PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

biosharkdev

Lurker
Jun 6, 2018
Hi guys,
I am storing my tobacco from opened tins in jars, but I am sure they are not 100% air tight (even though it does have a rubber seal):
ikea-365-food-container-with-lid-square-glass-bamboo__0594411_pe675728_s5.jpg

I've got an almost full tin of Peterson Old Dublin that has definitely dried out. I am trying to revitalize it by adding, into my the jar, my old cigar humidifier with some distilled water in it.

Any idea if this is a good plan?
P.S. I know I change the jar to something better...

biosharkdev

Lurker
Jun 6, 2018
Thanks Michael.
I am about to smoke a bowl right now, so I'll let you know later how it tastes. However I am sure it's dried out. The tobacco crumbles between my fingers when I squeeze it. It's been in that jar since last summer...

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
That looks like a temporary food storage item for the refrigerator. Not an airtight jar at all.
And, yeah, smoke it as it is to try it out. You can also put it in a Mason or Ball jar with very fresh tobacco- in a few days, the moisture will equilize.

johnbrody15

Lurker
Feb 16, 2019
I've tried this a few times -- I'll put the tobacco in a bowl, put a wet paper towel (distilled water) over the bowl and rubber band it down, (make sure the towel isn't dripping) so it's tight like a drum. Then I'll shake the bowl, leave it for an hour.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I smoke all of my tobacco with some humidity in it. For my tastes when tobacco gets too dry it smokes hot and it loses flavor.
You want to use Ball jars with screw on lids. They will keep tobacco fresh for decades. The couple of times I had to re hydrate tobacco I used a mixing bowl and put a damp kitchen towel over it for a day or so and the tobacco was plenty moist. Make sure you don't let the towel touch the tobacco.

biosharkdev

Lurker
Jun 6, 2018
Well, I've smoked a bowl. It was a great experience, just like I remembered. I've got a bit of tongue bite at the beginning but it faded out quickly. Love this English (or better said Latakia bases) mixture.
Taking into account that it will be a while until I'll smoke this blends again (it's not for indoor smoking, so I'll wait for the real spring to come along) I'll leave my humidifier in the "jar" for a few hours.
And yes, I'm going to change my jars. But I live in Germany (not a native though) so Mason or Ball jar doesn't tell this people anything. I have to look for something suitable.
Thank you all for your input.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
Walmart and kogers should carry them, I think its 10-14 bucks per 12 pack of Mason jars

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
Walmart was present in Germany, until about a decade ago. They were driven out of business by the local Stan, Kyle, Eric and Kenny.

biosharkdev

Lurker
Jun 6, 2018
I've just ordered a 6 pack of Ball Mason Jar 8oz from Amazon. Hopefully they are better than what I have.
I've assumed an 8oz jar is enough for a 50g tin tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.