Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 3, 2015
Hi, all! Newer pipe smoker and first-time poster looking for the type/style/design/make/brand/etc. of pipe smoked by Robert Downey Jr. in "Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows." Here is a clip of the scene containing that pipe: Sherlock's Pipe in Train Scene. In case the link doesn't work, here's the URL: https://youtu.be/-_L5f6EhJT8. The pipe can be seen at about 20 seconds into the clip.
Thanks for the help.
Regards.

P

pipebuddy

Welcome to the forums.
Hmmm, it's an odd one. I know there are mentions, in the novels, that Holmes smoked a black coloured clay pipe. That one is black but I am not sure if it's clay - I would expect it to be longer if it was made with clay.

Aug 3, 2015
@disinformatique and @pipebuddy, thanks for the input. It's such a unique design. I have a couple of larger/average size pipes, so I like the alternative, compact design, even if only for decoration in my collection. Think searching for an opium pipe will raise any red flags? :)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If you're at all concerned about authenticity, I'd ignore most everything in the movie.... But good luck!
Has the calabash been established as Holmes' pipe, or has that been disproved?

May 4, 2015
Nothing about Calabash mentioned in the literature. That was specific to a particular actors portrayal, so he could perform the dialogue while clenching is what I understand.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
In the first movie he smokes what looks like a Grabow Starfire zulu with what looks like a vulcanite stem with a wide bit. Not period correct at all.
In this clip, it seems like they are striving for something more historically accurate looking. As in old. But it looks more like an opium pipe to me. I doubt Holmes would smoke something like that. The books mention a well smoked (hence the description as black) clay pipe. He also smokes cigars and Egyptian cigarettes. I'd imagine he'd otherwise use period English brand pipes.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Pretty certain that was a butplugg stem attached to a thimble bowl painted black and attached with crazy glue. I would say Downie should be ashamed for taking part in a something like that but...well, you know...

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I believe in the 1st Film the pipe Robert Downing Jr. smokes is a small curved stemmed Dublin.

Jul 21, 2015
I would argue that pipe is even wood.
Ive seen many many pipes of this status and they are all metal. turned on lathes and used for pot. go to a head shop, you can probably find the exact piece.

calabashed

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2015
Regarding his briar in the short stories, I'm currently in the process of reading the whole cannon. Up to the "Last Bow" collection of stories now and so far there's been nothing more specific than "his old briar root pipe". There's also his grubby black clay and a mention of a long stemmed rosewood pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.