PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I'm not actually a new member, but I went away for a while, so I am re-introducing myself. My name is Dan, I live in the Bay Area, and I'm still a relative noob when it comes to pipe smoking. I originally started smoking a pipe back in late 2015 or so. I'd been a cigar smoker since 2006 or so, but back in 2015, I picked up the pipe. Spent about 18 months or so getting in deep. Then, I went back into cigars. I went through a phase where I was buying a new box of Cuban or Nicaraguan cigars every week or so, and the pipe got neglected. Fast forward to today, and I'm between jobs. My cigar stock is rapidly dwindling, and I don't have the money to re-stock. Decided to pick up the pipe again and I've remembered why I enjoyed it so much back when I first got started. I tend to smoke many different types of tobaccos. I don't really smoke aromatics, but I'm not anti-aro or anything. Just haven't had many I've enjoyed enough to smoke regularly.
I have really learned a lot from the members here, who are so generous with their knowledge and experience.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
dan', welcome aboard again. I like a "good" cigar, but much prefer a pipe. The cost is lower, but the experience for me is more rewarding.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Welcome back. I came from the cigar world as well. Nice to be able to buy a years worth of various pipe tobaccos for the same price of a box of good sticks.
I rarely ever smoke cigars anymore (2 a year maybe), however when I do, I enjoy them alot more than I did when they were all I smoked. After getting used to pipe tobacco, smoking a nice cigar is like eating an entire chocolate cake. The flavor is intense and wonderful, and it is just an exorbitant experience. The one downside is that now that I'm not used to it, if its a strong cigar the nicotine rush is like getting kicked in the dick.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
kicked in the dick
Ah, the new stoved, quadruple burley twist from the C&D/Gawith collaboration... :clap:
jay-roger.jpg

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Welcome aboard again! I used to love cigars. But, I had one a few months ago and realized how much more I enjoy pipe tobacco. In fact, I really didn't like it all that much. Hands down, I love the pipe over the cigar experience.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I rarely ever smoke cigars anymore (2 a year maybe), however when I do, I enjoy them alot more than I did when they were all I smoked. After getting used to pipe tobacco, smoking a nice cigar is like eating an entire chocolate cake
It's funny you mention that. Part of what got me back so deep into cigars back in late 2016 was a Hoyo De Monterrey Epicure Especial. After 18 months of smoking so much pipe tobacco, including a lot of Latakia-heavy blends, I was just stunned by how rich, creamy and sweet that cigar was. Lately, I've noticed my palate hasn't been getting as much sweetness from cigars, so I'm hoping the pipe will re-set things for the cigars to stand out again. Already I've noticed that I catch and appreciate more subtlety in pipe blends than I did back before my break.
Thanks for all the kind words, guys!

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Welcome back, Dan!
I smoke a few cigars every week, and I still enjoy them, but I've come to prefer the pipe because there's such a huge variety and range of flavors available. I don't think I'd smoke cigars all day even if I could afford to - it would get monotonous. Still won't catch me passing up a good stogie, though. Or a bad one, for that matter, if I'm in the mood.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
It's good to see you back in the forums. It seems like most of the really astute pipe tobacco connoisseurs have come from the cigar world. Looking forward to reading your opinions and reactions.

taildraggin

Might Stick Around
May 25, 2019
I go back and forth, but like the variety of flavors and duration of pipes. There also the pungent, raw, hands-on appeal.
Most of my buddies are cigar smokers - bought one a pipe yesterday and a tin of Capstan (mistake, too weak) to try and get him started.

Status
Not open for further replies.