PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I've recently been sampling Rattray's offerings. I know they are noted for their VA forward blends, like Hal O' the Wynd, Old Gowrie and the famous VaPer flake Marlin Flake. But I've been sampling their Latakia line: Black Mallory, 7 Reserve, Accountants Mixture, Red Repparee and Highland Targe Tobacco (my favorite). I like the addition of Cavendish to Latakia blends, which is, as I understand, the basis for typical Scottish Mixtures. What's your favorite Rattray's blend and why. And what do you think of the current Made in Germany line? Also, has anyone tried Bagpiper's Dream?

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Marlin Flake is currently my favorite. I've been trying to get into Red Rapparee, but it just feels a bit light for me. I wish there was more Latakia in it (the booklet says it has it in it), but it's slowly growing on me. I still don't ever think it's something I'd cellar.
Since you've tried the lot is there one you'd recommend with a bit more Latakia in it? I'm not a fan of Balkan's or lat bombs, but I like a bit more Latakia in my "Englishes".

seanlamb63

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 20, 2013
Bethlehem
I smoked the Bagpiper's Dream, if you want a quality aromatic, that is the one. Room note and flavor are unsurpassed. Burns great as well, but does have a tendency to ghost a bit.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Jah - I haven't tried the lot. Just few of their Latakia line. I enjoy the addition of Cavendish to the Latakia, typical of Scottish Mixtures, because, it seems to me, to take away the deep campfire smokiness of the Latakia and thereby balances the blend. Or lightens it. I think Dunhill's 965 does this too. I've tried Red Repparee, Highland Targe Tobacco, Black Mallory, 7 Reserve, and Accountants Mixture. Of these I like HTT,the best, followed closely by RRR. I've heard good things about Bagpiper's Dream.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Red Rapparee was always the one with the most intense flavor for my palate but I enjoy less Latakia and more Cavendish so my personal favorite is Jock's Mixture. Probably not your cup of tea being that it's a pretty mild blend.

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
Rattrays are on my "to do list" not least as I have been gifted a 100g five year old tin of HoTW. I would be interested to hear views on 7 Reserve versus 3 Noggins, I almost bought both a few weeks ago but opted to buy Rich Dark Flake instead.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I'm kind of spoiled. My supply of Rattrays include a number of the older 4oz tins so they are aged 15 or more years. I currently have a tin of 3 Noggins open. It is much lighter in the latakia department than I expected. The Virginias really sing. I've enjoyed a couple of similar era Red Rapparee too. I highly recommend cellaring some of these for long term aging.
Mike S.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
@sean - Upon your recommendation, I will give this one a go.
@doc - RRR is definitively one I will revisit. Jock's being on the lighter side, I may pass on.
@mike - I agree. I think these blends, especially their VAs would be ideal candidates for aging.
Anyone have any views on the current German production as compared to the original Perth, Scotland production? Anyone know when the transition happened?

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Thanks for the info guys. I think I'll give Highland Targ a shot on my next order.
I'm trying to give the RRR a far shake. It's just missing something IMO. It's just not clicking yet.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Anyone have any views on the current German production as compared to the original Perth, Scotland production? Anyone know when the transition happened?
My opinion only but the Older versions were incredibly smooth and married for so long that the flavors were less pronounced but delicious, being that the tins I smoked were 20 years old. The newly manufactured blends from Kohlhause are excellent IMO and have more distinct flavors from each individual leaf only because they haven't been cellared for years. I have always regarded Rattray's Tobaccos as classic old time blends and the quality and flavor are still reminiscent of the old blends made in Perth. Like mikestanley recommends buying them for long term aging I totally agree. They are magnificent blends right now and will only get better with age.

I do not recall exactly when the transaction took place but the last tins that I bought "Made By" from Perth was back in 1990

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Thanks doc. I'm really enjoying these Scottish Mixtures, by the way, and, next payday, plan on stocking up for cellaring. You're right, they do have an Old World flavoring to them - mahogany desks and leather bound chairs, circa the gentleman's clubs of the 1930s.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Black Malory. I haven't tried any of the older tins to have a reference. I have tins of Marlin Flake and Ol' Gowrie aging right now.

evo03

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2013
I like Hal O the Wynd a lot. My opinion based on a recently purchased tin with very little age. I could of swore i was tasting Perique, but the tin doesn't mention it. Later I realized the German description lists perique. It bites me a little, but it suits my tastes more than Old Gowrie. To me Old Gowrie isn't as full flavored. Hal O also does DGT very well. I've got a couple tins aging.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
They are my favorite of all tobacco houses. Black Mallory is my favorite blend of all time. Of their Scottish line I love Black Mallory, Red Rapparee, Accountants Mixture, Highland Targe and Jock's. In their Virginia line Old Gowrie (or Glaurung around here) Marlin Flake and Hal o the Wynd.
The "Blended By" era , where the family owned and controlled production, ended sometime in the late '80s early '90s, when Rattray ceased to produce their own tobacco. That was followed by the 1st "Blended for" era where McConnell produced the blends. Then somewhere between '99-'02 the Germans invaded and K&K took over production. I do not believe the current German line is as good as the original era, of course , besides Sobranie, Bell and John Cotton, I don't think any of their contemporaries were as good. That said, I like the German iterations at least as well as anything on the market today, and were I limited to only one tobacco house to smoke it would be Rattray.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
As of my last two bowls of RRR I am finding that I like it better when I pack it "tightly" but with an air pocket underneath it. I get much more flavor instead of the thin stream I was getting. (Had a really nice smoke of it earlier in my Falcon) Highland Targ and Black Mallory are on my to buy list.
barleynbaccy. I really like Marlin's Flake but there has been a huge difference between my last two tins of it. I'm guessing the first one had some age on it, this one is good but it doesn't have the same sweetness to it.
There's just something I like about the tin shape/design and the little booklet that comes with it.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I have several tins of BagPiper in my cellar thanks to Peck sending me a tin. I've also got a tin of Jock's mixture opened right now that I'm trying to determine whether I love or it's just ok.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I've enjoyed every Rattray's blend I've tried -- although Terry Red was my least favorite -- and Rattray's tins make up a good part of my collection.
The one Rattray's blend that never gets much attention is Jocks Mixture, which I think is a delicious blend. For me, it's the perfect combination of cavendish and VA, with a touch of latakia. (I also enjoy much more latakia-dominant blends, but that's not what this one is supposed to be.) But I also thoroughly enjoy Black Mallory (I have a 1995 tin in the cellar that I'm dying to open), Brown Clunee, and the VA trio of OG, HotW, and MF. (Although I don't think it's accurate to call Marlin Flake a "VA/Per." I'm extremely sensitive to perique -- can't smoke it any quantity without serious issues -- and I can enjoy a slow bowl of MF. I'm not saying it doesn't have perique in it; I'm saying it's present in tiny quantities, making this more of a VA flake with a condimental amount of perique.)
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.