PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I have seen it many, many times, the raving about this baccy. I have not tried it but have read the reviews on Tobacco Reviews. Can someone here, please make the comparison for me between this baccy and, let's say Capt. Black White and or MacBaren's Original Choice. It seems, from reviews, that these 3 Baccys have a similiar note. I would be interested in a comparison from someone who perhaps tried all 3 blends.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Dont forget Zander Greg Z-100,Seven Seas Regular and Boswells Best . I too was lured in by the hype and just had to try it . Lots of folks like these blends and make them thier all day smoke . Well worth a try if you have not had it .

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
I am told that Captain Black White IS 1Q, with the usual drug store additives. Both are Lane Ltd. products.
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-tobacco-reviews/captain-black-pipe-tobacco-review/#more-3374

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I've been smoking 1Q since the day I bought my first pipe.

A lot of people say that CBW is similar to 1Q... Not to me.

CBW to me has a lot more casing.

As for the McBaren... I thought it was closer to CBW than 1Q.
As for the note... I get more favorable reactions to 1Q than either CBW or McBaren.

YMMV

Just my humble opinion.

For me a big difference.

1Q for me every time over the others.

:puffy:

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I have not smoked CB in decades but I agree with Lawrence that 1Q is not as heavily cased as CB. I'm not really an aro smoker but 1Q is the biggest selling blend in the USA for a reason. It is not complicated, just sweet enough and does not require a lot of attention. A decent time passer.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
CBW was one of those tobaccos i could taste something metal-like in. It felt thin and left a weird film more then a taste in my mouth. Re-reading that it sounds snobbish, but even if it was $20 bucks a oz I'd say the same thing.
1Q doesn't have the same metal taste to me, but has zero tobacco taste too me. Its like big empty smoke clouds of a muted sweetness. I like it when I need a break and just want to huff and puff.
Just my 2 cents.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I'm not sure what to call 1Q It's not as highly flavored as most aromatics.It doesn't taste like an English blend.I think it's a blend that almost anyone can smoke.It smokes cool without bite.You don't need an expensive pipe to smoke it.I smoke other blends but 1Q is what I smoke the most.It's also less expensive than a lot of other blends.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'd have to say 7 Seas Regular and 1Q aren't very similar. I can't really describe 1Q other than a great smoke. You can bulk order a 2oz sample for about $5. Might be worth a try.

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
Today i had a bowl or 1Q and later, a bowl of boswell's christmas cookie. the christmas cookie has the same sort of aro base to its flavor but with a little more something - perhaps more of a tanginess. it also stayed lit and burned easier. i'm gonna say advantage: boswell.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I've mentioned this before on several occasions I'm sure.... So, please forgive me.
One advantage that 1Q has over many tobaccos is its functionality.

For me, after smoking several different boutique tobaccos the tastes (to me) become harder and harder to discern.

So, I'll smoke 1Q for a week or more, exclusively. Then have a bowl or 10 of the Boutique tobaccos and the flavors will become much more lively and discernible; and thus more enjoyable.

1Q is a good tobacco for that "go to" everyday smoke and works to "reset" the palate, helping me to enjoy the boutiques all the more.

:puffy:

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
1Q is what i give to friends who come over and are not pipe smokers but want to try. most of my friends are cigar smokers which i have plenty of, but i try to get them to try the pipe, and broaden there horizons.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
1-Q is more like CBR than CBW, but to me it's lighter and less goopy. It's a good all-around smoke for the price and I will likely always have some around.

grafikchaos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2012
Chapin, SC
+1 to what Baron and Lawrence have said. Great all-around aromatic. It's not goopy by any stretch, and it doesn't overwhelm the senses. It has good flavor, an excellent room note, and it's not expensive. However, if you don't dig on aromatics for the most part, then you may want to not even bother.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
Lawrence hits it correctly. I've been smoking 1Q for a few weeks now, and it's definitely just an easy going tobacco. Sit back, char it, light it, and the bowl just rolls smooth. A very mild vanilla flavor. Doesn't get hot. Others don't complain about it. And, the best part - it's insanely cheap. I get it at like 2.32 an ounce at my local shop. Plus they do percentage discounts per 2 ounces you buy. CBW kinda makes me a little sick. It's overly sweetened, and just messy. Smells like a chewing gum wrapper. I'm not a big fan of it.

morton

Part of the Furniture Now
May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Hey nsfisher, send me a pm with your mailing address and I'll send you some 1Q. I bought a few ounces one time to see what the fuss was about. I'm in Canada too so shouldn't be too hard to do, eh? I like it ok not being much of an aro guy but others like Lawrence and the good Baron are right, its got a great room note, no one gets up in arms if they smell it and to me, its not bad as a once and awhile tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.