Re-introduction and My Pipes (Pic and Descrip Heavy)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
2 Fresh Former Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
Hey guys, some of you may remember me, others may not. I didn't post much, if anything but an introduction, and decided that I didn't want to become a forum member with no face. I only had internet on my phone at the time and was unable to post pictures, and I really didn't have too many questions to ask.
So, internet is up, avatar is loaded, and with no further ado: My Pipes.
Photoon2012-09-23at11192_zpse3268cbc.jpg

Dr. Grabow, not sure of which shape, but I do know I don't like it. Too small and dainty for my tastes.
Photoon2012-09-23at1119_zpsa73ed913.jpg

Eriksin, made in Denmark. My first branded pipe, bought from my local tobacconist for $40.
Photoon2012-09-23at11183_zps82899a55.jpg

Dr. Grabow Omega. My first real briar pipe. My first pipe was a... uhm... shoot, one of those hardwood missouri meerschaums... I want to say Ozark something... I don't know. I smoked blackberry flavored rolling tobacco out of it. It was not the best, granted, but now when I smell it it takes me back to my first steps into pipe smoking.
Photoon2012-09-23at11182_zps51b833bc.jpg

I went and picked up this Calabresi billiard from a local smoke shop that sells basket pipes. I really wanted a billiard for flake smoking, and this was just awesome. Again, basket pipe.
Photoon2012-09-23at1118_zps56b38ccf.jpg

Another Calabresi basket pipe. I don't know why I bought it, I bought it at the same time I bought the calabresi billiard. I told my self I was only buying one pipe but when I saw the Oom Paul I just had to have it. Not that I like that shape, because I don't, but it looked like it would smoke flakes wonderfully. It does.
Photoon2012-09-23at1117_zpsf7178131.jpg

First calabresi basket pipe. I don't know what it is about that smoke shop, but they had quite a few calabresi baskets. I thought this was good looking and it had a big bowl, so there you go. I smoke English blends out of this. Well, I will. So for the only English's I've had are PS EOS and Butera's Latakia #1
Photoon2012-09-23at11162_zpsa1cb698d.jpg

Dr. Grabow free hand my girlfriend bought me. Had a big bowl, I wanted it. I've only smoked 1Q out of it. I feel like it might smoke Englishes well, but I would like to clean it first, and haven't gotten around to it.
Photoon2012-09-23at1116_zps82ae8c3b.jpg

First basket pipe. At the time I was looking at a lot of Savinellis and Stanwells that produce shapes similar to this, so when I saw it I grabbed it. I went on a Latakia #1 smoking spree with this pipe and intend to do the same thing in the next few days. (I have roughly 10 tins coming to me from pipesandcigars.com. Not just Latakia #1, but it was included. )
Photoon2012-09-23at11142_zps0eb05e98.jpg

The pipe that made me want to pipe smoke. I remember being very young, younger than ten years old, and finding this lying in the bottom of my mom's sock drawer. This is, was, my Grandpa's pipe. My mom's dad. He passed when I was about three years old, so I never got to know him. You guys I'm sure will understand. It's beat up, it's broke, got a cracked shank it does. Maybe you can see that it's taped, so I do smoke it once in a while. I would like to have it restored. I've smoked EOS in it and it's my best pipe for that tobacco.
Photoon2012-09-23at1113_zps3b46af56.jpg

Just bought this last night! I have a couple of the regular no non-sense clear stemmed corncob pipes, but I saw this when I went to buy my girly cigarettes. DAMN! It smokes so good. Mac Baren Navy Flake... the third tobacco I've smoked, and smoke on a regular basis. I bought a pound from my tobacconist a couple weeks ago. I asked if he'd be willing to cut me a deal if I bought that much and he said yes. Very cool dude. So I bought from him instead of ordering on-line.
Well, there you have it. My pipes, and a little story to go along with each.
[Edit]
As I made my self a cup of coffee, I remembered that I've smoked more than three certifiably legit pipe tobaccos. And they are:

Mac Baren Navy Flake (bulk)

Peter Stokkebye English Oriental Supreme (bulk)

Butera Latakia #1 (much better than EOS IMHO. EOS seems to turn ashy towards the middle of the bowl, regardless of the size.)

Peterson 3P's =) and

Peterson University Flake (First flake tobacco, and I really like it.)
If you made it to the end of this book, I thank you. I really love pipe smoking, and I guess it turns out I like to write too, because I find it hard to stop once I start.
PS. Please call me Jerod, as that is my name.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Good to know you Jerod - that's a great assortment of pipes - a nice wide variety and good stories to go along with too. :puffy:

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
Thanks for your responses fellas, means a lot. I've been coming to the forums, and reading the articles almost everyday for a while now. I don't know why it took me so long to do this.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Nice collection. Welcome to the forums. Your girl got you a pipe, that's great. I've been engaged for three years now and have yet to receive a pipe. I did receive two tins last Christmas from my girl. Maybe now that I have a wish list a mile long on smokingpipes.com my girl will get the hint lol. Sounds like you're starting out with some good blends. I enjoyed Peterson's UF and Mac Baren's Navy Flake. Definitely reccommend Samuel Gawith's Full Virginia Flake if you can get your hands on it. Great VA flake.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
Lord of the Pipe Rings, I have definitely heard the buzz concerning FVF, and wanted to order some with my first on-line order, however it was out of stock as usual.
I think though, that it would be best for me to have tried a few more Virginia Flakes before I smoke, what is quite arguably, the most popular virginia flake on the market. I
The Virginia based blends I have coming to me are as follows:
McClellend Blackwoods Flake

Davidoff Flake Medallions

Dunhill Flake

Sam Gawith's Navy Flake

University Flake and

Seattle Pipe Clubs Mississippi River. Please correct me if this and Sam Gawiths Navy flake would fall under the English category. I guess I'll have to smoke them to find out if they fall in my categorization of English tobaccos.

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
Hi Jerod. Please don't stop writing books. That was a very agreeable read for a lazy Sunday evening.
Particularly like your grandad's pipe.

crk69

Jun 30, 2012
Welcome, looking forward to seeing more posts from you, especially if you get your grandfathers pipe repaired...

shawn

Jan 1, 2012
Great collection you have my friend! Here's wishing you enjoyment with them all.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
Again everybody, thank you so much for the encouraging words.
A quick note about my grandpas pipe. It says Trapwell on the shank, well, it says Trapw... I had to figure the rest out on my own. I suppose the story is that Trapwells eventually became Dr. Grabow's. If anyone knows the full story please tell us.
And Thank you to Rothnh, I'll most likely be contacting Bob in the coming weeks and will hopefully post pictures when all is said and done.

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
^This makes me sad.
For some reason I just kinda like the idea of a dude smoking his Grandad's pipe all fixed up with tape and stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.