PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I realized the other day that re-reading my own posts, not necessarily the ones where I initiate the thread, but the responses I give to others, is eye opening. Sometimes, I end up holding my head in shame, like the post from the guy who clearly states that he has been smoking pipes for years (although he's a new member here) and I recite my whole tape about not buying too much of any blend at first, as his tastes will change. I guess my mind wandered reading other responses before I wrote mine. Other times, it's like someone else is writing in my name, and I think, hey, this guy's really smart, those are great points ... oops, it's ME. It's a roller coaster. Ups and downs for sure. Anyone else have this experience? Now I'm trying to remember my good posts and forget and deny the bad ones.

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
Maybe we should petition Kevin to modify members' post counts into two different categories: value-added posts in green and worthless posts in grey or red.
Kidding of course, it would be impossible to implement. It would be a fun metric to look at though, if it were possible.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I learn from my poor responses when I can. My poor posts are usually the result of not reading and understanding the OP. I sometimes get in too much of a hurry. In my defense: Some OPs really are hard to grasp though.
edit: I am also guilty of sometimes not reading a long thread fully and repeating earlier responses or, worse, I jump in late and do not realize a thread has gone off the tracks and my response only makes it worse.

Aug 1, 2012
I have made many an idiotic post. Alcohol may or may not have been involved depending on the severity of the stupidity.
Anyway, anybody who has been on a forum for any significant length of time will realize that they have posted something less than smart/insightful. Such is the life of a person. What I did in my 20s makes me cringe and I'm sure I'm making similar mistakes in my 30s.
Carry on as you were. Your posts have been as good as any others...if not a bit better.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Out of 9500 or so posts, I have never once given bad advice. My posts are considered the be all and end all when it comes to imparting wisdom.
mso, sorry you feel some of your posts are inconsequential, maybe you should read my 9500 so you can get a clue. It should only take a year or two.

Yep! I find that sometimes the "tone" of what I type comes across the exact opposite of what I intend, but I rarely do I worry about it. Those that know me from my history of posting will know what I am trying to convey, some will come to know me well enough (maybe), and some are going to get bent out of shape no matter what "tone" they read me as. And, rarely I do mean to sound pissy, ha ha. In all accounts, this place is for folks that share in this pastime, which is supposed to be fun relaxing and enjoyable, and if someone is going to take a post so serious that they lose their tempers, then it's all on them. Maybe they are too sensitive to participate, maybe they've got issues beyond our control, or some people just aint right.
and, yeh, sometimes I post before fully realizing where the poster is coming from. I do try to apologize when it's needed. But, you know, this is all in fun. There should be absolutely nothing that we say that is going to ruin what (how, why, or why not) each individual is enjoying their own pipe within the sanctity of their own face. There's no rules in smoking, and with humor, fun, experimentation, relaxation, information, we learn, teach, explore, and just more fully enjoy what we are doing within this brotherhood here on this forum...
So, I suggest to just not worry about it. Everyone looks a little stupid (or silly) from time to time, and some of us more than others. So what. The forum is here to enhance or experience.

MSO, you just keep on, keeping on. I enjoy your posts very much.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I agree with Cosmic. MSO, in the balance, you're far more on the "good" side than the "the usual idiotic stuff on the internet" side.
Another way to look at this: every great writer needs a great editor. When you edit your stuff, you find a lot of half-complete thoughts. Then you smooth those out, and things turn out for the better.
With that thought (mostly) complete, I turn back to that noble task...

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
MSO - You are always thoughtful, gentle and articulate. I see you go out of your way to be informative and supportive to new and established members alike. At your worst, you are polite, instructive and gentlemanly. In my opinion, you are the paragon of how one should conduct themselves in an online forum. The fact you are concerned about past behavior speaks volumes about your good character. Do not fret good sir. I would need solid proof that you do not poop sunshine.

Mar 1, 2014
I've had most of the same experiences. It's nothing to do with seniority, that or I'm going senile in my 30's.
I will add that roughly half of what I write usually gets deleted before I hit the post button (third edit: for example, in this post the first thing I wrote was "Today my sunshine was thiiiis big!").
And I normally do at least one edit after I post. Sometimes many more.
Fifth edit (sixth edit for grammar): It actually took a while to adjust to using this forum, not letting me edit over and over for an hour after posting. But it's nice because here you're forced to make your words count.

Status
Not open for further replies.