PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
During the dry winter months, I find it more important than ever to transfer freshly opened tins to mason jars right away. That being said, if I finish off a tobacco that was in a jar, and crack a new tin, can I store the new tin in the used mason jar without a thorough cleaning?
Keep in mind, this is not long term storage, and the tobaccos, though different, are similar in contents; VA/OR.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
I do it all the time, as long as the blends jarred are similar. You might get some cross contamination. What sort of deep cleaning for the jars are you envisioning? I usually run some boiling water in the jar, pay a little more attention to the lid and the seal, and let it air dry overnight. If I'm planning to jar a subtle note VA in the jar that held a Lat bomb, I make the jar take a trip in the dishwasher .....

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Neil:
I don't mess with changing from one Lat blend to another Lat blend. Still, every jar gets a new lid. (They sell cheap in ten packs.) if I'm going from a Lat blend to a VA then the the jar gets a deep bath in the dishwasher plus a new lid.
Fnord

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I always wash mine first, for the simple reason that I may not be re-using it right away, and I don't know what will go in there when.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Well, I think I might give the jar a quick rinse at least. This is a 6 year old Grand Oriental Classic Samsun bt McClelland and I shouldn't mess around with possible cross contamination.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I appreciate the assistance.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
If you're looking to move tobacco for long term storage a new lid is a must and very cheap. Never use soap or put it in the dishwasher, an unwanted film will remain.
You'll get oil residue from prior tobacco. If its a jar that's remained open for even a short period of time, even a few days, mold spores will become present. A wipe with 91% Isopropyl alcohol will remove any residue and unwanted mold.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Dragonslayer, I have a dishwasher which has a sterilize rinse cycle. I would assume this would be acceptable to clean mason jars?

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
The main goal is to clean out any remaining tobacco oils and any unwanted spores. No reason to take a chance of having anything else done. If you want to run it through the dishwasher I'd still wipe it out with the alcohol before jarring to make sure it's clean of any film. You are getting ready to put your wonderful tobacco away for years... Keep it safe, keep it hidden lols. Fresh jars are the best and there ready to go with no cleaning needed. In fact you don't want to do anything to them other than open, fill them with a little press depending on the cut, leaving 1/2" at the top to make sure you have enough oxygen present to start the ageing cycle. TONS written about that in threads.
Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.