PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Anyone tried this yet? Word on the street was that it was University Flake under a new name but the description mentions a light plum topping.
There are only two reviews on tobaccoreviews.com
Virginia tobaccos, ranging in color from golden to chocolate brown, have been combined with sun-dried Indian leaf and ennobled with a very fine plum aroma.

Beautiful dark flake mottled with lighter elements.
Tin note: plum, but not overly so. May be a casing. If a topping done very lightly.
A flake more in the English tradition (think Capstan, Four Square, perhaps) than in the Danish.
Flavorful, enjoyable, bordering on the stout, it rubs out well, burns slowly and well, providing a good medium (noticeable) dose of nicotine.
No big surprises in flavor. The plum is attractive, not overwhelming, but present. This is a good combination of burley nuttiness and the complexity offered by a balanced blend of Virginias with qualities including depth, sweetness and a touch of tanginess. It doesn't bite.
While it is a very serviceable smoke and a head above many flakes out there, it will probably remain an occasional smoke for this smoker, a welcome change of pace. Nice to see a new flake of this quality appear!
A solid smoke , refreshing and satisfying, this virginia/burley flake is sure to win a following! It's a fine addition to the flakes currently on the market.
Recommended!
Age When Smoked: two weeks (just on the market)

Nice to find a new-ish flake out there. Tin note is hay like and very minute sweetness. The flakes are dense, moist and very dark. I find that the "plum cake" is very faint. This stuff smokes nice and cool in a small chambered pipe. Ash is pale grey. It is mellow and easily French inhaled and is subtle in its sweetness. A beautiful flake definitely worth a try.
Pipe Used: Peterson et al
Age When Smoked: New

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Didn't Per from Mac Baren come on here and say they were not producing the Peterson blends?
I did some digging and apparently University Flake is supposed to have a plum topping. I have never detected this though.
I opened a fresh tin of University Flake from December 2013 and as previously mentioned here, the flakes are indeed wider and a thicker cut. Tastes just as good though, thankfully.
Wallace Flake also costs $2.00 more per tin than University Flake at P&C.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
To my taste buds they are pretty much the same. The Wallace Flake was much lighter in color than a tin of University Flake opened from May 2014. Everything is identical except for the little sticker that holds the inner paper wrap together. University Flake has a picture of the Peterson fellow and the words Superior Product printed on it whereas the Rattray's sticker is a picture of a tobacco leaf. The cut is identical to University Flake, same thickness, etc. About the only real difference is the price tag.

Status
Not open for further replies.