PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
bought some of those re-hydrating silver disks - immerse in water( distilled ) then place in jar with dry tobacco.

when i immerse the disks in water to reuse ! the disks bubbles come out of them as they absorb the water - expected. but when i apply pressure on the surface of each some emit a smoky looking mist which is likely the material in the disk that absorbed the water - these disks are supposed to be reuseable - - if you have any or buy some & try it press on these disks when they are still in the water - - doesnt sound right or healthy even though they are just sitting in the jar of tobacco
WEIRD !!??

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
i know they work but what is that gas they are emitting ?
they dont emit the gas on the first usage only when being reused.

right - so i can dispose of them but @ $4 each in canada that can be pricey -

almost the cost of a 2oz tin of tobacco in usa.
just interesting ...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
but when i apply pressure on the surface of each some emit a smoky looking mist which is likely the material in the disk that absorbed the water
I always just rehydrate tobacco by blowing warm air through a packed pipe, but I'm going to have to buy some just to try this.

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
I got curious once and drank the distilled water that I'd soaked a couple of humidity disk in, after they'd already made their rounds in a few tobacco blends. ... Stupidity seems to be the better bet for health related issues in my life.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Buying disks is a waste, when you or you neighbor have some pottery shards lying around. Just soak in tap water (I know learned folk have specified distilled water, but so what) and place in jar or pouch. Any question about the life of the shard when it was a terra-cotta pot can be shed by boiling it once. That's if you want to be cautious.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Jeffrey Deal hmmm ... you sound like on of them 19th century doctors trying to find a cure for a very destructive disease, by testing the antidote on themselves, after inoculating the disease.
I have those disks, they are pretty good, with no health hazards as far as I can tell. During the hot summer though they may not be enough to stop tobacco from drying out. I had this problem the previous summer, which was above average hot and dry.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hell, yeah, and it doesn't have to be distilled. Wonder where that notion started?
Madox- I used to live in a place where Summer humidity dropped to below 30%, and never had a problem with my tobacco drying out. Mason/Ball/Kerr jars do the trick.

wasnsfisher

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 28, 2017
Wow good reading but way too tech. Seriously now Guys, come on. Tape a Q-tip to the inside of your tub cover. Put a few drops of tap water on the ends. I have 12 an 14 oz tubs on the go here for years now and a few drops of water once in awhile turns the trick.

skaukatt

Can't Leave
I have never squeezed the discs to see the emission of this gas. It could be the excess of dried material of the disc washing off (?). I have used them but no longer need to as my tobacco storage and re-hydration techniques make them unnecessary.
When you encounter a tobacco that needs re-humidification use the damp towel over the tobacco filled bowl technique. G.L. Pease explains it on his website/blog, just Google it. When the moisture level reaches the level you desire, place the tobacco in a mason jar/ball jar of appropriate size and you will never need to worry about it again. Yes, these jars are not a sexy as humidors, etc... but they work for the long, long haul.
Also, another tip to combat dried tobacco, I never leave tobacco in any tin I open. It goes right into a mason jar; yes, not as aesthetically appealing but I'd rather not smoke tinder.
Try this at home!

orobusto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2015
New York
I would use distilled water also if it is for a long term storage situation. I've had humidity cartridges and humidity beads in my cigar humidor get mold using tap and/or spring water.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You cannot be sure the mold was a result of crap water from your tap.- unless the water was otherwise known to be contaminated. Too many other variables, including the level of moisture over all.
One of the drawbacks of the disks is potential growth of mold between the filler and the metal covering. With terra cotta it's all in the open.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
I got some from SPC out of sheer curiosity. Meh, didn’t impress me.

I like my tobacco drier than most so I find I rarely need to moisturize my blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.