Ready at last to move out of aromatics. But where to start?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I've smoked a pipe off and on for more than 30 years, and recently came back to pastime in a big way. I'm foregoing cigars to large extent and really enjoying reclaiming my pipe collection. My typical smoke is whatever the tobacco shop house blend may be, usually a mix of cased cavendish and burly, the sort of "Old Glory" or "Black and Gold" aromatic standby. (Although finding a shop that SELLS pipe tobacco is getting more and more difficult.)
I'd like to move into English blends, but am a bit overwhelmed deciding where to start. For reference, in cigars, which are abundant and excellent here, I smoke very robust items -- sun-grown Arturo Fuente maduros, LGC Serie R, Perdomo Habano maduros, that sort of thing. I'm looking for flavor, not nicotine. I smoke perhaps one bowl on a weekday evening, and maybe 3 - 5 bowls a day on the weekend.
I'd like to order 3 or 4 small tins and see what suits. So . . . what do you fellows recommend?
(And if you know anyone online who's shipping free samples, that's a link I'd like.)

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Since you've been comfortable with aromatics, I'd suggest looking at the Middle Earth offerings at Just For Him. Shortcut to Mushrooms is a marvelous introduction to latakia in an aromatic...it is the first "latakia blend" that I enjoyed and my appetite for english and balkans has expanded since then.... :puffy:

jayh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2010
I second 5110, its incredible how much flavor it has, while not being overwhelming either in nicotine or body.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
For reference, in cigars, which are abundant and excellent here, I smoke very robust items -- sun-grown Arturo Fuente maduros, LGC Serie R, Perdomo Habano maduros, that sort of thing. I'm looking for flavor, not nicotine.

GLPease Cumberland and Maltese Falcon may be good directions for you, based on what you like in sticks. Pease's use of Kentucky is the best I've tasted, he truly has a deft hand with it.

nabottle

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2011
If you like Robust cigars, I have a few suggestions:

1. Gawith & Hoggarth Sweet Maple Twist

2. Gawith & Hoggarth Black Irish X

3. Peterson 3 P's

I also like robust cigars, like LGC Serie R Maduro, Joya de Nicaragua Antano, Padron Natural and Maduro. So far, these 3 have come somewhat close to a cigar flavor. Not exact, but the closest I have been able to find. The G&H are twists and the Peterson is a plug, so you'll have to spend a little time getting the tocacco ready for the pipe. Hell, I think it's kind of fun. Good luck in your search.
Shannon in FL

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Outstanding, guys. I will have a nice order to place.
who is this Frog Morton fellow -- he has a lot of tobacco named after him it seems.

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
I second the Just For Him (JFH) Middle Earth Selections - the crossover quality of all the Latakia blends are outstanding - Short Cut To Mushrooms & Ruins of Isengard. I am even enjoying a blend called JFH Black Magic Woman - not a Middle Earth Selection - but very yummy - all black - has a hint of raspberry that works very well.
Interestingly enough, Latakia does do well with aromatics - another case in point is Uhle's Raider's Blend which is a Cherry Blend with Latakia - that is the bomb.
If you like cigars try Cornell & Diehl Billy Budd or Hearth and Home Stogie. They are easy on your pocket book and tasty too.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
I agree with Uncle on the McClelland 5110 and their Nine to Five is also pretty good. Johnny's suggestion of Just For Him's Middle Earth offerings is very good and in some cases taste better then many aromatics. Boswell's Northwoods is a good one to start with as is Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe. :puffy:

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Oh my. I can see I'm going to have enough small tins of tobacco to build a castle. Fun.
Of course Frogmorton is a town in the Shire. Probably means it has been too long since I read my JRRT.

Status
Not open for further replies.