Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
With the 50% off on Rattray's pipes on SP.com I'm seriously considering buying one I've been eyeing for a little while that doesn't have a filter.
I've never owned one before and I was hoping for some opinions. I prefer a pipe with an open draw and curious if the draw is opened enough on them. Can anyone with a Rattray's pipe that doesn't have a 9mm filter chime in?
Thanks

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
I grabbed one of the Old Gowries when the sale began and the draw is good. Not as wide open as a Sav 320ks but not tight by my standard. It's a great pipe so far, no complaints.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Thanks Coyote. Just got off the phone with Chip and he says it passes no problem. No resistance at all.
I'm pulling the trigger right now.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I went with the 12 no filter. For $59 how could I go wrong?
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Rattrays/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=211564
It looks similar to my Mimmo Provenzano I bought a week or two ago. That was my first canadian this is my second.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Also thank you sthbkr77.
Yeah I'm liking these smaller/lighter canadians. They seem to be very clenchable so far. I think this one will be as well.
I've got my eye on a Castello Canadian but I don't want to spend $500 lol.
I had looked at Rattray's before but didn't want the filters and the prices were more than Sav's so I always just ended up with a Sav instead. I'm curious to see how it compares.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
ha ha yup. I've got to get my PAD/TAD back under control. Luckily most of my purchases recently have been very reasonable.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I have 2 and there is a thread here on my new Marlin Zulu. Nice looking pipes and worth a shot at 50% off. At list price there are better options. Enjoy.

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
At that price how can you go wrong? I have three Rattray pipes. Two with 9mm filter and one without. I am happy with them all. I would consider buying more of them but I discovered Neerup which now takes all my pipe money.

Status
Not open for further replies.