Quote by Neil Archer Roan on lakeland ghosts
    Posted 3 years ago #
  52. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think some guys just have a problem with this. If you can't do it without a pipe, you're probably not going to do it any easier with a pipe. I tried and tried to show a mouth-breather how to do this at the B&M one day. Some guys just don't have the natural reflexes to breath exclusively through their noses throughout the day, and when it comes to exhaling out their noses while by-passing the lungs is just impossible.
    Mouth-breathers, are people who just always breath through their mouths, without being able to just reflexively use their noses. I am not sure why this issue exists, but people like Nicholas Cage are mouth-breathers. Watch him closely in his movies. He never closes his mouth for an extended period of time (giving him a slack-jawed look, or hangdog expression), and it also gives him a unique voice. But, ultimately, they drive me nuts, because you can hear them breath. Yeh, little things like people breathing gets on my nerves, ha ha.

But, when showing a guy how to push the smoke out of his mouth through his nose... he just never got it. I attribute this unscientific bit of data sampling to him being a mouth-breather. My next unscientific bit of exploration will be in the realm of oral pleasures. Do mouth-breather chicks... eh, I don't want to reveal the happy ending. Stay tuned.

Michael
    Posted 3 years ago #
  53. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I thought retro was pushing the smoke out the mouth and sucking it back through the nose.

Like the famous "French" style of smoking cigarettes... that's what I thought too.

My advice to people on such techniques is that before going to extremes, make sure you've gotten everything out of the usual method. You may be able to improve the quality of your method and get more out of it.

Posted 3 years ago #
  54. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I thought retro was pushing the smoke out the mouth and sucking it back through the nose.

Like the famous "French" style of smoking cigarettes... that's what I thought too.

My advice to people on such techniques is that before going to extremes, make sure you've gotten everything out of the usual method. You may be able to improve the quality of your method and get more out of it.

Posted 3 years ago #
  55. shikano53

shikano53

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for all the comments. It works great.

Posted 3 years ago #
  56. phred

phred

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mouth-breathers, are people who just always breath through their mouths, without being able to just reflexively use their noses. I am not sure why this issue exists,

Not everyone has wide-open nasal passages. Adenoids, turbinates, even oversized tonsils can get in the way of using one's nose to breathe. And don't get me started on seasonal allergies... I had a cleft palate at birth, and the reconstruction resulted in a restricted nasal airway as there wasn't as much material in the roof of my mouth (which in turn forms the floor of the nasal cavity). Later reconstruction (including moving my entire upper jaw forward) eased this up somewhat, but by then the reflexive use of my mouth to breathe had become habitual - especially in the springtime.

That said, I also played clarinet and bass clarinet during my school years, and learned how to adapt. I never quite figured out circular breathing, but I took to retrohaling when I picked up the pipe with no trouble whatsoever. Not bad for a mouth-breather.:D

"De gustibus non est disputandum."
    Posted 3 years ago #
  57. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As I implied, my study was not exactly scientific. Plus, I may not be the best teacher, ha ha.
    Good for you!

Posted 3 years ago #
  58. oldreddog

oldreddog

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@sablebrush, my apologies sir if my brief post appeared to call into question yours or any other posters knowledge or experience . That was not my intention,
    rather I was attempting to soothe the OP's concerns. My thanks for your extensive and erudite response.

Posted 3 years ago #
  59. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If I can attempt to vindicate my foot in mouth remarks , I ultimately think that one can smoke a pipe a lifetime without rhetrohailing or snorking, or nose blowing, or whatever you want to call it. Everyone has their own ways to enjoy this hobby. Heck, some guys don't even smoke their pipes, and some people only smoke about six times a year. So really, no one can tell you that you have to do this or have to do that, as there are no rules in this game.
    But, if you want to learn to get more taste out of this hobby, then there has been a lot of great suggestions in this thread. But, don't fret over it. It's not like there isn't anything else about this hobby that you can fixate on for enjoyment.

Does that help?

Posted 3 years ago #
  60. okiescout

okiescout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My apologies, I thought retro was pushing the smoke out the mouth and sucking it back through the nose.

Ditto! Me too.

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years. Pray as if you were to die tomorrow."
    Benjamin Franklin
    Posted 3 years ago #
  61. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, now that we've been corrected on the terminology, I want to know why bigpond thinks snorking, or French inhaling if you will, is sissified. (Other than the name, "French inhaling"- that does does effete.) I don't do it often- not that there's anything wrong with that!

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   americaman, jaytex969