PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seadogontheland

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 4, 2014
This is a fine ribbon cut English blend which is a new addition to the Rattray line. The tin aroma is slightly sweet, slightly sour with a nice scent of latakia, but it is not overly forward. This was a little moist out of the tin, but 30 minutes drying time got it just as I like it, dry but not crispy. The charring light brings up some mustiness, sweetness from the VAs and a subdued smoky presence of latakia. There was a slight bite at the beginning of this smoke, but it subsided as my excitement waned and I slowed down a tad. After getting this going really well I found the VAs and the Orientals rule the show with a supporting appearance of the latakia. The unflavored black cav helps give this blend more body and there is a great deal of wonderful white smoke surrounding my head. Nicotine content is medium in strength and the smoke is quite full bodied and immensely satisfying. Due to such a fine ribbon cut this burns quickly, but leaves me satisfied after one bowl, though I could easily fire up another. This blend needed only two relights for me and burned cleanly to the heel with very little dottle, a dry smoke, to be sure, and it left my palate with a pleasantly light aftertaste of the whole wonderful mixture. A great smoke which commanded 4 out of 5 stars. I will let this sit for 6 months and see how it works at that point. I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
Nice review. I noticed a tin of this on my travels recently but found something else to buy instead. I read somewhere that is is very similar to (or nearly the same as) Peterson's Old Dublin? I just finished my last bowl of Old Dublin and it has been a while since I have had any. I was surrounded by smoke as I sat on the deck just aftern sunset.
Anyone tried both Red Lion and Old Dublin to compare them?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Red Lion is Old Dublin. K&K in Germany took over the production of Peterson blends and put them in the Rattray stable if I remember correctly. I'm sure others can confirm this.

Status
Not open for further replies.