PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dulie76

Lurker
Jan 29, 2017
Hey guys, just looking for some input on getting some moisture back into my Great grandfathers last tin of tobacco.He had a couple of bowls from it and its been sealed since. I've not hydrated something with this kind of age so looking for opinions. Thanks.
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
It's very easy. Be careful that it doesn't turn to dust before dehydrating it.
Add a few drops of distilled water to the baccy. Seal it for a few days. Check moisture. If needed add a few more drops. Time is your friend. Being impatient is your enemy.
Do not shake the baccy and water combo. The moisture will permeate everything. Just be patient.
I've done this many times. It works. I've even rehydrated my late grandfather's old baccy and enjoyed a smoke with "him".

Reactions: A. Nordskog

dulie76

Lurker
Jan 29, 2017
So I ended up putting a small amount of humidity beads in a Ziploc freezer bag, placed some tobacco in a container And placed it in the Ziploc. I've never had The Balkan Sobranie before. I've heard so many pros and cons that I didnt bother cause everyone compared it to "the old stuff." Wow. What an interesting pipe I had. The Yenidje has a nice sweetness. The flavours developed well as it warmed. I did find it a bit oily, but I didnt have an issue with it. Didn't have to relight at all and it turned to white ash as it went down.Since it was my Great-Grandfathers tobacco, I figured I'd use one of his pipes with it. His Kirsten "K". Overall, I'm glad I did it. Now I'll have to get a new tin and compare the two. Almost a 50 year old tobacco. Absolutely loved doing this. Thanks for your input guys. Ill post some pics when I figure put how to do it properly. Cheers!

skaukatt

Can't Leave
I used to but don't any longer, add distilled water directly on tobacco, it works but for my own purposes, I much prefer the GL Pease method of placing the dried tobacco in a bowl and covering it with a dampened with distilled water towel and leaving it for a few hours before checking on it. I've left it overnight on some. Once you check it you try determine how long you will need to leave it as is and whether you will need to re-moisten the towel.
This works perfectly every time.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The couple of times I had to rehydrate something I used the bowl with the damp towel over the top method. I believe it is a more subtle way to add humidity and is easier to control than adding water directly.

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
I use Boveda packets to rehydrate tobacco. I have a 72% humidity Boveda with my small stash of 60 year old BS, in a Ziploc bag, in the original tin. Works for me.

badger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2016
Glad it worked out. It's amazing that an unsealed tin that old could give a good smoke. Congrats!

dulie76

Lurker
Jan 29, 2017
Thanks for the input guys. Badger,I was surprised. It was quite unique to me. I wasn't expecting the flavours I got. I really wasn't expecting anything cause I figured it would be too far gone. I'll do it again in another 47-50 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.